GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 05:39 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were in the market I would give the CTS a look. But outside of the reliability and resale matters, it would still be hard for me to buy a car with the "Cadillac" marquee.
Old 11-05-07, 05:56 AM
noobs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I drove the 2008 CTS as a rental on a recent trip to Charlotte and it's a rocking car, but it's not in the same class as the GS. It's more a IS fighter and I must say it beats the IS in my mind. The handling is tight and performance overall I thought is better than the IS350. The CTS was probably just off the truck because it only had 180 miles when I got it. It was a rental, so I beat the crap out of it since most times it was only me in the car. Acceleration response was instant, corners were tight, and space in the back was much more than the IS.

Given that CTS is actually priced (comparably equipped) more to the GS, then if you compare the two together, it's no contest. The GS is better, just like it's better than the IS.
Interesting comparison to the IS. At the TOL event, I thought the IS350 was the most fun to drive. I felt the GS as a daily driver was better as it was more rounded and was happy with my decsion. The CTS has managed to be more fun to drive and still have a quiet luxurious ride. It has a nice balance. The positioning is a bit odd though. In base trim it competes with the IS price point. Loaded up and it costs as much as a GS and in fact more, since there are less discounts on the CTS than the GS right now. (at least for the next few months) Go figure

If it were not for the first model year bugs and dealer greed, I would most probably buy one, even though resale will likely be less. I'll see what my Lexus dealer says today. If he jerks me around on delivery, I may just pull the pull the trigger on a CTS.
Old 11-05-07, 08:44 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

When I was looking, my husband brought up the CTS (we looked at the Infiniti M most seriously, but considered the Mercedes E series, BMW 5 series, and a few others). Anyway,

1) I AM older (responding to NYC Kid), and I still couldn't bring myself to get the CTS.

2) I'm completely with Dave on this - no matter what else, I just could not bring myself to buy a "Cadillac" (It just has bad connotations for me).

3) I don't love the looks so much anyway.
Old 11-05-07, 08:47 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Personally I think the Lexus is a much better for fit and finish than the CTS.
I was looking at similar type, the STS-V and the STS, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one of them. THe seats weren'
t as comfortable, or as plush(and I don't think the GS is super plush), but the Cadi's seats were crap.
I didn't like the nav as much.
The lexus GS is just a better car, I feel.
Old 11-05-07, 09:18 AM
MartinGS
Driver School Candidate

I traded in 2001 STS, the previous generation STS, for my 2006. I liked the GS interior much better then the new STS, but put the CTS interior in the STS... The other thing is the money. List and street price for Cadillac are two different things, think 10k less or more. With certified Cadillac, you can get almost 6 years, 100k, unlike the Lexus that can will never be more then 3 for a certified one.

As for fit and finish, I never had rattle problems in my STS.
Old 11-05-07, 11:44 AM
sifrido
Rookie

well i just got an 08 gs 350 last week and i love it! if that helps?
Old 11-05-07, 11:47 AM
sifrido
Rookie

p.s. my girlfriend drives an 07 cts and my lexus drives wayyyy better! plus the gs is more roomy and the interior is nicer.
Old 11-05-07, 01:52 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sifrido
p.s. my girlfriend drives an 07 cts and my lexus drives wayyyy better! plus the gs is more roomy and the interior is nicer.
MY08 CTS is a re-design.
Old 11-05-07, 03:41 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Reliability of the Caddy should be right there with Lexus. The latest JD Powers results had Buick and Lexus tied for number 1.
Old 11-05-07, 03:59 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Exclamation NO bluetooth on CTS!

