GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07 | 01:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

You Guys In This Months Road And Track The Cts Lost To The G35. Its Beneath The Gs, And Its American, And Ugly As Hell!!! Oh An Did I Mention It Was American. Man Dont Get Me Started On Freakn American Cars. I Dont Care What The Ranking For Reliability This Year. Even A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day.
Old 11-11-07 | 11:16 AM
chumsdad
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You Guys In This Months Road And Track The Cts Lost To The G35. Its Beneath The Gs, And Its American, And Ugly As Hell!!! Oh An Did I Mention It Was American. Man Dont Get Me Started On Freakn American Cars. I Dont Care What The Ranking For Reliability This Year. Even A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day.
Sounds like some kind of phobia to me- did the movie Christine scare you too much??

Seriously, though, what's an American car by your definition? When we traded our 93 Mazda MX6, built in Detroit along side Ford Probes, we got a 99 Acura TL made in Ohio. We traded that in for a 2004 RX330 made in Canada which for some time sat next to my 99 Camaro SS, also made in Canada. Then I got rid of the SS and bought a 2005 GTO made in Australia. The 460 is the first true Japanese care we have purchased.

If it makes you feel any better, I defend Lexus against the guys over at the GTO forum that think the IS350 is no match at all for the GTO (check R/T's numbers- both 13.5 in the 1/4, though the GTO traps higher) and that the GTO will trounce an LS-F (12.7/114 according to C/D).

At one point I owned both a Camaro and a Thunderbird. Talk about controversy- those Chevy/Ford rivalry guys are relentless.

I will say this, though. I refuse to buy anything but a good old American John Deere tractor to mow my lawn- as long as it has a Kawasaki twin cylinder engine- Briggs and Stratton engines I can't stand!!!! LOL

Old 11-11-07 | 12:07 PM
gabeLex
Rookie

Default GS, Hands down

It's the Best! It's soo eyeCatching, and at night it stands out from any other vehicle on the road. It Glows; what more do you need with Performance and Style!

LoL, i sound like a sales guy
Old 11-11-07 | 02:17 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

Originally Posted by gabeLex
It's the Best! It's soo eyeCatching, and at night it stands out from any other vehicle on the road. It Glows; what more do you need with Performance and Style!

LoL, i sound like a sales guy
Yes you're right. BTW, I assume you are talking about this car:
Attached Thumbnails Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?-ls-460-red.jpg  
Old 11-11-07 | 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by steverhode
I found out the CTS does NOT have bluetooth. That is a dealbreaker for me. No bluetooth; no buying.
Found this...

Bluetooth and other Electronics:

Bluetooth capability will be a dealer-installed accessory for 2008 CTS models. There’s a very simple “pack” that dealers install quickly and easily to enable this capability. We’re investigating a more-comprehensive approach for subsequent years if consumer interest continues to grow in Bluetooth. But the CTS absolutely can support it for 2008. Stay tuned on this front. Cadillac will have some really interesting features to discuss later this summer that will be in the CTS right off the bat.

http://cadillac.gmblogs.com/2007/04/answers.html
Old 11-11-07 | 07:26 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

I'm wondering if you've waited this long for the car that you wanted why does it really matter if you might have to wait a couple of more weeks for your GS? If you going to buy a car you should just wait and buy the one that is definitely your first choice!

Now, if you can't decide between the two just wait till the 08 GS comes out and test drive them both and then make your decision.
Old 11-12-07 | 07:22 AM
noobs
Rookie

Originally Posted by adam8065
I'm wondering if you've waited this long for the car that you wanted why does it really matter if you might have to wait a couple of more weeks for your GS? If you going to buy a car you should just wait and buy the one that is definitely your first choice!
That’s a good question. It’s just not about getting one ordered from the factory in 4 to 6 weeks. It’s about the overall decision.

