GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Turn by Turn guidance not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 05:09 PM
Shon.nv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn by Turn guidance not working

I just the DVD/Blutooth bypass a few days ago, the navi guidance was working fine but a friend of mine borrowed my car for his Mom's wedding and today when he brought it back, the navi doesnt guide by voice. When I punch an address, it tells me to "proceed to the highlighted route and the guidance will start" but it doesnt. Also when I miss a turn, it doesnt re-route automatically. I checked all the options in menu, they all seem to be ok but still cant get the voice guidance.

Edit: I only did the DVD/Blutotooth bypass, NOT THE NAVI. Reading this thread didnt help.
Old 09-22-07, 07:04 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

does the screen scroll smoothly while in map mode ?? are the buttons disabled for destination while car is in motion ??? if so, then you did not inadvertently cut the wrong wire and you may simply reboot the system or somehting ??
Old 09-22-07, 09:28 PM
Shon.nv
Rookie

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
does the screen scroll smoothly while in map mode ?? are the buttons disabled for destination while car is in motion ??? if so, then you did not inadvertently cut the wrong wire and you may simply reboot the system or somehting ??
Yes the screen is smooth, the buttons are not active while moving but I do the Navi override from the Menu>Speaker icon trick. It was working fine for a few days but it just stopped. It tells me to proceed to the nearest route and also tells me when I reach the destination but doesnt say the turn by turn guidance.

How do you re-boot the system, do I pull a fuse or something from the fuse box in the trunk or disconnect the battery?
Old 09-23-07, 12:07 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

It's a wire problem. You needed to make 3 cuts, 1 PKB and 2 VSS. Ground the PKB and jumper the 2 VSS with a switch while terminating the remaining ends. From your description, I can tell you that you connected the wrong ends to the switch. Go back and retrace your steps.
Old 09-23-07, 04:42 AM
Shon.nv
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
It's a wire problem. You needed to make 3 cuts, 1 PKB and 2 VSS. Ground the PKB and jumper the 2 VSS with a switch while terminating the remaining ends. From your description, I can tell you that you connected the wrong ends to the switch. Go back and retrace your steps.
Switch? What switch?. I followed this guy's DIY it clearly said NO SWITCH NEEDED. Should I still put a switch? do I have to have a switch but how come it was working and it just stopped.
Old 09-23-07, 07:50 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Robert thought you did the whole hack, look at this thread and pic in there
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249372

I had to refresh my memory a bit....That purple wire way to the left is the one being cut for the BT...

The yellow one cut is the parking brake and the end that goes to the harness (radio unit) needs to be grounded so that the radio thinks the car is in park always. You are tellin us you did nothing to the pink wire...

here is your problem, if you had no nav, what you did would be fine....but you have navigation....read that link above and post 2 , here is a quote
"I did this bypass on a GS300 with Nav and no-ML, but I had to install a switch as simply disrupting that single wire messed up the NAV badly.....by that I mean the vehicle depended only on satellite to locate itself on the map, and it was very erroneous, close but off enough to upset me. So the switch essentially recompletes the circuit so that it is as if the bypass is not there and Nav gets VSS input. YES this single wire feeds the VSS input into nav..... "

Here is the issue, the purple wire feeds the radio and the signal is passed internally to the pink wire to the right which is taking the VSS signal away from the radio and to the nav unit (nav unit is not in the radio).......so on a gs with Nav you are required to do the whole hack or you need a swicth on the purple wire ...why was nav working ok before, i dont know, it does not make sense, also your display should not be smooth, and you can tell this when you are on the most magnified map view and drive a bit, the arrow will move on the map very erratically, hard to tell unless you have observed the way it should be closely

back to the switch, NO SWITCH IS NEEDED ON A NON-NAV CAR. FOR NAV , It can be confusing.....a switch can go in 2 places (though probably none of us do the first)

if you put a switch on the purple wire, you flip it off to dial out and usually leave it on so your nav is smooth and BT dial is disabled OR better way is

you cut the pink wire (right side) then you use a switch to connect the purple wire coming from the deep side of the dash (not radio) to the pink going away from the radio (to the nav). then this switch is on all the time except to input addresses, what that does is t allows the purple VSS signal to go to the nav (which you have scrwed up by cutting now)....
Attached Thumbnails Turn by Turn guidance not working-pic.jpg  

