GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Refurbished Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 03:10 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refurbished Rims

The insurance co. representing the person who hit my car is insisting that they have to be "cost economical" and that I must accept a repaired rim in lieu of a new one. There are enough scrapes and gouges on it that it is noticeable or I wouldn't even mess with it. My concern about refurbished rims is how well they hold up, i.e., peeling or pitting, etc. Has anyone had a rim repaired? I'm getting very angry and I'm thinking I'm going to fight this. This is an '07 Lexus with less than 7,000 mi. at the time of the accident, and I can't see why someone else's insurance co. should dictate what is put on a practically new car.
Old 10-04-07, 03:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
The insurance co. representing the person who hit my car is insisting that they have to be "cost economical" and that I must accept a repaired rim in lieu of a new one. There are enough scrapes and gouges on it that it is noticeable or I wouldn't even mess with it. My concern about refurbished rims is how well they hold up, i.e., peeling or pitting, etc. Has anyone had a rim repaired? I'm getting very angry and I'm thinking I'm going to fight this. This is an '07 Lexus with less than 7,000 mi. at the time of the accident, and I can't see why someone else's insurance co. should dictate what is put on a practically new car.
There really isn't anything wrong with remanufactured/reconditioned wheels. It is an industry standard repair. A good wheel company that does this operation will strip the wheel to the bare metal, repair the damaged areas, then refinish it. Rim repairs are hit and miss. There are absolutely amazing ones, and there are those that just get the job done.

Which wheels do you have, the 5 spoke liquid graphite 18s or the standard 10 spoke 17s. Since you are the claimant, I would insist on a new oem replacement considering it is a 2007. I can understand on a car a little older, but in terms of customer service, the right thing to do would be to replace it.
Old 10-04-07, 03:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just talk to your insurance and have them deal with it
Old 10-04-07, 04:40 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

i've done it before...each rim should cost around $100-150...mine also had a 3 inch lip in the back...so yea...heh
Old 10-04-07, 06:48 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it does depend on who does it, but in most cases I noticed the color is not a EXACT match... I used to worked for several dealerships before, so I know... not as shiney in most cases, and if you repair/repaint/refurbish one, you need to do the same for all 4 for a perfect match in color...
Old 10-04-07, 07:02 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in addition, make sure there are no hairline cracks in the wheel....

kiss your wheel goodbye if it's not a good repair
Old 10-04-07, 10:23 PM
tjp74
Driver

How about buying a dealer take offs sold on ebay? i see a practically new 17" rim go for $100 to $150 each. Better then repaired ones which may not match the sheen and color of rest of your wheels.
Old 10-05-07, 06:52 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Thanks for your replies. Many of you have mentioned the issues that I would be concerned about if they refinished the rim. It's not my insurance co. giving me the hard time, it's State Farm representing the person who hit me. My insurance didn't hesitate to write me a new rim because it's an '07, but I'm not going thru them. I don't really have time for this aggravation, but I'm going to do what I can to get a new rim. I'm not comfortable with a "hit or miss" deal of reparing it. Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-05-07, 07:42 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your replies. Many of you have mentioned the issues that I would be concerned about if they refinished the rim. It's not my insurance co. giving me the hard time, it's State Farm representing the person who hit me. My insurance didn't hesitate to write me a new rim because it's an '07, but I'm not going thru them. I don't really have time for this aggravation, but I'm going to do what I can to get a new rim. I'm not comfortable with a "hit or miss" deal of reparing it. Thanks again for your input.
State Farm always tries to play it tough. If you have concerns, don't agree with it.
If the scrapes are not so deep that surface material has be be grinded away, repairing should be fine. Reducing mass would be my only concern.
Old 10-05-07, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it might actually save time if you just go through your insurance company and have them fight with state farm