GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pulled Trigger on GS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 12:34 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS300 to a 2008 ... me too (plans)

Originally Posted by made_in_japan
I just got out of a 98 gs300. But I do notice a big handling difference. It is not bad for the stock suspension. It probably has lots to do with the run flats that I unfortunately got with mine. But all that will be gone in the near future. I know there was some complaints with interior noise with the squeeks and all and I do notice while driving on the 405 a ticking coming from the driver side door.
Since my plans are to go from a 98 GS300 to a 2008 GS350, I do hope you write more about your feelings. I am especially interested in your comments that do not have to do with the V-8 but with the car in general. Thanks and looking forward to hearing more.
Old 11-04-07, 01:00 PM
made_in_japan
Rookie

Steverhode, 98 gs300, was very much underpowered in my opinion. I test drove a gs350 in the past and I must say it was like night and day. I felt Toyota finally was willing to "enter" the hp war. A little too late, and still behind, but I was glad to see they broke 300hp with the v6.

I suspect the gs460 and gs350 suspension is comparable and in that aspect, great improvement! Interior......of course, it is a Lexus interior but I think the 98 was a bit more....plush??? Don' get me wrong, I feel Lexus still leads in automotive interior designs but it seems there was no big push for improvement.

The styling is what I have always been hung up on. Definitely the 2nd gs is a classic. Current gs is not at the top of my list in styling but I still like it. I am guessing you have your own opinion on that one since you see them about town. Also, I am the type who likes "exclusivity" so I enjoy the fact that the GS is not a heavy hitter for Lexus sales.

I think if you are still into the Lexus brand, you take a liking to the new GS, you can afford it, and you are ready to get into a new ride, go for it. The GS is a fine combination of luxury, sport, interior space. I hoped for a little more rear leg room in the back seat but then again, I appreciate the sporty factor. I would recommend the new GS from my experience so far. That coming from a lifetime Toyota fan who recently has personal issues against Toyota and almost bought a BMW.

I hope this all made sense and helps you in your decision. If you have any more questions, please ask anytime.
Old 11-07-07, 03:11 AM
lexusbunny
Driver School Candidate

how do you like your car?
Old 11-07-07, 09:13 AM
made_in_japan
Rookie

lexusbunny, so far, i am still wrapped up in "new car" mode. I will have to drive it a bit and get more comfortable to really get to know the car. It is definitely nice. I really preferred a full leather steering wheel because the wood is a bit slippery. Nav is nice but I can't compare it to any other since this is my first. As for stereo sound, it seems my 98 GS had a better sounding system w/o the ML package. It seems like I was albe to crank the volume higher w/o stressing the speakers. I really like the illuminated door sills. It adds a nice touch. I am not sure if the 06 & 07 came with that option.

Lets see what else......the tranny seems a bit erratic and rough, especially before the vehicle is warm. I know the 460 has the 8 speed tranny but has anyone else experienced this in their vehicles? Also, when the car goes through it's test cycles for the brake system, I can really feel the feedback in the brake pedal.

I have not been able to try out the hill climb assist brake feature yet. What I like the most is the tone form the exhaust.
Old 11-07-07, 11:16 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

I have not been able to try out the hill climb assist brake feature yet. What I like the most is the tone form the exhaust.
What is that? I've heard of it.
Old 11-07-07, 02:32 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

Originally Posted by steverhode
What is that? I've heard of it.
The hillclimb assist comes on when your car is in D and stationary on a steep incline. If the car starts sliding backwards when you take your foot off the brake pedal the car self-applies the brakes for a few seconds to stop the car sliding.
Old 11-07-07, 02:41 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

Thanks for all the feedback Tsuyoshi. I really had my heart set on a 460 but they're not bringing it to this part of the world this year.

That ticking noise you mentioned coming from the driver's door I got with my '06 and '07. It is so quiet that on any other car you wouldn't hear it - it doesn't really bother me (but the creaks and rattles do!)

