GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS Aspherical Mirror Availability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 06:28 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Aspherical Mirror Availability?

I don’t know if they even exist for our cars but I am looking for a vendor that carries outside aspherical mirrors for my 06 GS430. I first got used to aspherical mirrors when I bought my first set for my 04 VW R32 and liked them so much that I bought another set for my wife’s 07 Passat. They replace only the mirror glass itself and are really nice to have because you get a great view of about 2.5 lanes of traffic on either side of your car without having to twist your head all over. Maybe it is just me but I think the GS has a huge blind spot on the driver’s side, especially when trying to quickly carve through heavy highway traffic.

The problem is that the VW mirrors are a European only market option (not offered in the U.S.) and a little hard to find so I am hoping that maybe, just maybe these mirrors are available from the European or Asian markets for our cars too.

Any ideas where I can get these?

Thanks.
Old 11-15-07, 06:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I've never heard of them as replacement glass in Lexus.

One consideration though (and I'm not sure of what options come with what models in the 3GS) is the specialty glass in your OEM mirror that you may be giving up with the electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors and and heat/defogger features
Old 11-15-07, 09:28 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've never heard of them as replacement glass in Lexus.

One consideration though (and I'm not sure of what options come with what models in the 3GS) is the specialty glass in your OEM mirror that you may be giving up with the electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors and and heat/defogger features
The VW aspherical mirrors I am familiar with retain their heating function just like the OEM mirrors (neither have auto-dimming). The VW asphericals even have a VW part number so I still hoping to find a genuine Lexus mirror one way or another.

Looks like a long shot however.
Old 11-15-07, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't think there is such thing for lexus

but the mirrors on 3gs i do believe have autodimming, that goes along with the rear view mirror. it's on 2gs, would be stupid not on 3gs
Old 11-15-07, 10:11 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that'd be nice to have.

For now, I just adjust my mirrors outwards so I can see the blind spot.
Old 11-15-07, 03:20 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CVGolfer
I don’t know if they even exist for our cars but I am looking for a vendor that carries outside aspherical mirrors for my 06 GS430. I first got used to aspherical mirrors when I bought my first set for my 04 VW R32 and liked them so much that I bought another set for my wife’s 07 Passat. They replace only the mirror glass itself and are really nice to have because you get a great view of about 2.5 lanes of traffic on either side of your car without having to twist your head all over.
I had them on my '03 Passat (both sides) and you are right -- they make a huge difference. They also had a blue tint to them, which cut the headlight glare at night, since the Passat didn't have autodimming mirrors.

Originally Posted by CVGolfer
Maybe it is just me but I think the GS has a huge blind spot on the driver’s side, especially when trying to quickly carve through heavy highway traffic.
Nope, not just you ... I thought it was just me. If these exist for the GS, I'd buy them without hesitation.
Old 11-15-07, 08:49 PM
MSL
Rookie

Yeah is true i have a real big blind spot on the driver side everytime am gonne change lanes I got it turn my head so if you do find them let us know about it...
Old 11-21-07, 03:56 AM
unknown2
Driver

Yes, they do exist.. At least for Middle East (ME) market... I had them in my VW and i can't live without them... I have an ME ES350 but it comes with the driver side only.. I believe the LS, GS, IS comes for both sides but not 100%.. One time i asked for the IS mirror and it was about $300 EACH because of the dimming feature...
Old 11-21-07, 04:25 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unknown2
Yes, they do exist.. At least for Middle East (ME) market... I had them in my VW and i can't live without them... I have an ME ES350 but it comes with the driver side only.. I believe the LS, GS, IS comes for both sides but not 100%.. One time i asked for the IS mirror and it was about $300 EACH because of the dimming feature...
This is great news. Since my original post, I have asked Lexus USA via their website for help but have not yet received a reply and to be honest doubt that I ever will.

