GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

choice? GS350, CTS or an Infiniti M35 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 12:28 PM
TimC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choice? GS350, CTS or an Infiniti M35 (long)

I am car shopping car and looked at the GS 350. I own an 04' Acura TL w/6speed, but it time to move on to a luxary nameplate and better built car. It was originally my intention to buy an Infiniti G35, but my wife thought was small.

I went to Lexus with my wife because she thought she would like the GS 350but she did not like it. She thought it was cheap, but compared it to the LS. I had a concern with GS's head room and awfully quite and soft ride. I also am concerned with headroom, bland styling.Then we went to Infiniti to test drive the M35 which she liked but not much more, because the exhaust noise was apparent. I am not thrilled with Infiniti's gas mileage.

To screw things up I put the new Cadillac CTS into the mix which my wife absoluetly hates because of what the brand is. When given the choice, my wife would go back to the GS 350. (sly move on my part to get her to like the Lexus?)

Yet, I am impressed with the CTS and the GS 350 which both have direct injection and 6 speed auto. I am none too pleased that some Japanese mfg's are not up to "speed" on the trannies which GM is quite good at building.

The GS 350 get better gas milage, has better resale but kinda of sleepy Or, should I give an American car a chance which is built at least as good as my Acura

Now I'm back to the GS 350. Tell me what you think about the car aside from the fact that it is a Lexus. Many Thanks
Old 09-13-07, 12:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buying a car in this price range is hard.

if i were looking at just those 3 cars, i'd think they all suck somewhat. the lexus just sucks least.

infiniti is underpowerd and guzzles gas. exhaust note is intrusive.
and all the infiniti showrooms i've been to aren't welcoming. they've got that cheap 2nd class feel.

caddy still needs time to prove itself. but they have 100000 mile warranty now, no? going the way of hyundai....
Old 09-13-07, 12:56 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with dunnojack.

I'd take a look at the BMW 5 and MB E-class.

I decided against the M35 because of the same reason - horrible fuel efficiency due to the transmission. Well, there are other little things but that's more of a personal preference. I thought the CTS is smaller? I thought the CTS is a competitor of BMW 3 and MB C-class? But I personally like GM the best out of all American cars and maybe you should give it a shot.

As for my dislikes of the 3GS, I'm 5'11" and I think the headroom is adequate for me. However, I've had taller people in the car and I didn't think they're comfortable, especially someone at 6'5"... But it wasn't so comfortable that he couldn't endure a 3-hour drive. Other than that, the only thing that bothers me is the ride height (my AWD has about a 4-inch wheel gap) and although the trunk has enough space for multiple sets of golf clubs, the opening is quite small so I have to maneuver them around.

Keep in mind that Lexus was created based on the combination of luxury and elegance, therefore you're going to find a soft and quiet ride, even on a sport/luxury sedan such as the 3GS. I would personally say it's a sporty luxury sedan whereas the BMW 5, for example, is a luxurious sport sedan.

Lastly, coming to a 3GS board, you're going to get mostly biased answers. But good luck deciding!
Old 09-13-07, 01:40 PM
TimC
Rookie

I think your guys are quite fair an unbiased and pointed out some things I did not think of. It is a tough class to compare. I ruled out MB and BMW becuase of reliability an resale. I asked my wife to go for another drive in the GS 350. Here in the Mid-Atlanitic, I can really only get AWD, and hence the 17 inch wheels.
Old 09-13-07, 01:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TimC
I think your guys are quite fair an unbiased and pointed out some things I did not think of. It is a tough class to compare. I ruled out MB and BMW becuase of reliability an resale. I asked my wife to go for another drive in the GS 350. Here in the Mid-Atlanitic, I can really only get AWD, and hence the 17 inch wheels.
Did you look at the Caddy STS AWD? IMHO the angular lines look better on the slightly larger STS than they do on the CTS. You might pick up a little interior room and trunk space in the STS.
Old 09-13-07, 01:56 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimC
My GS350 AWD came with the 17"s as well but I bought a set of 18"s and put them on.

I'd rule out MB for reliability as well due to personal experience with a MY05 W203 and a MY04 W209 and I didn't go with the BMW 5 because it's probably getting re-styled for MY10.

