GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wheel/Tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 11:15 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel/Tire noise

My 06 GS300 has about 7,000 miles and I have noticed a noise coming from the tires as they rotate, the faster I go the faster the noise sounds. I dont have run flats and I have read some of the posts on here about tire noise. It's hard to tell if it's noise from the tires or from the bearing/spindle area.

Here's what throws me off, if the noise came from the tire the noise should change when I hit different types of pavement (LA area so you can go from old asphalt to new asphalt to cement streets twice in a 2 mile stretch) - it doesn't change.

I'm taking the car to dealership (longo) on 10/15 to have them check it out --any ideas on what I can ask them to check?? Im sure they will try and blow me off by just telling me it's tire noise but that just doesn't jive for me.

Thanks to y'all in advance.
Old 10-09-07, 02:30 PM
Kosmos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my experience, my tires created the annoying noise... changed all four out and now I can hear the noise coming from inside the cabin...
Longo Lexus has a good reputation for quality service...take a ride with the service rep. im sure its very easy for you to duplicate the noise for him/her.
Old 10-09-07, 04:00 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One ease way to check for a bad wheel bearing is after you drive the car simply touch each wheel (not the discs or tires). If you have a bad bearing the wheel will be damn hot. Noticeable hotter than the other wheels. Look at your tires and see if they are wearing evenly (inside tread same wear as outside tread) with no signs of cupping (grooves of wear on the treads). If you have the Advan tires, I am 99% sure that it's your tires. I should know, I have the Advans and they starting making noise at around 6000 miles.

Good luck. If they are your tires, you might have to take your case to corporate. I'm still waiting for their decision.
Old 10-09-07, 04:35 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help. I seriously doubt it's a bearing problem with the car being so new and chances are pretty good it is the tire, I've just never encountered this one before --- and this is my 3rd GS (1st gen, 2nd gen, now 3rd gen).
Old 10-09-07, 04:46 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't say I have really watched but I would guess that somewhere between five and ten thousand miles is when I notice a marked increase in the tire noise. Just seems to be a fact of life in the modern tires. I have never found the two second gen GS's we have to be quiet cars. When my wife complained to Lexus they said the GS was a sport sedan and that if we wanted quiet she should have gotten an ES or LS. Shopping around right now really has demonstrated to me that the car makers have been sliding the structure and it shows in interior quiet. Thin glass and reducing insulation are the norm to cut down on weight. Everything from the Audi A8 to the new Ford Focus have gone to increasing glass thickness (the Audi even has a dual pane option) and adding more insulation to quiet things down. I have added a lot of sound deadening to my GS and it has made it tolerable but when the tires start howling, there's little to be done.

I have several patches of road around here that I try to test drive models on because I know they are really bad. If you have grooved pavement like we do, you have to really make sure you can tell the noisy stretches from the quiet stretches. And we haven't had a freeway repaved around here in quite a few years and all of them are pretty noisy right now.
Old 10-09-07, 04:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Armand
Thanks for the help. I seriously doubt it's a bearing problem with the car being so new and chances are pretty good it is the tire, I've just never encountered this one before --- and this is my 3rd GS (1st gen, 2nd gen, now 3rd gen).
Being new doesn't always matter. Hitting the sidewall on a curb can ruin a bearing.