I am certainly willing to go to a fair amount of trouble and expense to get a set of OEM aspherical mirrors for my GS. If there is any way that you'd be willing to help me source them on your end, I'd be very grateful. And I'd be willing to bet that more than a few sets would be bought if they were available because they are that good.

Thank you for the information.
Old 11-21-07, 08:09 AM
unknown2
Driver

Sure i can help you... But let me gather more information about the GS3 mirrors... I know the dealer will not give me any part number so you might be able to source them in USA.. But, i will try my best..

BTY, Arabic is our spoken language... You know every mirror has the stupid warning (Objects are closer than they appear or something like that).. It will be in Arabic if you don't care... I'm 99% sure that Europ market have the blind spot mirror in thier GS...

Anyway, call your dealer and see how much YOUR mirror (just the glass) cost.. I just want to compare prices.. Also, if you have P/N for both mirrors, that will be even better so i can compare!

Here is a pic of my mirror in my ES350.. Too bad they don't build the blind spot for Passenger side...

BTW, i really don't check the GS forum! I was looking for something and i found this thread! If i didn't respond, just PM me

Old 11-21-07, 09:48 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Sure i can help you... But let me gather more information about the GS3 mirrors... I know the dealer will not give me any part number so you might be able to source them in USA.. But, i will try my best..

BTY, Arabic is our spoken language... You know every mirror has the stupid warning (Objects are closer than they appear or something like that).. It will be in Arabic if you don't care... I'm 99% sure that Europ market have the blind spot mirror in thier GS...

Anyway, call your dealer and see how much YOUR mirror (just the glass) cost.. I just want to compare prices.. Also, if you have P/N for both mirrors, that will be even better so i can compare!

Here is a pic of my mirror in my ES350.. Too bad they don't build the blind spot for Passenger side...

BTW, i really don't check the GS forum! I was looking for something and i found this thread! If i didn't respond, just PM me

You are killing me with that photo, that is exactly what I am looking for!

I just called my local Lexus dealer for pricing for regular '06 GS mirror glass. The left is #8796150430 @ $356.88, the right is #8793150460 @ $326.60. As usual, Lexus is giving away their products at a good price. Not.

The Arabic text on the mirror is not an issue with me, it only makes the mirror even more unique and interesting. However, my right VW aspherical mirror doesn't have any wording at all so maybe the right side Lexus aspherical won't either.

Thanks again for the assistance from the other side of the world.
Old 11-21-07, 10:56 AM
unknown2
Driver

Thanks for the #s.. I will check for you, but just give me some time since i will be busy for the next two weeks but i will try my best.. Is the 07 mirrors are the same?? I'm asking because it will be easier for me to grab the VIN number from the showroom and ask for the parts...
Old 11-21-07, 11:31 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the #s.. I will check for you, but just give me some time since i will be busy for the next two weeks but i will try my best.. Is the 07 mirrors are the same?? I'm asking because it will be easier for me to grab the VIN number from the showroom and ask for the parts...
Take your time, I am in no hurry. I will be taking the car in to have the mirrors replaced at some point (they do not return to their original position after backing out of the garage in the morning) and would like to have the asphericals in hand so Lexus can install them for me as they perform the other work.

As for the '06 versus '07 question, I am not 100% sure but I'd have to guess that they are the same for those two years. From what I have read here on this site, only the '08 mirrors are different for the 3GS.
Old 11-21-07, 09:50 PM
unknown2
Driver

Call another dealer (or your dealer), ask them for the 2007 mirrors.. See if they P/N will match for the 06 and the 07 from the numbers you have...
Old 11-23-07, 11:04 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Call another dealer (or your dealer), ask them for the 2007 mirrors.. See if they P/N will match for the 06 and the 07 from the numbers you have...
Lexus dealers are a bit stingy with details but I did find out that that the replacement mirrors for both the '06 and '07 GS are the same part number.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay in replying, it is the Thanksgiving holiday over here.

Quick Reply: GS Aspherical Mirror Availability?