GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 03:28 PM
atc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noobs
Well I've had my 08 GS on order for a few months now and the dealer originally estimated September and the October and now November delivery of my car. So I was getting a little restless and decided to pop down to the Cadillac dealer to check out the new CTS. I had never considered Cadillac and was really surprised. It's a nice car The interior is beautiful and I actually prefer the way it drives to the GS. I would have to get it fully loaded up to buy it, which would make it about the same cost as a GS.

So call me crazy, but, I'm actually very seriously thinking of canceling my GS order, since they have taken so long, and buy a CTS. A couple things bug me about the CTS though, resale and long term reliability (although Toyota has had some glitches recently). The CTS is also in short supply, so it may take a few weeks to get the color combo I want.

I know this is a Lexus forum and I would probably get a different answer at the Caddy forum, but I did decide on Lexus first. Am I crazy?

For those that would dismiss the Cadillac out of hand before driving it, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's not the cheap floaty boat of old.
Considering Cadillac over Lexus? You are either uninformed or foolish.
Old 11-16-07, 07:55 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by atc1
Considering Cadillac over Lexus? You are either uninformed or foolish.
With all due respect, I think not only are you misinformed and foolish but also tunnel visioned.
Old 11-16-07, 10:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

american cars are garbage! they are uuuuggggly and horribly unreliable. when I say american cars i mean ford, chevy,dodge, at the rest of the american car companies. japanese cars are designed for durability and reliabilty. They are a superior product to any american car. Better resale, reliability, looks, gas mileage, and the list goes on and on. when i say they are problematic , Im not talking about the stuff we ***** about like wind noise, and low nav volume. These crappy cars have transmissions that fail, alterbators that fail , electrical problems, internal engine problems. the kind of stuff that makes you late . I dont know what you guys do for a living but I dont have the kind of job I can ever be late to. American cars are an inferior product and have been for the past 20 to 25 years. They have only been exsposed since the JD Power reviews started coming out in the 90's. before that buying a car was all word of mouth. now we all know how poorly the cras are made and designed. when the reports started coming out the american car companies sued the indepedent review companies to stop them, but free speech came through. The american economy is based on a market sytem in wich companies must compete to provide consumer with the best products to make money and gain market share. the american car companies produce trash and expect people to buy the crap bec its american. Those people are dead and dying. They are practically giving the cars away on the finance side. every place you go they have 0% financing on any gm piece of crap. The cars are so un economical that they cant even be sold in many eastern, and european countries. Thats why they are losing the market internationally also. 99 % of what I am writing is fact and can easily be supported by just researching the interet or just picking up a wall street journal. The american auto companies have dug themselves a grave over the past 3 decades. Look up what are the worst rated vehicles and you will see nothing but american car comapnies. look up what is rated the most unreliable cars on the road and you will see. CTS vs a GS350 man should be pretty damn obvious unless you enjoy being close with your service advisor at the dealership or becoming familiar with road side assistance. I dont care if you have a friend with one that has no probs with it. If the CTS is reliablr that just means it has less than 2k on the car or its a damn fluke. american car companies have a defect rate of 12-16% the top japanese companies are at 2-4 %. The car is the second largest purchase that most people will make and I would never throw my cash into an american car. To ugly, to cheap, to unreliable. Every time I rent a car its a ****y american car, and man its a joke of a vehicle. cheap interior, dated suspensions, uneconomical, ugly, and generally just......american. why is it that mustand with a 4.6 liter v8 will produce less hoesepower than our motors that are v6's or even the bulletproof motor of the nissan vq that goes in the z and the infiniti g35 will produce the same power. or how about the corvette z06 with 505 hp with a 7.0 or 7.3 liter engine compared to a normally aspirated porsche 3.8 liter flat 6 with 530 hp. Its design and engineering. Have you guys ever noticed that the american car companies are always coming out with new cars while the japanese and the germans keep producing the same models but keep turning out generation after generation of car and perfecting it along the way. Example the accord,camry, 5 series, s class, lexus ls,gs, etc. wheras the american car comapies keep coming out with nothing but first gen trash that has not been refined like the jeep liberty, chevy cobaly, pontiac aztec, i cant even list names bec I dont follow low end car. Try to think about it and you will see what OI am talking about The cts is bot even in the same league, same ball park , or even the same game as the lexus gs. DAMN I HATE AMERICAN CARS. American cars are for farmers, ****t kickers, law enforcement, and generally people who dont care about the car they drive. I dont see how anyone would find the cars even mildly appealing other than price.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-16-07 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 02:44 AM
safricags
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol well that was from the heart. and from the americam cars in this country that i have seen, also 100% correct lol
Old 11-17-07, 11:00 PM
MSL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by safricags
lol well that was from the heart. and from the americam cars in this country that i have seen, also 100% correct lol
Am with you brother that was from the bottom of his heart lol lol lol. But his right in every single word he said, american cars are only good for law enforcement, & for people that dont care about what they drive and are just looking to save a penny...
Old 11-18-07, 01:17 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
American cars are for farmers, ****t kickers, law enforcement, and generally people who dont care about the car they drive. I dont see how anyone would find the cars even mildly appealing other than price.
What the hell is wrong with you?
Old 11-18-07, 07:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
What the hell is wrong with you?
Agree...Crazy talk...
Old 11-18-07, 08:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