I think the bland styling is a personal preference because when I was shopping, I thought the 3GS is the most appealing and would last longer than the M35 (design-wise).

Well I think you are really limited on choices now on sedans in the price range since MB/BMW/Acura are all out...

I'd think the competitor of the 3GS from Cadillac would be the STS?
Old 09-13-07, 02:20 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

You might want to re-think the reliability aspect of Mercedes. I'm not just saying this because I own one, but they just took 5th place in the JD Power reliablity ratings for 2007. You should check out the list, I think everyone will be surprised who is in the top 10. BMW is still well towards the bottom..

Last edited by pjonkheer; 09-13-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 02:40 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My Sister has an 07 GS350 I love the way it drives. The only thing I dislike is when me and wife go out with her and her friend I hate sitting in the cramped back seat.
Old 09-13-07, 03:40 PM
vbclown
Driver School Candidate

I'm on the fence, shopping in the same class myself. GS350 and 535i are my two front runners, but other cars you might look at:

Volvo S80 T-6
Audi A6 3.2

The Volvo just didn't tickle my fancy (although it has great seats, and decent styling). The Audi probably would be my frontrunner but I own a 2001 A6 and have had a few unlucky problems with the only local dealer, so probably won't go back to them.

The only car in this thread that I haven't looked at yet is the MB (E350) but it seems to have a less powerful engine than any of these others in the class. The new Jag coming out next quarter is another dark-horse.

Last edited by vbclown; 09-13-07 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Called the MB the E550 when I meant the E350
Old 09-13-07, 04:22 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Infiniti M35/45. As far as the professional reviews in car magazine such as Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc. all gave M better overall review than the GS. But I am biased on GS because it looks sexier...
Old 09-13-07, 04:47 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vbclown
The only car in this thread that I haven't looked at yet is the MB (E550) but it seems to have a less powerful engine than any of these others in the class. The new Jag coming out next quarter is another dark-horse.
I hope you meant E350 and even then it will run with any of the others mentioned. The E550 is the most powerful car in it's class hands down! It has 382hp and will do the 1/4 run in 13.5 seconds! Trust me, it's an absolute beast but at the same time will also have the worst MPG of all.
Old 09-13-07, 04:59 PM
POBLACK
Driver School Candidate

The new CTS is serious. I think it will draw a lot of people to Cadillac.

I'm not really into Infinity. To me it's more of an entry level type high end car.

As for BMW, I don't like the styling of the 5 series. I actually was debating on getting certified pre owned BMW 6 series or the lexus GS350. I test drove both and the lexus won. I couldn't believe how good the lexus drove and the interior looks great.
Old 09-13-07, 05:31 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

The GS is real fun car once you turn VSC and Trac off. I think the GS doesn't really have dull styling, its a great car. The GS can't cheap stuling cause its almost better than the S550's plastic, the GS is a great car.
Old 09-13-07, 06:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Call me biased, I love Lexus! But there are some serious contenders out there. I saw the new CTS when it was unveiled in Detroit at NAIAS 2007 earlier this year. Let me tell you, Cadillac really did their homework on that car.
Old 09-13-07, 06:51 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
You might want to re-think the reliability aspect of Mercedes. I'm not just saying this because I own one, but they just took 5th place in the JD Power reliablity ratings for 2007. You should check out the list, I think everyone will be surprised who is in the top 10. BMW is still well towards the bottom..
Keep in mind yours is an AMG, which are significantly more reliable than regular MB's.

Originally Posted by vbclown
I'm on the fence, shopping in the same class myself. GS350 and 535i are my two front runners, but other cars you might look at:

Volvo S80 T-6
Audi A6 3.2

The Volvo just didn't tickle my fancy (although it has great seats, and decent styling). The Audi probably would be my frontrunner but I own a 2001 A6 and have had a few unlucky problems with the only local dealer, so probably won't go back to them.

The only car in this thread that I haven't looked at yet is the MB (E550) but it seems to have a less powerful engine than any of these others in the class. The new Jag coming out next quarter is another dark-horse.
The new S80 looks great and has some innovative features but the interior layout was not for me.

The new A6 looks great as well but for how much it costs with comparable options as the 3GS, I would rather get a BMW 5.

Quick Reply: choice? GS350, CTS or an Infiniti M35 (long)