I am generally reluctant to buy any car in the first year of production as they tend to have bugs that need correction over the course of the year. I prefer to have all the TSBs applied. Demand is high for the CTS so some dealers are being silly and asking for MSRP. I did find a dealer that was willing to sell at $500 above invoice, but it required some work. Who knows what the market price will really be. Anyone remember the Chrysler 300 or PT Cruisers that were selling above list price? Also GM plays funny games with national and local advertising fees in their invoice price.

Depreciation is another unknown. I recall 3 of the top ten fastest depreciating cars on Forbes were Cadillac’s. Well, the CTS should fare better as prices have been firm and since the car is so much better than Cadillac of old, used demand and hence resale should be better, but who knows? If GM starts putting incentives on these, resale will tank.

The GS is in year 3 of production and is still a very nice and refined car. Most bugs should be corrected and retail price is stable. A new one (2008) can be had at a very small premium over invoice.

Even if I had a small preference for the CTS, overall, the GS for me was a “smarter” buy. I’m better off trading in a GS in a couple years for a bug free CTS rather than the other way around. Besides can one really go wrong buying a Lexus?

BTW, I made the same decision two months back when buying a CUV. I looked hard at a Buick Enclave, but they were on 12 week waits and dealers were asking for ADM. ADM on a mainstream CUV, no way! Bought a 2008 Acura MDX instead. GM needs to think about how they sell these vehicles. There are lot’s of employees and supplier discounts buying these vehicles on the boards. This means only a handful of cars on the lots that the dealers want MSRP or higher for. The employees and suppliers are captive buyers. They will buy GM. Me, on the other hand, as a lifetime import buyer, you just lost me for another buying cycle by trying to charge me full pop and rolling out your cars to employees at discount.
Old 11-12-07 | 07:28 AM
noobs
Rookie

Originally Posted by chumsdad
I had already read about the 2008 CTS, but initially decided on the GS 350 because I did not like the Caddy dealer's 3 hour oil changes and the perceived reliabilty/depreciation issue everyone mentions. After further consideration, I decided against the GS because of the hard riding run flats and the car was much harder to get into and out of than the CTS for me (I am large framed). Then I made the mistake of driving the LS 460 and that was the end of the debate.
I agree with you on the run flats and the tight fit. The run flats can easily be changed and I think the cocoon design of the GS is deliberate. I am not full framed, so it's not as big a deal for me (bad pun intended)

I drove the LS and LS600h at Taste of Lexus. The are about the quietest and smoothest cars I have driven. However, I want a bit more feedback and I am not ready for sensory deprivation yet while driving. In that class, I actually prefer the S550.
Old 11-12-07 | 09:09 AM
turboale
Rookie

If you are considering these two models you need to do yourself a favor and at least go and drive the Infiniti G35S and M35/45. You don't hear as much about the M in the press as you do other cars but it has been Consumer Reports best rated vehicle 4 years in a row and just came out on top against the MB E550, BMW 550i, Lexus GS450h.
The the computer system that comes in both the G and M are IMHO the best on the market and BMW definitely needs to take some notes... I am a little biased but I have been a long time toyota fan and never really a huge Nissan fan until this year and I have been very pleased to say the least. If you have any questions let me know as I have owned both, but at the very least go test drive the G and M...

Old 11-12-07 | 10:14 AM
chumsdad
Rookie

Originally Posted by noobs
I agree with you on the run flats and the tight fit. The run flats can easily be changed and I think the cocoon design of the GS is deliberate. I am not full framed, so it's not as big a deal for me (bad pun intended)

I drove the LS and LS600h at Taste of Lexus. The are about the quietest and smoothest cars I have driven. However, I want a bit more feedback and I am not ready for sensory deprivation yet while driving. In that class, I actually prefer the S550.
Yeah, I would prefer a slightly tighter suspension, which I understand is in the hard to find Touring model. At least the steering feels connected. I am a drivetrain freak, though, so the coolest part of the 460 is the subdued wail of the V8 at 6500 RPM and the velvet smooth 8 speed trans.