do the research before you say its crazy talk.Anyone who has read a jd power and associates report, owned and american car followed by a japanese car, or has any sense of pride in what they drive knows that what I am saying is more than just opinion. Its pretty much the truth. The sad sad truth. And bec all of this so apparent to anyone with any objective auto industry and quality information I must ask what the hell is wrong with you? Sounds like someone is deaf, blind, and numb. WAKE UP MAN YOU DRIVE A LEXUS!!!! Why did you buy a lexus and not a cadillac ?. Theres your answer:
THIS IS TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM FORBES / MSNBC. COM IN AN ARTICLE LISTING THE WORST CARS FOR 2006. READ IT AND WEEP!!

Cadillacs and Corvettes may be world-class cars. And our list certainly comprises vehicles with the lowest ratings. But aside from being judged as poor, many exemplify how far U.S. automakers have to go to compete in the global market. Because American manufacturers continue to build such and unreliable vehicles as the Terraza, U.S. sales reports for June were unsurprisingly low. Sales and market share continued to fall for American manufacturers and continued to rise for import brands, spearheaded by Toyota's 14% increase in sales.

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13939015/

Sorry to rub it in bit someone needs to show you that all of this unfortunetly is more than some crazy guys opinion on a little thread on a lexus forum. Its the ruth. The article is listing 2006 vehicles. The birth of objective auto quality measurment from parties like consumer reports and JD Power and assoc has exsposed the American auto industry for what it is. A group of manufacturers who have ripped off their customers for decades. Like mercedes they thought they would be able to sell their cars forever based on old reps. Well my friend generations come and go, and times change, and bottom line you are only as good as your last performance.

THE FOLLOWING IS ANOTHER ARTICLE FROM FORBES.COM

Wondering why the Japanese automakers are eating up market share that formerly belonged to Americans? Here’s all the explanation you need.

There is nothing, a Wall-Street adage says, that a bit of good product won’t cure. The Japanese know this, and they have let good vehicles drive them to financial security and sales volumes that never seem to stop increasing. This month’s New York International Auto Show saw the unveilings of two new and improved Japanese cars--the next-generation Mitsubishi (other-otc: MSBHF.PK - news - people ) Outlander and Lexus LS models--but the old, outgoing models they are replacing were already among a dozen or so of the market’s most reliable cars.