Last edited by EyeKutr; 09-23-07 at 08:40 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 09-23-07, 07:55 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

another pic showing connections, purple and pick wires are attached to a switch via black wire soldered on (note the ends that are used - not the ends at the harness connectors)
Attached Thumbnails Turn by Turn guidance not working-pic1.jpg  
Old 09-23-07, 07:56 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

last pic showing what it should look like before assembly
Attached Thumbnails Turn by Turn guidance not working-pic2.jpg  
Old 09-23-07, 10:54 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shon.nv
Switch? What switch?. I followed this guy's DIY it clearly said NO SWITCH NEEDED. Should I still put a switch? do I have to have a switch but how come it was working and it just stopped.
I didn't do the switch.
You need the switch if "doing the screen hack" becomes a pain.
The switch enables you to just "flip" it then you can quickly do the input of a destination.

Without the switch you just always have to do the screen tap/hack, but I am assuming you have the 5.1 like I do, or you hve the 6.1 but did a hybrid 5.1 for the override... and no switch is needed if you don't mind doing the finger tap hack.

But your wire could still be messed up.

What boggles me is that is "was" working perfectly turn by turn a few days ago, and if nothing was changed why did it all of a sudden stop working. Odd, very odd.
Try rebooting. Unplug that black plug, btm back of nav, see if that helps by rebooting....
Old 09-23-07, 11:03 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jace7
I didn't do the switch.
You need the switch if "doing the screen hack" becomes a pain.
The switch enables you to just "flip" it then you can quickly do the input of a destination.

Without the switch you just always have to do the screen tap/hack, but I am assuming you have the 5.1 like I do, or you hve the 6.1 but did a hybrid 5.1 for the override... and no switch is needed if you don't mind doing the finger tap hack.

But your wire could still be messed up.

What boggles me is that is "was" working perfectly turn by turn a few days ago, and if nothing was changed why did it all of a sudden stop working. Odd, very odd.
Try rebooting. Unplug that black plug, btm back of nav, see if that helps by rebooting....

Jace
you did not do a switch but did you cut the pink and connect to the purple without a switch ???? I think this is essential, if you dont do it, then you lose smooth scroll right ??? I think the original poster cut the purple yellow and did not re route to the pink......
Old 09-23-07, 06:19 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shon.nv
I get emails like this all the time. Yes, you need the switch, with nav you can't do half the mod, you have to do the whole thing. If you have a regular 07+ GS350 with 6.1 nav software, you have to add the switch. G/L
Old 09-23-07, 08:46 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Jace
you did not do a switch but did you cut the pink and connect to the purple without a switch ???? I think this is essential, if you dont do it, then you lose smooth scroll right ??? I think the original poster cut the purple yellow and did not re route to the pink......
yes, I cut three wires.
grounded the yellow, and took the proper side of the purple and connected it to the proper side of the white with silver dots.

smooth scolling<.
Old 09-24-07, 09:53 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as Jace said, you do NOT have to do the switch. i just do the screen button push when i need nav buttons on the go.

my nav guidance has never had any issues (more than 2 years since i did it) and it is smooth scrolling and voice guidance works.

perhaps the connection of the VSS wires was faulty and you need to reconnect them. when you were using the nav, the little arrow wasn't moving along the street at all?
Old 09-25-07, 05:10 AM
Shon.nv
Rookie

Before I do this, let me make sure what I understood.

Diagram 1:
Attached Thumbnails Turn by Turn guidance not working-navi-dgm.jpg  

Last edited by Shon.nv; 09-25-07 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-25-07, 05:14 AM
Shon.nv
Rookie

Or diagram 2. This is what I have right now minus the switch.
Attached Thumbnails Turn by Turn guidance not working-nav-dgm2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Turn by Turn guidance not working