GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: How do you like the alternate TSIB brake pads?
I like them. They provide the same (or better) braking performance.
47.06%
I do NOT like them. They made braking performance worse.
17.65%
I have not done it, but will get it done in the future.
17.65%
I will not get it done. (or) I don't have a GS, but I want to vote anyways...
17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 09:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...

I wanted to ask GS owners who got the TSIB done:

Do you find braking performance better or the same? Do you think it's worse?
Less or more dust? Was it worth the swap?

Feel free to make comments.

I post this for you because IS members also want to know how well the alternative brake pads perform in the real world...
Old 10-11-07, 09:08 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The little bit of sacrifice for grippy brakes compared to wheels covered in brake dust after every 250 miles is well worth the trade off. I haven't had a problem stopping yet...
I need to do it on my wifes car but keep forgetting to do so.
Old 10-11-07, 09:14 PM
lexus4dfw
Rookie

I can tell virtually no difference in performance. It was a no brainer for me, that brake dust was ridiculous!! I would do it again in a minute.
Old 10-11-07, 09:22 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

No brainer, just make sure you let them know you want your rotors resurfaced or replaced.
Old 10-11-07, 09:24 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

I had my TSIB on brake pads done back in May of 2007, at the same time, my serviceman also resurfaced the rotors from 29.5mm to 29.0mm.

First thing I noticed after the TSIB had been done to my vehicle, was that the brakes are not as sharp as before. It takes longer distance to stop the vehicle completely, maybe 15-25% longer. Once you are accustome to the performance, you will distance youself further from the vehicle infront.

Overall, I am very happy with the TSIB. It is worth to trade off the braking performance over wiping off the brake dust daily!!!
Old 10-11-07, 11:44 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands down the BEST mod ive done so far!!!

I was cleaning my wheels EVERY day! Totally sucked.

People who say they can "feel the difference in braking and its not worth it because......." those people are freakin' crazy!! (not to mention, probly the same people who are too damn lazy to clean they're wheels themselves, and are rollin' around with front wheels all caked up with brake dust after 1-2 days!!!)

i BARELY noticed any difference....just get it done, end of story!!!
Old 10-12-07, 05:48 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Slight difference in feel, but totally worth it. bobbyt, if you got 250 miles of clean wheels, you were damn lucky. My car was a "clean them every day" kind of thing.
Old 10-12-07, 07:27 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I've had mine replaced about 5-6 months ago. While the elimination of dust is great, I have noticed insufficient braking performance on several occasions. After those occasions I have adjusted my expectations of the braking performances, and will hopefully not experience any incidents resulting in a collision.
Old 10-12-07, 07:38 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Just how often does one have to slam on the brakes to test the full potential of braking power anyway? I have only done it once...

Anyways, definitely worth it.
Old 10-12-07, 12:02 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Just how often does one have to slam on the brakes to test the full potential of braking power anyway? I have only done it once...
Slamming in the brakes just once will tell you very little about their performance. Performance when the brakes are hot (due to repeated braking), or when they are wet, or when you just pulled out of the driveway on the cold morning, are all much more important than the test you performed. I have observed a noticeable brake fade (reduced performance due to repeated braking) with the new pads.
Old 10-12-07, 12:34 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

After reading the previous posts....It seems like a good altenative from constantly cleaning my wheels. Does one just call their local dealer and request the brake/rotor change?? Is there a cost associated with this?
Old 10-12-07, 02:15 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BKE420
After reading the previous posts....It seems like a good altenative from constantly cleaning my wheels. Does one just call their local dealer and request the brake/rotor change?? Is there a cost associated with this?

No charge. Tell em there is a TSIB concerning this issue and they'll take care of it. You might wanna schedule it to make sure they have the pads in stock, but if its any dealership worth a crap, they probly have em!

BTW: its JUST the pads, no rotors or anything else.
Old 10-12-07, 04:47 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
Slamming in the brakes just once will tell you very little about their performance. Performance when the brakes are hot (due to repeated braking), or when they are wet, or when you just pulled out of the driveway on the cold morning, are all much more important than the test you performed. I have observed a noticeable brake fade (reduced performance due to repeated braking) with the new pads.
How many miles do you have on the new brakes? Mine took at least 5k miles to bed in and now they are just as grabby as the original pads.
Old 10-12-07, 06:47 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
How many miles do you have on the new brakes? Mine took at least 5k miles to bed in and now they are just as grabby as the original pads.
About 5,000 miles. I had mine swapped at the initial 5,000 mile service, and I'm at 9,600 now.
Old 10-12-07, 10:07 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I’m glad I had the TSIB done, but like the rest have noticed a little less bit and a little more pressure on the peddle to stop. How every once in a while I have noticed the pads seems to bit very well nearly like the OEM setup, this usually happens in the mornings. All and all very happy. I have 2500 miles on them now.

Quick Reply: Brake TSIB Afterthoughts...