GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 12:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I wonder how consistent the build quality are in these units.
Old 12-08-07, 04:33 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecount00
Just for grins, I pulled the battery cable, then reset the nav to the 5.1 data dvd. Same results. approx 30 to 45 seconds of override time. i did notice that if i kept the speed below 30 mph, i would get maybe a minute 15 or a little more. at about 40 mph it was the 30 to 45 seconds. went back to 7.1 dvd and was able to duplicate the results. didn't use a stop watch but using the dash clock as a rough timer didn't notice any diff between 5.1 and 7.1.

definitely the override interval is dependent on speed. that is probably obvious to others but sharing just the same. that may apply to all but is more noticeable in my case where the override window is so compressed. I don't think I would have noticed the speed variation if the override stayed in force for 2 minutes or more as a norm. would have been done and clicked it off before then. In all cases the red navi light is still on even tho the touchscreen buttons have grayed back out. in all cases it's about 35-45 seconds at about 45 mph.
Will see if PS can set up a test. they are trying. at this point i think i'm going to always wonder if the unit is defective if we can't do something. haven't done any timing test at 50 mph or above. maybe at that speed i will have had to set the navi target 2 days before i leave home to stay inside the override window

Last edited by ecount00; 12-08-07 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 03:51 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Just for grins, I pulled the battery cable, then reset the nav to the 5.1 data dvd. Same results. approx 30 to 45 seconds of override time. i did notice that if i kept the speed below 30 mph, i would get maybe a minute 15 or a little more. at about 40 mph it was the 30 to 45 seconds. went back to 7.1 dvd and was able to duplicate the results. didn't use a stop watch but using the dash clock as a rough timer didn't notice any diff between 5.1 and 7.1.

definitely the override interval is dependent on speed. that is probably obvious to others but sharing just the same. that may apply to all but is more noticeable in my case where the override window is so compressed. I don't think I would have noticed the speed variation if the override stayed in force for 2 minutes or more as a norm. would have been done and clicked it off before then. In all cases the red navi light is still on even tho the touchscreen buttons have grayed back out. in all cases it's about 35-45 seconds at about 45 mph.

Will see if PS can set up a test. they are trying. at this point i think i'm going to always wonder if the unit is defective if we can't do something. haven't done any timing test at 50 mph or above.
Got the old watch with sweep second hand and did a few more tests. The override interval is the same at 65 mph as it is at 45 mph: 35 seconds. Then the touch screen buttons gray back out even tho the red navi lite on the kit is still lit.

If i keep the speed below 35 mph after flicking the navi switch, the override stays in effect for about 60 seconds. No difference between using the 5.1 or 7.1 data dvds at any speed.

Will see what PS comes up with. Think i will be asking for a replacement unit.
Old 12-10-07, 09:24 AM
PS VIP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the old watch with sweep second hand and did a few more tests. The override interval is the same at 65 mph as it is at 45 mph: 35 seconds. Then the touch screen buttons gray back out even tho the red navi lite on the kit is still lit.

If i keep the speed below 35 mph after flicking the navi switch, the override stays in effect for about 60 seconds. No difference between using the 5.1 or 7.1 data dvds at any speed.

Will see what PS comes up with. Think i will be asking for a replacement unit.
Hi all, apparently the 7.1 Navigation creates issue for the GS and LS. We do not recommend our clients who already installed this unit to upgrade the 7.1. Sorry for all the trouble and delay on addressing this issue.

Greg, please check your email. We will give you a full refund for your purchase. Again, we apologize for all the trouble.
Old 12-10-07, 09:28 AM
PS VIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
I wonder how consistent the build quality are in these units.
So far we only have 3 reports out of the 40 units we sold. One was confirmed this weekend to be working fine (perhaps the installation did not go well and the plug was not fully plug in). The other two are both with 7.1 Nav. (one in LS and one in GS).

