GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

iPhone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 02:46 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation iPhone?

The iPhone has already sold over a million units. And, they expect to break the 10 million unit mark in the next year or two.

Given this, I am completely baffled as to why the iPhone compatibility isn't listed on the Lexus website for the GS or for any other Lexus model. They keep adding other new phones, which have sold many fewer units, but not the iPhone

I wrote Lexus and got a reply. The Lexus rep told me that the reason the iPhone was not listed was because the iPhone has some compatibility issues with Lexus cars. Well, hello!, every phone has some compatibility issues, that is what the matrix is for -- to specify EXACTLY what the issues are, so phone buyers can make a knowledgeable choice. And I know the iPhone, which I don't have yet but may get, is at least partially compatible with Lexus cars because many people on these forums have reported using them. Grrr.
Old 10-27-07, 03:20 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
The iPhone has already sold over a million units. And, they expect to break the 10 million unit mark in the next year or two.

Given this, I am completely baffled as to why the iPhone compatibility isn't listed on the Lexus website for the GS or for any other Lexus model. They keep adding other new phones, which have sold many fewer units, but not the iPhone

I wrote Lexus and got a reply. The Lexus rep told me that the reason the iPhone was not listed was because the iPhone has some compatibility issues with Lexus cars. Well, hello!, every phone has some compatibility issues, that is what the matrix is for -- to specify EXACTLY what the issues are, so phone buyers can make a knowledgeable choice. And I know the iPhone, which I don't have yet but may get, is at least partially compatible with Lexus cars because many people on these forums have reported using them. Grrr.
I guess Apple has to do a better job compying with the Bluetooth standard, that's all. Dont blame Lexus for this.
Old 10-27-07, 05:23 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default But it IS Lexus fault

Originally Posted by vladbph
I guess Apple has to do a better job compying with the Bluetooth standard, that's all. Dont blame Lexus for this.
All phones comply to various degrees. It's not a yes or no question. That is what matrix does -- tells you to what degree each the phone complies.

If the only phones they tested were ones that were perfect, there would be no point in having a matrix. Instead it could be just a yes or no box beside each phone, and since (almost?) all of the phones have some problems --(thanks to the current matrix) we know which phones have which problems -- the list could be a long list of phones with the note "not fully compatible" beside each phone.
Old 10-27-07, 06:51 PM
nate4241
Driver School Candidate

i have an iphone and it works perfectly fine in my 2007 gs 350
Old 10-27-07, 08:39 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nate4241
This is a great example of why need the matrix filled out by Lexus testers.

For this person, for example, the iPhone "works perfectly fine." Maybe he didn't need the contacts/phone book transfer so he didn't try it, or maybe he did and it worked fine. Maybe he didn't need the "w" and "p" functionality so he didn't try it, or maybe he did and it worked fine.

That is why we need Lexus to try all of the standard features in the matrix and report on what features worked and what didn't. Once we have that we can make an imformed decision based on what features are important to us. (For the record, I don't care about the entire phone book tranfer at all, which many people do, but I do care very much about the ability to transfer or input directly a number with an embedded "p" or "w" = pause or wait, which few people care about but I do.)

Last edited by steverhode; 10-27-07 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 03:30 PM
Avid1
Rookie

I have an '07 GS 350. My iPhone occasionally loses its Bluetooth connection to where I have to pick up the handset to finish my call.
Old 10-28-07, 07:16 PM
djentee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Avid1
I have an '07 GS 350. My iPhone occasionally loses its Bluetooth connection to where I have to pick up the handset to finish my call.
I'm curious to what's causing this issue for you. I have the iPhone also but never experienced losing the BT connection.
Old 10-31-07, 12:57 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question iPhone call quality?

Originally Posted by nate4241
Can you or anyone else tell me what is the iPhone call quality -- on both ends -- when using iPhone via bluetooth (Lexus speakerphone) ni your GS350? Thanks.
Old 10-31-07, 03:45 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
Can you or anyone else tell me what is the iPhone call quality -- on both ends -- when using iPhone via bluetooth (Lexus speakerphone) ni your GS350? Thanks.
I've used several BT phones in the GS... Razor, Sony Ericsson. The iPhone seems to be the best for me so far. Also if you want to dial a number from the phone, with the iPhones big display (thats meant for fast finger use) makes it easy as well. Its easy to see and operate at a glance while driving. Anyone I talk to says the sound quality is great on their end as well.

Now if I could only wirelessly stream my music from the iPhone to the Mark Levinson system. That would be cool!!

Last edited by scottmyers; 10-31-07 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 05:08 AM
fR00r
Driver School Candidate

it works with my LS430 just fine ..