I dunno- might have to trade the GTO in on an LS-F, but even the IS350 would be sweet and a lot cheaper. The 3.5 V6 in the GS and IS is a jewel too for sure. Anybody know if the IS is as hard to get into as the GS?? I feel in love with the old IS 300 but it was too damn narrow-I know they at least fixed that in the new IS, but have not driven one.

Last edited by chumsdad; 11-12-07 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-12-07 | 01:07 PM
noobs
Rookie

Originally Posted by turboale
If you are considering these two models you need to do yourself a favor and at least go and drive the Infiniti G35S and M35/45. You don't hear as much about the M in the press as you do other cars but it has been Consumer Reports best rated vehicle 4 years in a row and just came out on top against the MB E550, BMW 550i, Lexus GS450h.
The the computer system that comes in both the G and M are IMHO the best on the market and BMW definitely needs to take some notes... I am a little biased but I have been a long time toyota fan and never really a huge Nissan fan until this year and I have been very pleased to say the least. If you have any questions let me know as I have owned both, but at the very least go test drive the G and M...

I have driven both, the M35 on two test drives and had a new G35 as a loaner for a day.

The M is a nice car, one which I could be happy with. The interior is love, hate (I like it, my wife hates it) and the cabin is spacious. The ride is a bit stiff and cabin noise is much higher than what one would expect for the class, but the handling is very good. The five speed could use another gear and it is tuned for performance, not mileage. At the end of the day, there wasn't much to separate the M from the GS or CTS, but I wanted a bit more luxury and quiet ride for an every day driver.

As far as the G, it's a fun little car to throw around, but there are two big buts for me. The accelerator tip in is far too aggressive and hard to modulate in traffic and the interior is no where comparable to the CTS, M or GS. Otherwise a fine car.
Old 11-12-07 | 01:13 PM
noobs
Rookie

Originally Posted by chumsdad
I dunno- might have to trade the GTO in on an LS-F, but even the IS350 would be sweet and a lot cheaper. The 3.5 V6 in the GS and IS is a jewel too for sure. Anybody know if the IS is as hard to get into as the GS?? I feel in love with the old IS 300 but it was too damn narrow-I know they at least fixed that in the new IS, but have not driven one.
Why not a S63 AMG? 518 HP, or heck a S65 with 604 HP? I did not recall if the IS was easier to get into than the GS at TOL, it may have been, but the IS interior is not as nice as the GS. It is more fun to drive though.
Old 11-12-07 | 01:24 PM
sf7307
Pole Position

Originally Posted by noobs
I have driven both, the M35 on two test drives and had a new G35 as a loaner for a day.

The M is a nice car, one which I could be happy with. The interior is love, hate (I like it, my wife hates it) and the cabin is spacious. The ride is a bit stiff and cabin noise is much higher than what one would expect for the class, but the handling is very good. The five speed could use another gear and it is tuned for performance, not mileage. At the end of the day, there wasn't much to separate the M from the GS or CTS, but I wanted a bit more luxury and quiet ride for an every day driver.

As far as the G, it's a fun little car to throw around, but there are two big buts for me. The accelerator tip in is far too aggressive and hard to modulate in traffic and the interior is no where comparable to the CTS, M or GS. Otherwise a fine car.
We were almost decided on the M35 (prior to test-drive) but decided to test-drive the M35, G35, GS350 and ES350. We are not really automobile aficionados, we just wanted it to "feel right". The G35 was great, but too small, which is why we didn't even look at the IS. The M35 was nice, handled well, but my husband didn't like the interior so much. The ES was, well, boring. The GS was the last one of the four that we drove, and we just immediately agreed it gave us the right combination of style, ride, size and luxury (we are also not big people). So far, we love it and are not sorry at all about our decision.
Old 11-12-07 | 02:57 PM
turboale
Rookie

Did you drive a premium or sport? I have yet to drive a non-sport but I have to agree the springs are on the stiffer side and the road noise is higher than others. Good luck on figuring out what is right for you!
Old 11-16-07 | 12:19 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

I don't know about the car, but Cadillac's doing a nice job on those CTS commericals!

Quick Reply: Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?