Originally Posted by DaveJ
If I were in the market I would give the CTS a look. But outside of the reliability and resale matters, it would still be hard for me to buy a car with the "Cadillac" marquee.
I found out the CTS does NOT have bluetooth. That is a dealbreaker for me. No bluetooth; no buying.
Old 11-06-07, 09:15 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

That's kind of shocking that they left out Bluetooth - even if I had liked the car more, that would be a deal killer for me, too. I understand they've figured out how wrong they were to leave it out and the 2009 model year cars will have it.
Old 11-06-07, 10:06 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Based on some of the comments in this thread about how good the CTS drives, I went down and drove one (actually 2) yesterday. First the good news, the new CTS corrects the two major faults of the GS that kept me from buying one of the current models - the rear seat room and trunk space are large enough to use as a primary sedan. Since it passed that hurdle in the showroom, I took a test drive in a loaded CTS with the direct injection engine. Not bad for a Cadillac, but not good either. It was very ordinary in acceleration. My RX400h is almost as fast. The ride and handling were a good balance and I liked the interior styling better than the GS. There was, however, a deal breaker. There is a very noticeable "roughness" in the engine at higher rpms like using the kickdown for passing or entering a freeway. I drove a second car, and it did exactly the same thing. The base engine doesn't have the problem, but it has even poorer acceleration.

I also had a problem with the attitude of the sales guy. High pressure all the way and very little product knowledge. Totally different experience from the Lexus approach. He pushed on how much a month I could afford and seemed to have no understanding that I was going to pay cash so extending the payments to 6 years to lower my payment was not the same as dropping the price on the car.

Bottom line for this size and price car, the only car that is large enough and meets all the other desires is the Infiniti M. The M35 performance is a pretty good match for the CTS without the harshness in the engine and with even more room inside. I will likely buy an M45 for the performance and just suffer the gas mileage which will cost only a couple of hundred $ a year even at $3/gallon. Depending on how long it is before the intro of the M50, I may wait for that.

Steve
Old 11-06-07, 12:12 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Based on some of the comments in this thread about how good the CTS drives, I went down and drove one (actually 2) yesterday. First the good news, the new CTS corrects the two major faults of the GS that kept me from buying one of the current models - the rear seat room and trunk space are large enough to use as a primary sedan. Since it passed that hurdle in the showroom, I took a test drive in a loaded CTS with the direct injection engine. Not bad for a Cadillac, but not good either. It was very ordinary in acceleration. My RX400h is almost as fast. The ride and handling were a good balance and I liked the interior styling better than the GS. There was, however, a deal breaker. There is a very noticeable "roughness" in the engine at higher rpms like using the kickdown for passing or entering a freeway. I drove a second car, and it did exactly the same thing. The base engine doesn't have the problem, but it has even poorer acceleration.

I also had a problem with the attitude of the sales guy. High pressure all the way and very little product knowledge. Totally different experience from the Lexus approach. He pushed on how much a month I could afford and seemed to have no understanding that I was going to pay cash so extending the payments to 6 years to lower my payment was not the same as dropping the price on the car.

Bottom line for this size and price car, the only car that is large enough and meets all the other desires is the Infiniti M. The M35 performance is a pretty good match for the CTS without the harshness in the engine and with even more room inside. I will likely buy an M45 for the performance and just suffer the gas mileage which will cost only a couple of hundred $ a year even at $3/gallon. Depending on how long it is before the intro of the M50, I may wait for that.

Steve

m series =

it's a hot car...if i had the funds...I'd pick the same
I love the M45
Old 11-06-07, 01:42 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

M50 is supposed to come out for MY08! You won't have to wait long

I like the revision on the M. I wanted to get a car this year and didn't want to wait so I got the 3GS. It was down to the 3GS, M35x, or 528xi.

I should go test drive the CTS, it sounds like a very worthy competitor.
Old 11-06-07, 01:47 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steverhode
I found out the CTS does NOT have bluetooth. That is a dealbreaker for me. No bluetooth; no buying.
Originally Posted by sf7307
That's kind of shocking that they left out Bluetooth - even if I had liked the car more, that would be a deal killer for me, too. I understand they've figured out how wrong they were to leave it out and the 2009 model year cars will have it.
*sigh* This would've been a dealbreaker for me as well.

However, it's not really shocking though. GM cars have On-Star and they would love to charge you $10/month to connect to your cell phone to On-Star so they don't have to include Bluetooth for free hands-free phone calls. Highly doubt they'd include it for MY09.

Quick Reply: Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?