We had tested another unit on 3GS with 7.1 and duplicated the result mentioned by Greg above.
Old 12-10-07, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i did the testing for PS yesteryda on my gs350. installation was the same as 07, but i got the same results as ecount00. nav override went away after 30 seconds or so.

i did a lot of testing yesterday night on the gs350, and i noticed something very weird about the system, which is very likely to be the reason why 7.1 doesn't work. i don't want to create panic but i will try to dig in more. basically i see that the gs350 nav override works very differently from the 2is and 4ls i have worked on.

i have installed nav kit on over 5 2is, 3gs, and 4ls. i have yet to see one unit being defective. all installations had been fine (except for my problems on the 7.1)
Old 12-10-07, 01:06 PM
silver2000
Rookie

So this means that 08 GS owners have to look elsewhere ?
Old 12-10-07, 01:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by silver2000
So this means that 08 GS owners have to look elsewhere ?
i am still trying to see if i can get a work around, but as of now, i don't think this will be a solution for 08

who has any idea on which is the antenna signal on the 08...
Old 12-10-07, 06:36 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i did the testing for PS yesteryda on my gs350. installation was the same as 07, but i got the same results as ecount00. nav override went away after 30 seconds or so.

i did a lot of testing yesterday night on the gs350, and i noticed something very weird about the system, which is very likely to be the reason why 7.1 doesn't work. i don't want to create panic but i will try to dig in more. basically i see that the gs350 nav override works very differently from the 2is and 4ls i have worked on.

i have installed nav kit on over 5 2is, 3gs, and 4ls. i have yet to see one unit being defective. all installations had been fine (except for my problems on the 7.1)

I think I reported the first instance of the override duration being very short (approx 30 seconds) and don't want to create confusion. I have an 06 GS300 that has a gen 4 navi. My 5.1 dvd is marked u20, 7.1 is u22.

In my car, the override module works for about 35 seconds at speeds 40mph and above. it will stay in force about 60 seconds if i keep the speed at 25mph or so. in either case, the red navi light stays on but the touch screen buttons gray back out.

I tried this with both 5.1 and 7.1 dvds. I was careful to disconnect the battery for a while then insert the 5.1 dvd to reload the firmware. i was able to access the hidden override menu after that so I am certain 5.1 firmware was in force. the override module did not behave any differently. still 35 seconds.

This behavior is the same whether i'm using 5.1 or 7.1. In my case at least, it is NOT apparently related to using 7.1 dvd.

I can only conclude that the unit is defective or that the issue is driven by my gen4 unit no matter what firmware version used. If others are getting the same result as me, the unit may not be defective.

I was focused on the interval so I didn't do extensive testing with 7.1 but I didn't experience anything that would make me believe that 7.1 had anything to do with the way my module is behaving.
Old 12-10-07, 07:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I think I reported the first instance of the override duration being very short (approx 30 seconds) and don't want to create confusion. I have an 06 GS300 that has a gen 4 navi. My 5.1 dvd is marked u20, 7.1 is u22.

In my car, the override module works for about 35 seconds at speeds 40mph and above. it will stay in force about 60 seconds if i keep the speed at 25mph or so. in either case, the red navi light stays on but the touch screen buttons gray back out.

I tried this with both 5.1 and 7.1 dvds. I was careful to disconnect the battery for a while then insert the 5.1 dvd to reload the firmware. i was able to access the hidden override menu after that so I am certain 5.1 firmware was in force. the override module did not behave any differently. still 35 seconds.

This behavior is the same whether i'm using 5.1 or 7.1. In my case at least, it is NOT apparently related to using 7.1 dvd.

I can only conclude that the unit is defective or that the issue is driven by my gen4 unit no matter what firmware version used. If others are getting the same result as me, the unit may not be defective.

