GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius XM question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 10:51 AM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius XM question...

OK so I want 2 put XM in my GS I am going 2 go with the dealer and Sharkfin (I Know there are more economical ways but I like the OEM look) BUT when the merger happens will I have 2 completely rewire my components or worse get the sharkfin removed...Any insight would be greatly appreciated...
Old 11-15-07, 01:41 PM
Staxxin
Driver School Candidate

I’m in the process of doing the same thing. However, I have a 2007 which came pre-wired so I’ll just be adding the receiver and associated wiring harness.

I would think, the only thing you would have to do, if anything because who knows what the merger would yield, would be to change out the receiver. I’m sure some others more knowledge can shed some light on the details.

Who’s doing your install? Would you mind PM’ing me the details on the cost? I spoke to one local dealer and the price seemed rather high for the part alone. I haven’t been able to get a labor rate out of them. I think I’m going to buy from a forum member and get it installed by a dealer.
Old 11-15-07, 04:01 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BmoreGS4-
The XM/Sirius merger was just approved by shareholders yesterday. I suspect FTC approval will not happen for at least a year (govt' studies, sub committees, hearings, etc.). That being said, I'm sure as part of the FTC approval, there will be many clauses protecting us consumers for units already in existence. Point being think of all the GM vehicles w/ XM built in.... as well as all the other mfgs w/ either XM or Sirius built in (or as options). Consumers would throw fits if they had to pay to have an existing unit rebuilt to fit the merger. As part of the initial issuing of licenses to XM and Sirius, there were specific clauses to prevent them from ever merging to protect us and prevent a monopoly. Anyhow, of course times change, and I do think the FTC will approve the merger. However, I'm sure for the first "X" years (I'd guess to be at least 5) they will be prohibited from making any existing receivers obsolete. I say go forward and install the XM now to enjoy all it has to offer. Then benefit when the line ups merge so you can get all major league sports along w/ broader sources of music and talk radio. I currently have both XM and Sirius and it's easily 6 or 1/2 doz the other - aside from sports menus. I like 'em both and yes, I swore I'd never pay for radio. But, once I put it in one car, it soon lead to my wife's, then my weekend fun car, now the home, etc... to the point I have 4 XM receivers and I Sirius (mostly do to what was OEM available).

Staxxin-
Just DIY. It's super easy - takes about 1.5hrs and doesn't require any super technical knowledge. Here it is in a nutshell....
Disconnect battery
pull trunk liner
Bolt up receiver in factory drilled holes
Run harness and plug in to amp
Reinstall liner (after cutting out a small piece on the premarked lines ).
Reconnect battery.
Initialize windows (open/close each from it's actual door switch).
Call XM to activate.
Enjoy!

It's really that simple. As a CL member, you can buy the OEM kit from Sewell Lexus (a board sponsor) for $299 less 10% (use CL discount code: CL911M on check out). When I wanted it installed in our '07 GS, my dealer quoted something like $800 ($480 parts - balance labor) to which I politely smiled and said "Are you nucking futs???". After my DIY install, I definitely not only repeat the above, but also say "Anyone w/ an '07 who lets a dealer install must be out of their gucking fourd "

Here's a link to the overly detailed install instructions.... notice Toyota even tells you exactly where/how to put foam tape, zip-ties, secure/route the wires, etc. VERY DETAILED..
Install Instructions for GS

Go for it. Plus you won't feel guilty cracking open a cold one when finished

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 11-15-07 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 05:38 PM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

BurgBoxstr thanks for that info it is REALLY helpful and I can't lie I'm a lil DIY bashful but when you put it like that I may have 2 get it on...THANKS AGAIN!
Old 11-17-07, 04:52 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Can I do the same install on an O6? I realize that I don't have the 'sharkfin' but if I ran an external antena onto the trunk myself... would the unit install and plug/play into the ML amp be the same?
Old 11-17-07, 08:26 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From some of the info I read on the net, they might keep both of the satellite groups (Sirius and XM each have 3 satellites up now) and will continue transmitting at two different frequencies as they do right now. Can't wait to see the new line up of channels!!!
Old 11-17-07, 09:56 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Can I do the same install on an O6? I realize that I don't have the 'sharkfin' but if I ran an external antena onto the trunk myself... would the unit install and plug/play into the ML amp be the same?
Don't know w/ 100% certainty, but would suspect so. Go to Sewell's website and plug in your MY. Select accessories, then Sat/XM radio and there will be a link to the install instructions. Also, you can search the archives here as I'm sure a few fellow '06 owners installed XM in their cars as well.
Old 11-17-07, 10:37 AM
Staxxin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BmoreGS4
BurgBoxstr thanks for that info it is REALLY helpful and I can't lie I'm a lil DIY bashful but when you put it like that I may have 2 get it on...THANKS AGAIN!
Ditto, very helpful!!!! Thanks BurgBoxstr!!!