When we look at the slide show that follows this piece--a list of the nine most reliable cars on the market--one question comes to mind: Where are the American cars? While certain U.S. companies, such as General Motors' General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ) Buick subsidiary, are building increasingly dependable cars, only three brands--Honda Motor (nyse: HMC - news - people ), Toyota Motor (nyse: TM - news - people ) and Toyota’s Lexus subsidiary--meet the most stringent standards for reliability.

Click here for the slide show.
In particular, those three Japanese companies are the only companies on the market to have individual models receiving top reliability marks from both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates. Each of the nine cars in the slide show received a “predicted reliability” rating of “much better than average,” the highest possible, from Consumer Reports, and five out five stars in J.D. Power’s “overall quality” and/or “overall dependability” assessments. Each car in the slide show is Japanese.

While American cars are built better than ever these days, they still are not as reliable as Japanese autos. With such new cars as the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans, DaimlerChrysler (nyse: DCX - news - people ) has shown recently that American cars can have world-beating style. Cadillac is showing that American luxury cars can keep pace with European competition. Now, an American automaker needs to challenge Toyota and Honda in terms of reliability, and the process begins by studying what has worked for the Japanese.

Lexus’ old slogan was "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection," and it wasn't just lip service.

While the company has world-renowned manufacturing methods, "the pursuit of perfection" is inculcated so vigorously into Toyota's corporate culture that Lexus' trademark reliability is engineered into cars before they ever hit the factories. Quality is monitored every step of the way. Failure is not accepted.

Do you need more proof? I didnt think so. So in response to the original remarks that we who think like this are crazy or tunnel visioned I must say that I am to smart of a consumer to waste my money on an inferior product for the sake of saying "buy american". What pro american car guys are not realizing is that we who dont but american cars are "buying american". We are buying the best product from the manufacturers who produce the best products, and have done so in the competetive american market. Thats how american consumers buy goods.

So mR yang 1815 in response to your question " what the hell is wrong with you?" I must ask what the hell is wrong with you? How can someone be so ignorant to the facts. You should try reading a newspaper, consumer reports, jd power and associates, or just talk to the owner of an american car. The world is full of people who are tryng to play you. Dont play yourself. WAKE UP MAN!!!! YOU BOUGHT A LEXUS. You didnt buy a cadillac or some poece of crap american car because........? Why dont you trade your lexus for a cadillac? You know the desperate bastards are giving the trash away. You could probably turn your car in without paying anything out of your pocket. Do it, and you like the hundreds of thousands of consumers who have sworn off american cars, you will know " what the hell is wrong with me". We have been burned and embarrased by the horrible quality or have seen our friends and loved ones get burned by the american automakers.

LET ME DECLARE ONE MORE TIME: AMERICAN CARS ARE AN INFERIOR PRODUCT!!! ITS A FACT NOT AN OPINION. WHEN ONE ARGUES THEY ARE NOT IT MAKES YOU LOOK UNINFORMED AND IGNORANT. WAKE UP!!! MR YANG 1815 .

If anyone else wants to argue this point, BRING IT !!! THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF EMBARRASSING FACTS ABOUT AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES THAT I CAN POST FOR YOU.

p.s notice the only guys on the thread who think this is crazy talk are from illinois and nebraska. I am aware that opinions on this topic do vary regionally. What I am trying to provide the readers of this thread is not opinion. It is fact in all parts of the country. I have driven through nebraska twice before and have worked in illinois for 3 years. I know the people in illinois all drive american unless your in chicago or a high end suburb.. Nebraska on the other hand seemed to have predominantly american cars. Leave your states and come to miami, los angeles, new york, etc, and you will find that most people who are real car guys have the same information to share.... AMERICAN CARS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-18-07 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 05:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

do the research before you say its crazy talk.Anyone who has read a jd power and associates report, owned and american car followed by a japanese car, or has any sense of pride in what they drive knows that what I am saying is more than just opinion. Its pretty much the truth. The sad sad truth. And bec all of this so apparent to anyone with any objective auto industry and quality information I must ask what the hell is wrong with you? Sounds like someone is deaf, blind, and numb. WAKE UP MAN YOU DRIVE A LEXUS!!!! Why did you buy a lexus and not a cadillac ?. Theres your answer:
THIS IS TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM FORBES / MSNBC. COM IN AN ARTICLE LISTING THE WORST CARS FOR 2006. READ IT AND WEEP!!

