GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

$140 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 07:43 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $140 Oil Change

I don't mean to be rude or ignorant and I hate to always compare my GS430 to the BMW 330Ci I had just previous. But I have already put over 10,000 miles on this car since 3/3/07. That is a lot for me. Anyway, I took it to the dealer I bought it from outside of Phila. in July and they offer the first oil change for free. I took it in again this morning for the second oil change and the guy tells me I need the 10k miles service...$140. I asked him what it included and he said oil change, tire rotation and top off all the fluids. Am I crazy or just plain cheap, or does that sound to anyone like a $140 oil change and tire rotation? I could get that at Tires Plus for $18.99 plus the small disposal fee. Why doesn't Lexus include scheduled maintenance? BMW does it and I understand they are one of the few. So what does a regular oil change cost at a Lexus Dealer? I will say one thing for sure, I am not paying $140 every three or four months for an oil change.
Old 11-13-07, 07:47 AM
cpone
There can only be One

That is called getting raped!

They putting Amsoil in that thing?
Old 11-13-07, 08:03 AM
safricags
Pole Position

do the cars there not come with service plans as standard?

mine came with 60 000 mile service plan..
Old 11-13-07, 08:11 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, 140 for an oil change and tire rotation is a complete and total rip off.

I buy my own oil and filter and an independent shop charges liek 17 for labor to put it in for me, and like 25 to rotate the tires... or i could have it done for free at townfair since i bought the tires there.

I would never EVER spend more than 40 bucks for oil change.
Old 11-13-07, 09:42 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, its ridiculous. I don't remember exact price quoted for my 10k service, but after I told them tire rotation will be done outside and my breaks doesn't need to be inspected since I did dustless-TSIB at 5k, I ended up paying under $60. For 15k service, I planning to do rotation outside (cost $20) and replace my own cabin a/c filter ($25 or so).
Old 11-13-07, 10:09 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Default oil changes

Originally Posted by rozGS430
I don't mean to be rude or ignorant and I hate to always compare my GS430 to the BMW 330Ci I had just previous. But I have already put over 10,000 miles on this car since 3/3/07. That is a lot for me. Anyway, I took it to the dealer I bought it from outside of Phila. in July and they offer the first oil change for free. I took it in again this morning for the second oil change and the guy tells me I need the 10k miles service...$140. I asked him what it included and he said oil change, tire rotation and top off all the fluids. Am I crazy or just plain cheap, or does that sound to anyone like a $140 oil change and tire rotation? I could get that at Tires Plus for $18.99 plus the small disposal fee. Why doesn't Lexus include scheduled maintenance? BMW does it and I understand they are one of the few. So what does a regular oil change cost at a Lexus Dealer? I will say one thing for sure, I am not paying $140 every three or four months for an oil change.
For the price you paid for this luxury auto wouldn't you want people who are factory trained to work on Lexus cars to do work on your car? or would you rather have some so-so mechanic at Jiffy lube do the work? Besides service is only recommended every 6 months. A trained Lexus mechanic also looks over your car and lets you know if there is anything wrong and if it is then it should be covered under warranty. A local oil change place will only recommend unwanted services not that Lexus or other dealerships don't do anyway but the tradeoff is that while they do oil change they will do the necessary adjustments if needed where a local shop will not. BMW does the free maintenance so that they can have certify vehicles for resale but even then the free maintenance only covers a oil change once a year or longer depending how much mileage is on car. After free maintenance period be prepared to get raped for routine service. Just my thoughts. By the way re; tire rotation. If Lexus damages your wheels while rotating and you complain then most likely they will replace wheel for free but at a local tire shop you're on your own

Last edited by bokmeipai; 11-13-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-13-07, 10:18 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Take it to a toyota dealer. I take my ES to a toyota dealer and bring my oil and filter. They charge me $10 for labor and $17 for tire rotation. I buy Pennzoil Platinum at walmart for $18 and toyota filter for $3.50. Total $49.
Old 11-13-07, 11:25 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can call around and see what various dealers charge. in my area it varies from $100-$150. i have been taking it to the dealer than does $100 b/c they do a great job and i have a good relationship w/ the service advisor.

i personally don't know how (or want) to DIY and i don't have the time to do it. sure i could go to jiffy for oil change, then to costco for free tire rotation, then to some auto parts place to buy all the fluids i need to top off, and then to the local hand car wash, but i'd rather not drive around to do all those things when i can just go and have them do it all in one shot.

everyone is different though, so it's whatever you are willing to tolerate and i suppose what/how much you value your time.

BMW offers free scheduled maint b/c it has been successful in getting people to try the brand and not worry about repairs. all the other luxury brands have done away with the free scheduled maintenance AFAIK.
Old 11-13-07, 04:31 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Alot of these comments about lexus technicians being the "master race" is actually quite silly. Ive used an independent shop (no not a midas or jiffy lube) for years and years and theyve always been very happy to take care of my car quickly and efficiently, and they charge half as much.

The owner thanked me on several occasions because having my lexus in the front parked after servicing instigated many other lexus/infiniti owners to have their cars serviced there.
Old 11-13-07, 09:17 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Isn't the oil special?

My M5 oil changes were quite expensive but the oil lasted 15k miles.

I only have 3k miles on my GS350 so I have not encountered this issue yet.
Old 11-14-07, 01:34 PM
BMWTECH
Driver School Candidate

Hey You Guys Are Driing A 35k Car But Can Not Pay For Oil Change
By The Way How Nice Is It For Lexus To Give You A Loaner And Wash Your Car, Oh I Am Sorry Jiffy Lube Does That . I Do Not Think So!!!
Lets Be Real You Pay For What You Get!!!and By The Way Bmw Puts The Price Of All Its So Called Free Service Into Price Of Car
Old 11-24-07, 11:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to get charged 115 to 120 bucks for synthetic oil at the infinti dealer, so i started going to the store and buying the oil myself. They would charge me for the filter and disposal fee.
Old 11-25-07, 08:12 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

the local lexus dealer here wanted $79 for just the oil change svc..they use Kendal GT1 full synthetic..the also inspect the car and top of fluids and a half *** car wash. I went to a good local repair shop for $70 and got Mobil 1 full synthetic and top of fluids and a tire check...good thing, my tires were really worse than i thought. I would rather clean my own car than they just run it through their on site car wash without any TLC.
Even $70 seems a little high but i trust these guys for minor services...Lexus gets it for the bigger services.
Just tell your Lexus dealer all you want is the OIL CHANGES SVC...not the inflated 10K svc crap they tell you need...do the 15/30/45 type svcs not the 10/20 ones...your car is too new to feel threatened for that.
Old 11-25-07, 08:22 AM
j0xxx
Pole Position

at toyota in richardson tx its under 30$$$ after taxes for an oil change and a wash.
Old 11-25-07, 12:27 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

At Sewell Lexus, they normally charge $50.00 for the oil change. Since they allow me to bring my own Mobil 1, still they only charge $30.00 for the labor, oil filter, and filter ring.

Best of all, they still give me the loaner plus car wash and cleaned interior!!!

NO WONDER, THEY ARE RATED #1 IN CUSTOMERS' SERVICE AND SATISFACTION !!!

Quick Reply: $140 Oil Change