I was focused on the interval so I didn't do extensive testing with 7.1 but I didn't experience anything that would make me believe that 7.1 had anything to do with the way my module is behaving.
couple of conflicting points though

1) i did an install on 07, no problem at all, it works no problem
2) 07 has gen 5, it works
3) it has 7.0, it works

i actually drove around within my community at 25mph and the override worked for the whole 5 mins. so one thing for sure, speed and your location matters

do the following test. override the system and drive your car. look at the MAP screen. at the top left, it should have the compass, right below that, do you see the words GPS? i bet you do (when the system is overriding). if so, that's exactly the problem. coz' that means the system is still tracking you from the satellite. that's why after a while (at certain speed), the system figured you are actually moving, so it tracks you again and disable the override. check it out, when the system is overriding but the screen grays out after 30 seconds or so, go to the MAP screen. your location is moving. that's a sign that the antenna signal is not completely blocked

and that's the issue i am trying to look into, why i asked about the antenna signal
Old 12-10-07, 08:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I need to get a hold of a 7.1 disc and see if there is any variance.
Old 12-11-07, 06:06 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

do the following test. override the system and drive your car. look at the MAP screen. at the top left, it should have the compass, right below that, do you see the words GPS? i bet you do (when the system is overriding). if so, that's exactly the problem. coz' that means the system is still tracking you from the satellite. that's why after a while (at certain speed), the system figured you are actually moving, so it tracks you again and disable the override. check it out, when the system is overriding but the screen grays out after 30 seconds or so, go to the MAP screen. your location is moving. that's a sign that the antenna signal is not completely blocked

and that's the issue i am trying to look into, why i asked about the antenna signal
Exactly right. When in override the GPS indicator on the map screen stays. the car locator cursor does stop moving for the 35 seconds of override. No movement even at max zoom in where movement would be most noticeable.

When the DEST buttons gray back out, if I go to the map screen as fast as i can push the map button the position cursor is moving again AND it's recalibrated to current position already rather than just started moving from the position frozen when override was started.

Works this way for both v5 and v7 firmware and data so it's not v7 specific for me.

Can we conclude anything from this? Faulty unit?, just the way it works for my configuration?, still not enough info? I don't have any insight to the antenna question but will research it if there is something i can do with the car to help.
Old 12-11-07, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i might need to ask the 07 gs350 i did the install (7.0) and see what it is like on his car.

what i can tell from this is that the car is now tracking a different signals on locations / movement, no longer the previous signals. that's why the nav override fails. but the next question would be how 7.0 works differently

regarding the 5.0, i can't say for sure, but i have a feeling that when you put in the 7.1 disc, i might have updated something that's permanently there, so even with 5.0 disc in it doesn't help anymore. evidently a lot of 06 and 07 people without 7.1 have no problems. and i believe the unit i have for testing is not a defective unit (will know more this weekend hopefully when installed on another vehicle with 7.0 and no upgrades).

man, i hate diagnosing problems like these @_@
Old 12-11-07, 09:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

^^ Hey Henry.. let me know if you need any more tests run.. I can do that..
Also, if you need me and I have the time I can swing by on the weekend..

BTW, don't the 2007 GS350's and GS430's use v6.1??

Joe Z
Old 12-11-07, 10:45 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

i might need to ask the 07 gs350 i did the install (7.0) and see what it is like on his car.

regarding the 5.0, i can't say for sure, but i have a feeling that when you put in the 7.1 disc, i might have updated something that's permanently there, so even with 5.0 disc in it doesn't help anymore. evidently a lot of 06 and 07 people without 7.1 have no problems. and i believe the unit i have for testing is not a defective unit (will know more this weekend hopefully when installed on another vehicle with 7.0 and no upgrades).

As for the 05, i get your point about something being updated permanently. I did disconnect the battery for a while and reload the v5 dvd which does bring up the powering up screen with progress bar as the system reloads firmware. I could then access the hidden override menu that i know if part of v5 so I know i was runnning v5 firmware. There are more split screen options in 7 than 5 has and those extras went away as expected. Maybe it's something else with 7.1 as you said that can't be undone.

thinking the only way to be definitive is to get another override unit and install it. if it works the same, it's a limitation with my setup. if not, the original unit was defective.

Will be interested in what you learn from other trails. will sit tight for a while.

Quick Reply: 2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!