GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 11:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

cool, thanks so much ryan and joe!

ryan, so you still see the GPS when overriding, that's completely different from the 4LS and 2IS. wonder what that has to do with it. but thanks for testing it out man, that's good info

joe, good info there too, i think it's time to pull apart my nav again and see what's going on. although i wonder what i can do if someone the speed doesn't say 0
Old 12-17-07, 12:13 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is over my head but if there is anything I can do to further the cause, happy to. I have 2006 GS gen 4 nav with v7dvd. I'm getting the 35 second window. As previously reported, GPS does stay on my screen at all times tho maybe that isn't as telling given lastest posts.

I attempted the DISP 'touch screen up/down trick' but don't get any where in my GS. I used to be able to get to the service menu via /menu/volume/upper left/lower/upper/lower left but lost that when i went above v5. The contrast button is in the lower left of my DISP screen so tried to duplicate it best i could with no result.

Let me know if i can help somehow. I started off trying to figure out if my 35 second limit was a defect (in that it was just my unit). Doesn't seem so now. Agree?
Old 12-18-07, 12:12 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's common. If you're fast, I wonder if 35 seconds is enough?
Old 12-18-07, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ecount00
This is over my head but if there is anything I can do to further the cause, happy to. I have 2006 GS gen 4 nav with v7dvd. I'm getting the 35 second window. As previously reported, GPS does stay on my screen at all times tho maybe that isn't as telling given lastest posts.

I attempted the DISP 'touch screen up/down trick' but don't get any where in my GS. I used to be able to get to the service menu via /menu/volume/upper left/lower/upper/lower left but lost that when i went above v5. The contrast button is in the lower left of my DISP screen so tried to duplicate it best i could with no result.

Let me know if i can help somehow. I started off trying to figure out if my 35 second limit was a defect (in that it was just my unit). Doesn't seem so now. Agree?
i saw the same thing in my 08 gs350. it's 100% proven that the unit is working since i tested it on another car (not gs). so unless you and i both did something wrong on the installation, then i guess it is something to do with 7.1 (which is the part that i don't understand since it's software against hardware)
Old 12-18-07, 09:25 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

Did we ever get any word on whether this works in the non-ML systems - I have Gen 5, v. 6.1 (2007 GS350).

Also, please confirm - there is a button that you need to put somewhere to do the override, right? Have you figured out a place to put it so it looks built-in?
Old 12-18-07, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nop, i haven't seen any non-ML cars yet

the button placement is really personal, you can pretty much put it anywhere. i think the bottom corner of the head unit where it meets the shift place, that's pretty good
Old 12-18-07, 10:18 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sf7307
Also, please confirm - there is a button that you need to put somewhere to do the override, right? Have you figured out a place to put it so it looks built-in?
Confirmed..

It is owners decision where to place button.

Old 12-18-07, 05:13 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i saw the same thing in my 08 gs350. it's 100% proven that the unit is working since i tested it on another car (not gs). so unless you and i both did something wrong on the installation, then i guess it is something to do with 7.1 (which is the part that i don't understand since it's software against hardware)

Ok. At least I don't seem to have a wacky kit. Have thought about the installation too but it was so simple. Upper plug on the driver side, lower plug where the blue wire was, put the original plugs into the harness counterparts. I keep thinking about that lower plug where the blue wire jacked in. It was kind of awkward reach on top of a tight fit and wonder if i got it pushed in far enough but figure it wouldn't work at all if it wasn't seated properly. Haven't been motivated enough to pull the head unit again just to do that. That's all I got.
Old 12-18-07, 05:16 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by codex57
Sounds like it's common. If you're fast, I wonder if 35 seconds is enough?
Once i figured out i had a tight time limit, i did get a little faster. depends some on the outside environment and how diverted/focused you can be on getting the input done. I find that most of the time I can get a direct address input in 30 seconds now that i know i'm on the clock. For entering poi by name where you have to search lists and pick from among choices that are similar, I almost always have to go back for a 2nd 30 second window. definite work around but doable.
Old 12-18-07, 05:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ecount00
Ok. At least I don't seem to have a wacky kit. Have thought about the installation too but it was so simple. Upper plug on the driver side, lower plug where the blue wire was, put the original plugs into the harness counterparts. I keep thinking about that lower plug where the blue wire jacked in. It was kind of awkward reach on top of a tight fit and wonder if i got it pushed in far enough but figure it wouldn't work at all if it wasn't seated properly. Haven't been motivated enough to pull the head unit again just to do that. That's all I got.
one thing i did notice after i installed the kit and start the car. on my friend's 07 gs350, i saw the system loading page (something like system is loading, do not shut off car). however when i did my 08 gs350, i didn't see that screen at all.
Old 12-18-07, 09:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

one thing i did notice after i installed the kit and start the car. on my friend's 07 gs350, i saw the system loading page (something like system is loading, do not shut off car). however when i did my 08 gs350, i didn't see that screen at all.
Do you think we had it unplugged for a longer period of time which defaults the system to reset?
Old 12-18-07, 09:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

This is where mine is located:

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here's where I decided to locate my switch. More to come.

I actually took the slack out of the line so the button is basically as far in as it can go in that part of the console. No need for double-sided tape when it's in that far.
Old 12-18-07, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
Do you think we had it unplugged for a longer period of time which defaults the system to reset?
i don't know, ryan, still figuring out why and what happened.

willing to take yours apart again so i can check the wires?
Old 12-19-07, 09:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Henry, when we did my 2008 IS350, it went through the same system loading screen on the initial Start Up...

Also, yesterday for the 1st time I noticed I had some codes in history on the Tech Service System Check Menu for "Nav" - it was orange...

I also had many under the "Lan Mon" area... that were orange...

I just cleared ALL of them out...

I am not sure if they were there before I did the override.. it could also be related to unplugging the partial power supply to the head unit

Ryan / Henry - Have you seen any Orange boxes in the Tech Svc area??

Now - I can create an orange box under Nav, everytime the button is pressed while in that screen.. but it will go back to Blue once the Nav button is depressed or timed out and you hit the "recheck" button.

Joe Z
Old 12-19-07, 10:16 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

Are any of you (flipside? Joe?) in the Bay Area? If so, could you PM me if you'd be willing to have us pay a visit to "try out" the override.

Quick Reply: 2007 3GS NAV/DVD/CD Override plug-n-play kit test results - it works!