GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

dealer trying to charge too much my on tires (as expected)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 02:00 PM
andone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Stealers will always rape you on tires. Go to tirerack and look for the off set first, so that you can try and find it at costco.
Old 11-16-07, 05:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

i have never heard of such a rip off. Dont feel bad they tried to charge me 1000 for lowering the car. everyone else is telling me 300 to 350 is about right. Im starting to feel that the lexus dealers try to rip us off bec they know that to drive this type of a car you have to have a little money in the bank. so bec we are doing well they figure they can charge us like that.
Old 11-16-07, 05:57 PM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out dunlop SP Sport 5000 for an all season. They are good in snow until they have about 25K miles. Better bet for Boston would be snow tires for winter and good summer tires. Tirerack is the place to research. My local tire house matches their price.
Old 11-16-07, 06:36 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can any place besides the Lexus dealership do the actual INSTALL of the tires?
Old 11-16-07, 06:49 PM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

Yes, any place that sells tires. Remember that a Lexus is just an expensive Toyota. I use R & T Tires (local Goodyear/Dunlop dealer). they provide free rotate and balance for the tires for the life of the tires. I save a bundle on this because I have them rotated every oil change and balanced every other.
Old 11-16-07, 07:52 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Best so far I have had are the Goodyear tripletred's and I have also owned the Michelin Pilot's A/S, they are very good but just not as good as the tripletreds when is came to road noise and snow handling.
Do tell us who the dealer was so I can avoid them toooo.
Old 11-17-07, 03:49 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Modeler
You got it! The Pilot Sport A/S is by far the best high performance all-season tire out there. But if you want to spend just half of what these Michelins cost, go for the Continental ContiExtremeContact. I've got these from TireRack a bit less then a year ago. They are great. Rated #2 or #3 behind A/S on the TireRack.

I agree...In my research the ContiExtremeContact is a good choice. They have great ratings, and they're only $130 each (online at TireRack.com) The OEM tire for my 06 GS300 with 18" wheels are Yoko Advan A10B which are $310 and have horrible ratings and customer feedback. Not to mention being summer tires. So as winter approaches, I'm going to be refitting with Conti's.
Old 11-17-07, 07:14 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kingofire
Best so far I have had are the Goodyear tripletred's and I have also owned the Michelin Pilot's A/S, they are very good but just not as good as the tripletreds when is came to road noise and snow handling.
Do tell us who the dealer was so I can avoid them toooo.
Lexus of Norwood.
Old 11-17-07, 08:09 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

So the A/S pilot's work pretty well in the snow and are considered very good all-seasons? What is the approx. max miles on it
Old 11-17-07, 05:10 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bhuwan
So the A/S pilot's work pretty well in the snow and are considered very good all-seasons? What is the approx. max miles on it
You shouldn't expect to get more than 25,000 miles out of a very good high performance tire.
Old 11-17-07, 07:17 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Modeler
You shouldn't expect to get more than 25,000 miles out of a very good high performance tire.
Are there any all-season tires (that are good) with more miles ( I drive a lot per year )?
Old 11-17-07, 08:01 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Are there any all-season tires (that are good) with more miles ( I drive a lot per year )?

Yeah, the GY Tripletreds are rated for 80k miles.
Old 11-17-07, 08:05 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Lexus of Norwood.

I should have known.....I called the service department at Lexus of Norwood once to ask them what they would charge me for an oil change if i brought my own oil and filter. The guy proceeds to ask me if I brought my own chicken to the restaurant when i go out to eat. I told him no because I was a vegeterian......lol.....Bhuwan, they are trying to rape you cuz they have to somehow pay for that huge new building they moved to!
Old 11-18-07, 06:40 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I agree...In my research the ContiExtremeContact is a good choice. They have great ratings, and they're only $130 each (online at TireRack.com) The OEM tire for my 06 GS300 with 18" wheels are Yoko Advan A10B which are $310 and have horrible ratings and customer feedback. Not to mention being summer tires. So as winter approaches, I'm going to be refitting with Conti's.
FWIW, this is all true. They do grip well. However, they flatspot more than any tire I've ever tried, and the vibration can get old very quickly. Also, they become very loud (relative to Michelins and some Bridgestones) quickly as well. I've tried them on 2 different cars and at this point, I would pass.

So far, we've had really good luck with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS. Great reviews on Tirerack as well.
Old 11-18-07, 06:48 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
FWIW, this is all true. They do grip well. However, they flatspot more than any tire I've ever tried, and the vibration can get old very quickly. Also, they become very loud (relative to Michelins and some Bridgestones) quickly as well. I've tried them on 2 different cars and at this point, I would pass.

So far, we've had really good luck with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS. Great reviews on Tirerack as well.
I agree with the flatspotting comment, but I've tried a number of high performance tires over the last 8 years, and all of them had this problem. Are you saying that the Potenzas don't? How long have you had them on the car; did you have them through the winter? If they don't flatspot, I'd love to give them a try.

Quick Reply: dealer trying to charge too much my on tires (as expected)