So far your review of the 460 doesn't seem very encouraging - its interior is less plush than the Gen 2, the stereo distorts at lower volume, the 8-speed tranny is erratic and rough and the handling/ride is compromised by run-flats... Oh well...
Old 11-08-07, 08:13 AM
made_in_japan
Rookie

ajcsanders, I did not realize my reviews came across so negative. Please do not perceive it as so. I just tried to write my true feeling of the things that I have noticed driving the car without being too excited about the fact that I have a new car. It is a great car and so far I would not turn anyone away from purchasing one. The interior is not bad. Just my thoughts comparing it to my old GS. I am sure it is very similar to the 06, 07, with a few minor changes. Also, the car handles great. Especially compared to my old car. The point I wanted to make is that it may be because of the run flats that tend to be a stiffer. I actually like the feel. Might be too harsh for some people.

To sum it up, I think the car is great. As with any car, there is room for a few minor improvements. To me, from what I can remember from my test drive of the GS430, it seems to pull a bit harder and it definitely sounds more aggressive. The biggest question that is probably on the mind of some people is, "Can it be reprogrammed to produce the same power as the LS460?" I am fishing around for this answer now. BUT I think it feels plenty quick as is, but of course, this is my first v8.

Hope I haven't been too confusing and/or misleading. Happy driving!
Old 11-08-07, 08:46 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tsuyoshi, can you please check your pm? i don't see how it's possible that you walked away just over 60k while i was quoted 66k for MSRP after tax and what not.

is there no car tax in Texas?
Old 11-09-07, 02:44 AM
ajcsanders
Driver

The biggest question that is probably on the mind of some people is, "Can it be reprogrammed to produce the same power as the LS460?" I am fishing around for this answer now. BUT I think it feels plenty quick as is, but of course, this is my first v8.

Hope I haven't been too confusing and/or misleading. Happy driving!
Thanks Tsuyoshi - it's better you say what you feel - the 2GS was after all an outstanding car. I doubt you'll be able to simply reprogram the GS460 to deliver 380 hp. I believe there is a mechanical difference between the GS460 and the LS460 - the LS has direct fuel injection and the GS doesn't. I personally would be thrilled with 342 hp - my GS 300 is a middle east version without Direct injection and makes a measly 231 hp.

Alex
Old 11-09-07, 09:00 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcsanders
Thanks Tsuyoshi - it's better you say what you feel - the 2GS was after all an outstanding car. I doubt you'll be able to simply reprogram the GS460 to deliver 380 hp. I believe there is a mechanical difference between the GS460 and the LS460 - the LS has direct fuel injection and the GS doesn't. I personally would be thrilled with 342 hp - my GS 300 is a middle east version without Direct injection and makes a measly 231 hp.

Alex
I love my gs300 with its measly 245 hp....what an awesome car !! may be a bit slow if you punch it but that is rare for me 99% of the time it is adequate power, I ve had a 3GS for 2.5 yrs now
Old 11-09-07, 09:06 AM
made_in_japan
Rookie

Originally Posted by ajcsanders

Alex
From my understanding it is the same engine as the LS460.
Old 11-09-07, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

From my understanding it is the same engine as the LS460.
while it's still some way confused, it's something i want to confirm as well. someone told me the gs460 doesn't have direct injection, but i remember reading somewhere saying it does.
Old 11-09-07, 09:32 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
while it's still some way confused, it's something i want to confirm as well. someone told me the gs460 doesn't have direct injection, but i remember reading somewhere saying it does.
it does have direct injection and I hope it was my thread that you saw

A D-4S (Direct injection 4-stroke Superior version) stoichiometric direct injection system, the world’s only automotive injection system to adopt two injectors per cylinder, is combined with Lexus’ Dual VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing * intelligent). Combining the strengths of both port injection and direct injection, D-4S realises higher engine output and lower emissions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=419
Old 11-09-07, 09:38 AM
levon1830
Driver School Candidate

And from the Lexus website:

Originally Posted by lexus.com
342-hp V8 (GS 460)

With a 342-horsepower [1], 4.6-liter V8 engine as well as direct and port injection, the GS 460 can go from 0 to 60 in a mere 5.4 seconds [1] [2].
Could this info be credible now, as it seems they have all the kinks worked out with the website concerning the GS460?

Quick Reply: Pulled Trigger on GS460