GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 09:05 PM
noobs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?

Well I've had my 08 GS on order for a few months now and the dealer originally estimated September and the October and now November delivery of my car. So I was getting a little restless and decided to pop down to the Cadillac dealer to check out the new CTS. I had never considered Cadillac and was really surprised. It's a nice car The interior is beautiful and I actually prefer the way it drives to the GS. I would have to get it fully loaded up to buy it, which would make it about the same cost as a GS.

So call me crazy, but, I'm actually very seriously thinking of canceling my GS order, since they have taken so long, and buy a CTS. A couple things bug me about the CTS though, resale and long term reliability (although Toyota has had some glitches recently). The CTS is also in short supply, so it may take a few weeks to get the color combo I want.

I know this is a Lexus forum and I would probably get a different answer at the Caddy forum, but I did decide on Lexus first. Am I crazy?

For those that would dismiss the Cadillac out of hand before driving it, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's not the cheap floaty boat of old.
Old 11-02-07, 10:03 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My roommate is actually in the market for a CTS. Although my roommate is a female!!haha No really.....she obviously has ridden/drove my 3GS and still wants a CTS. That probly means somethin' i think!!

although i do think your right about the reliability factor. Even GM would dance around the topic if they were asked about that! Toyota is extremely reliable. even with the latest decline.
Old 11-03-07, 05:46 AM
LexFather

The new CTS is fantastic. I love the new interior. The front grill is different and imposing (rest of the car looks the same as last model). THing is with its 304hp, it just got tested at 0-60 in 6 seconds. It weighs 4000 lbs. And its a class below the GS.

Both are great cars but I would wait for the GS.

Old 11-03-07, 10:09 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Even though, CTS is size of GS with the price of IS.

Still IMO, look at the 2R factors!!!

RELIABILITY and RESALE VALUE

You know the answer already!!!
Old 11-03-07, 10:36 AM
dtrose
Driver School Candidate

CTS is a General Maintenance (Motors) Product.
Old 11-03-07, 02:13 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question How do they compare (ignoring reliability and resale)

Originally Posted by noobs
So call me crazy, but, I'm actually very seriously thinking of canceling my GS order, since they have taken so long, and buy a CTS.
Up until I actually find and buy the red 2008 GS350 that I plan on purchasing, I continue to look seriously at the alternatives.

Assuming that we put aside for a minute the reliability and resale factor of the CTS -- I have a 1998 GS that has been in for repairs over 20 times over the past 10 years so all GSs are not exactly perfect (I'm quite happy with my GS, problems and all, and don't want to discuss all of the problems I had with it) -- how does the CTS compare with GS350 in terms of features and drivability?

Thoughts anyone who has actually looked into both??
Old 11-03-07, 02:58 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CTS is not the price of IS. If you build a fully loaded CTS, it's about 50k...

CTS is a very nice car and of all American cars, GM is the only one I would consider. Take a test drive and see for yourself.
Old 11-03-07, 03:36 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question What other cars should potential GS buyers look at?

Originally Posted by steverhode
Up until I actually find and buy the red 2008 GS350 that I plan on purchasing, I continue to look seriously at the alternatives.

Assuming that we put aside for a minute the reliability and resale factor of the CTS -- I have a 1998 GS that has been in for repairs over 20 times over the past 10 years so all GSs are not exactly perfect (I'm quite happy with my GS, problems and all, and don't want to discuss all of the problems I had with it) -- how does the CTS compare with GS350 in terms of features and drivability?

Thoughts anyone who has actually looked into both??
And while I'm at it, what other cars (some Infiniti model for example), should potential GS buyers look at as well?
Old 11-03-07, 06:11 PM
noobs
Rookie

I just drove the CTS and drove the GS at Taste of Lexus. I prefer the ride of the CTS. The GS is quieter and more plush, but there is also less feedback. The Lexus is a bit more refined and both have features the other one does not.

I looked at the Infiniti M, Acura RL, BMW 535, Mercedes E350 and Volvo S80. My top 3 choices are the CTS, GS and M.

I'll find out delivery date of my GS on Monday and compare it prices and availability of the CTS and decide. Slightly leaning towards CTS.
Old 11-03-07, 07:29 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default How different people approach choosing a car

Originally Posted by Yang1815
CTS is not the price of IS. If you build a fully loaded CTS, it's about 50k...

CTS is a very nice car and of all American cars, GM is the only one I would consider. Take a test drive and see for yourself.
That's interesting since it points out how different people approaching choosing a car.

The LAST thing I would do would be to drive a car I was considering. The first thing I want to do is to understand the feature differences to see which one is better and to see if either have essential missing features or features designed so poorly that they are deal breakers.

For example, around 2000 when the new LSs were coming out and I was think about buying one, I seriously considered a Mercedes S430 or S500 instead, but, when I tried again and again to use the Mercedes' brain dead nav system, I realized that it would take so much time to input an address that I probably almost never use it. Much later I drove the car, but I didn't much care how it drove since I knew the nav system would drive me nuts.
Old 11-03-07, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

New CTS is great but I wouldn't buy one in the first year, just as first year Lexus 2GS and 3GS had issues.
Old 11-03-07, 08:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm its hard, i say stick with your lexus order, as long as u have a car to drive now its fine, and instead of the cts, id look for a slightly used sts or dts. those are really nice
Old 11-04-07, 07:09 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

I think the new CTSs look hella hot..
The body..I'm not too sure about the interior...

I remember debating in between the CTS and my GS as well...
I just simply liked both cars...I wasn't considering performance or any other aspects...just looks..

But when I thought about value and reliability...and all those other things I went with my GS..

Weight your options and see what's best for you..

I would lean towards hte CTS in your case...I love the new body style...very bold
Old 11-04-07, 08:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove the 2008 CTS as a rental on a recent trip to Charlotte and it's a rocking car, but it's not in the same class as the GS. It's more a IS fighter and I must say it beats the IS in my mind. The handling is tight and performance overall I thought is better than the IS350. The CTS was probably just off the truck because it only had 180 miles when I got it. It was a rental, so I beat the crap out of it since most times it was only me in the car. Acceleration response was instant, corners were tight, and space in the back was much more than the IS.

Given that CTS is actually priced (comparably equipped) more to the GS, then if you compare the two together, it's no contest. The GS is better, just like it's better than the IS.
Old 11-05-07, 01:40 AM
NYC_kid
Pole Position

three reason's not to get CTS
1.you really dont want to buy a car that people are renting when they get off the airport...
2.cadillac is for older folks.
3.reliability (if you want to spend more time at the dealer than driving the car go for the cts)

Quick Reply: Wait for my 08 GS or buy a CTS?