GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

very slight dent on front of hood..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 09:23 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very slight dent on front of hood..........

Yesterday I noticed a very slight dent on the front of my hood of my 07 GS350. The light has to be just right to be able to see it. In fact it is so slight that I was unable to get a picture of it. Someone may have sat on it, or for all I know it was there when I bought the car about a year ago.

There are dent removers that can lift a dent out like this. I know that it is no big deal, but has someone here done this and what would you recommend?

The dent is located where the red circle is almost above the Lexus emblem on the front area of the hood. Yes, I know this is ****!

Old 10-05-07, 09:32 AM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

got any better pics?
Old 10-05-07, 09:44 AM
safricags
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol not ****, these cars do this to a normally sane person hehe
Old 10-05-07, 10:22 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

heh...can't really tell...
Old 10-05-07, 11:43 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

most of the time when I obsess over stuff just like this, I am reminded that no one else on the planet would either notice or care.

Find a guy who will do paintless dent repairs in your area as that will be your best bet. I've had it done on my previous car before and it truly works.
Old 10-05-07, 11:44 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've used paintless dent removal and it is worth every penny to remove eyesores. they can get pretty bad and big dents out from just about anywhere, as long as they are skilled. (it used to be that factory creases in the fender were off limits, but the skilled ones can do it now)

the only sugggestion i would make is to rack up your dents before calling b/c the first dent is usually like $75, and then all others are like marginal cost since they are already there (most shops do mobile service). so if you have other door dings that you can put into their visit, the cost really decreases per dent.

i can't see it either in your pic, but i know how bothersome it can be. we have a few ourselves but the car is almost up on lease so i'm not going to bother this time.
Old 10-05-07, 11:59 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i've used paintless dent removal and it is worth every penny to remove eyesores. they can get pretty bad and big dents out from just about anywhere, as long as they are skilled. (it used to be that factory creases in the fender were off limits, but the skilled ones can do it now)

the only sugggestion i would make is to rack up your dents before calling b/c the first dent is usually like $75, and then all others are like marginal cost since they are already there (most shops do mobile service). so if you have other door dings that you can put into their visit, the cost really decreases per dent.

i can't see it either in your pic, but i know how bothersome it can be. we have a few ourselves but the car is almost up on lease so i'm not going to bother this time.
Thanks for your comments! I may do nothing, but I know it's there now and it bugs me!

There is no way I can take a picture of this, because it is only noticeable when you catch the light right and move your head back and forth and the dent will slightly bend the light. I am a good photographer and no matter how I tried (even Macro mode), I could not get the dent to show up. I does not crease the metal, it is just a slight smooth indentation about the size of a dime.
Old 10-05-07, 12:05 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Cut-Throat....I'm the same as you....call it ****....but you know your GS inside/out....just shows how much you care about your ride. Do you have a clear bra installed? Nice investment to protect from rock chips....
Old 10-05-07, 12:19 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BKE420
Cut-Throat....I'm the same as you....call it ****....but you know your GS inside/out....just shows how much you care about your ride. Do you have a clear bra installed? Nice investment to protect from rock chips....
I do not have a clear-bra. And it would probably not protect from this particular dent as it was pushed in rather than a chip. I also did not have a bra on my 99 GS300. After 8 years, I only had to touch up a half dozen or so rock chips. But then, I don't tailgate, which is where you pick up most of these chips.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 10-05-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 09:11 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

well to do what I am about to mention you need to actually have a dent you can see, and I couldn't see anything from the picture......

But if it is about the size of your fist and if it actually goes in, (meaning isn't a flat dent) try goign to the super market and getting a block of dry ice.

Obviously to handle dry ice you need some really think work gloves, preferable very thick rubber.... but take the dry ice and sit it on the hood of your car.
It won't harm your paint but there is a good chance the dry ice would "pop" that dent right out.

I have done it on previous cars with great success, so let me konw what you decide and how it turns out.

**** be careful not to touch it to your skin**** it will give you serious burns very fast.
Old 10-07-07, 09:25 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
well to do what I am about to mention you need to actually have a dent you can see, and I couldn't see anything from the picture......

But if it is about the size of your fist and if it actually goes in, (meaning isn't a flat dent) try goign to the super market and getting a block of dry ice.

Obviously to handle dry ice you need some really think work gloves, preferable very thick rubber.... but take the dry ice and sit it on the hood of your car.
It won't harm your paint but there is a good chance the dry ice would "pop" that dent right out.

I have done it on previous cars with great success, so let me konw what you decide and how it turns out.

**** be careful not to touch it to your skin**** it will give you serious burns very fast.
The size of the 'dent' is like a small 'cat eye' - about the size of a dime.
Old 10-07-07, 09:53 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

OK, I tried to get a picture of the dent, but it is impossible to see unless you move your head. So just to show you how **** I can be (believe me it's not easy being me) -

I waxed the area where the dent is and I took a picture of my car with a stereo receiver being reflected in it. You can see the tuning dial across my car and the spot where the tuning dial gets wide is the dent. So the reflection is what is noticeable and how the dent distorts light and objects. The more I think about this, this is truly nuts and I will probably only make matters worse by trying to correct it.

Old 10-07-07, 12:22 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That dent is from the mechanics thumb, when he closed the hood after the last oil change.
Old 10-07-07, 02:06 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I hate to think our hoods can be dented with a thumb, I see the reflection distortion, I am pretty sure e PDR guy can fix that.
Old 10-07-07, 02:15 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ServerTech
That dent is from the mechanics thumb, when he closed the hood after the last oil change.
I think you're probably right. - Either opening the hood or closing it.

Thumbs can dent cars! - I had my windshield replaced on my 99 GS300 and metal stripping along the tops of the doors had to be removed and re-attached to get at the windshield. The gorilla that replaced the windshield left similar dents all along the metal strip with his thumbs when he pushed the metal strip back into place.