Cadillacs and Corvettes may be world-class cars. And our list certainly comprises vehicles with the lowest ratings. But aside from being judged as poor, many exemplify how far U.S. automakers have to go to compete in the global market. Because American manufacturers continue to build such and unreliable vehicles as the Terraza, U.S. sales reports for June were unsurprisingly low. Sales and market share continued to fall for American manufacturers and continued to rise for import brands, spearheaded by Toyota's 14% increase in sales.

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13939015/

Sorry to rub it in bit someone needs to show you that all of this unfortunetly is more than some crazy guys opinion on a little thread on a lexus forum. Its the ruth. The article is listing 2006 vehicles. The birth of objective auto quality measurment from parties like consumer reports and JD Power and assoc has exsposed the American auto industry for what it is. A group of manufacturers who have ripped off their customers for decades. Like mercedes they thought they would be able to sell their cars forever based on old reps. Well my friend generations come and go, and times change, and bottom line you are only as good as your last performance.

THE FOLLOWING IS ANOTHER ARTICLE FROM FORBES.COM

Wondering why the Japanese automakers are eating up market share that formerly belonged to Americans? Here’s all the explanation you need.

There is nothing, a Wall-Street adage says, that a bit of good product won’t cure. The Japanese know this, and they have let good vehicles drive them to financial security and sales volumes that never seem to stop increasing. This month’s New York International Auto Show saw the unveilings of two new and improved Japanese cars--the next-generation Mitsubishi (other-otc: MSBHF.PK - news - people ) Outlander and Lexus LS models--but the old, outgoing models they are replacing were already among a dozen or so of the market’s most reliable cars.

When we look at the slide show that follows this piece--a list of the nine most reliable cars on the market--one question comes to mind: Where are the American cars? While certain U.S. companies, such as General Motors' General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ) Buick subsidiary, are building increasingly dependable cars, only three brands--Honda Motor (nyse: HMC - news - people ), Toyota Motor (nyse: TM - news - people ) and Toyota’s Lexus subsidiary--meet the most stringent standards for reliability.

Click here for the slide show.
In particular, those three Japanese companies are the only companies on the market to have individual models receiving top reliability marks from both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates. Each of the nine cars in the slide show received a “predicted reliability” rating of “much better than average,” the highest possible, from Consumer Reports, and five out five stars in J.D. Power’s “overall quality” and/or “overall dependability” assessments. Each car in the slide show is Japanese.

While American cars are built better than ever these days, they still are not as reliable as Japanese autos. With such new cars as the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans, DaimlerChrysler (nyse: DCX - news - people ) has shown recently that American cars can have world-beating style. Cadillac is showing that American luxury cars can keep pace with European competition. Now, an American automaker needs to challenge Toyota and Honda in terms of reliability, and the process begins by studying what has worked for the Japanese.

Lexus’ old slogan was "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection," and it wasn't just lip service.

While the company has world-renowned manufacturing methods, "the pursuit of perfection" is inculcated so vigorously into Toyota's corporate culture that Lexus' trademark reliability is engineered into cars before they ever hit the factories. Quality is monitored every step of the way. Failure is not accepted.

Do you need more proof? I didnt think so. So in response to the original remarks that we who think like this are crazy or tunnel visioned I must say that I am to smart of a consumer to waste my money on an inferior product for the sake of saying "buy american". What pro american car guys are not realizing is that we who dont but american cars are "buying american". We are buying the best product from the manufacturers who produce the best products, and have done so in the competetive american market. Thats how american consumers buy goods.

So mR yang 1815 in response to your question " what the hell is wrong with you?" I must ask what the hell is wrong with you? How can someone be so ignorant to the facts. You should try reading a newspaper, consumer reports, jd power and associates, or just talk to the owner of an american car. The world is full of people who are tryng to play you. Dont play yourself. WAKE UP MAN!!!! YOU BOUGHT A LEXUS. You didnt buy a cadillac or some poece of crap american car because........? Why dont you trade your lexus for a cadillac? You know the desperate bastards are giving the trash away. You could probably turn your car in without paying anything out of your pocket. Do it, and you like the hundreds of thousands of consumers who have sworn off american cars, you will know " what the hell is wrong with me". We have been burned and embarrased by the horrible quality or have seen our friends and loved ones get burned by the american automakers.

LET ME DECLARE ONE MORE TIME: AMERICAN CARS ARE AN INFERIOR PRODUCT!!! ITS A FACT NOT AN OPINION. WHEN ONE ARGUES THEY ARE NOT IT MAKES YOU LOOK UNINFORMED AND IGNORANT. WAKE UP!!! MR YANG 1815 .

If anyone else wants to argue this point, BRING IT !!! THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF EMBARRASSING FACTS ABOUT AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES THAT I CAN POST FOR YOU.

p.s notice the only guys on the thread who think this is crazy talk are from illinois and nebraska. I am aware that opinions on this topic do vary regionally. What I am trying to provide the readers of this thread is not opinion. It is fact in all parts of the country. I have driven through nebraska twice before and have worked in illinois for 3 years. I know the people in illinois all drive american unless your in chicago or a high end suburb.. Nebraska on the other hand seemed to have predominantly american cars. Leave your states and come to miami, los angeles, new york, etc, and you will find that most people who are real car guys have the same information to share.... AMERICAN CARS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You missed my point...
Old 11-19-07, 09:24 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

You ****ing retard. I have talked to many people who own American cars, and plenty of them have a problem with their cars. I'm not arguing on the fact that Lexus > American cars. What I don't like about your post is the fact that you diss on farmers and law enforcement people, without whom, we'd be stabbing each other fighting for food.

To get out of my state? I was born and raised in Asia.
Old 11-19-07, 04:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Im not dissing on farmers or law enforcment. It is a fact that they both use predominatly american vehicles in the work they do .I have respect for farmers and cops. Dont be so defensive. Nothing I said should be offensive to you unless you consider yourself to be a **** kicker, or someone who generally doesnt care about what they drive. You are the ****ing retard to have only taken that one missed message after the point i was making about the quality of american cars compared to lexus and other japanese brands. Your level of comprehension is obviously very poor.The entire post is about someone deciding on wether to buy a cts or gs350. My argument was based on the quality problems of american cars, and I posted objective info to back my point. You on the other hand went on the offensive. Also I said if you leave the states you live in, I meant to travel to one of the places I mentioned you would see a shift in the attitude of car buyers that is another fact. The fact that you were born and raised in asia makes absolutely no sense and has no relavance to what we were trying to discuss like adults. Stop being so offensive and increase your level of comprhension, or at least reread the message before you insult someone. Again,based on what we were trying to discuss mypoint has not changed. The quality of american cars is inferior to japanese brands on the whole. That is a fact.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 11-19-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 05:05 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the Lex. wait and u'll be happy. GM stinks!
Old 11-19-07, 07:44 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, these posts are getting rough. I look at it this way, I know American cars are getting better, but I'm not Jay Leno or Bill Gates and have disposable income to throw around and take chances. My money is hard earned, and if I'm going to throw $50K around, it's not going to be on a Caddy which bases $32K, but skyrockets to $53K with all the goodies. GS350AWD with all the goodies for $53K, I'm there...
Old 11-19-07, 08:03 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319380
CTS wins MT COTY...

Old 11-19-07, 08:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I love my GS350, but the CTS is an awesome vehicle for what it is. If I were to do it again, I would still choose my Lexus for various reasons.

Quick Reply: Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?