GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

dealer trying to charge too much my on tires (as expected)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 07:22 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
I should have known.....I called the service department at Lexus of Norwood once to ask them what they would charge me for an oil change if i brought my own oil and filter. The guy proceeds to ask me if I brought my own chicken to the restaurant when i go out to eat. I told him no because I was a vegeterian......lol.....Bhuwan, they are trying to rape you cuz they have to somehow pay for that huge new building they moved to!
LOL!! Yeah **** norwood and herb chambers!
Old 11-18-07, 07:25 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
I agree with the flatspotting comment, but I've tried a number of high performance tires over the last 8 years, and all of them had this problem. Are you saying that the Potenzas don't? How long have you had them on the car; did you have them through the winter? If they don't flatspot, I'd love to give them a try.
I haven't had the 18" Potenzas during winter. In fact, they just came off, and the original 17" runflats are back on for the winter.

The Potenzas do seem to flat spot a bit, but they warm up quickly. Last time I had the Contis (on the '01 Accord), they were on between March and November (nice range of temperatures here in MA), and the roughness in the ride was pretty consistent throughout that period. So, although I never had the Potenzas through winter, the apple-to-apple comparison between the 2 models during a common period put the Potenzas higher on my list.
Old 11-18-07, 07:26 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caha14
FWIW, this is all true. They do grip well. However, they flatspot more than any tire I've ever tried, and the vibration can get old very quickly. Also, they become very loud (relative to Michelins and some Bridgestones) quickly as well. I've tried them on 2 different cars and at this point, I would pass.

So far, we've had really good luck with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS. Great reviews on Tirerack as well.
Do you know approx howlong these tires last (miles?) -- Also, they are pretty good in the SNOW?
Old 11-18-07, 07:35 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by bhuwan
Do you know approx howlong these tires last (miles?) -- Also, they are pretty good in the SNOW?
Not sure how long they'll last, but the warranty is for 40,000 miles. Check out this link (I hope it will work). This is a ranked list of Ultra High Performance tires from Tirerack. The Potenzas are not the best in snow, but they are very close, and they fare better in other categories.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...peed_rating=(Y)
Old 11-18-07, 09:06 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Not sure how long they'll last, but the warranty is for 40,000 miles. Check out this link (I hope it will work). This is a ranked list of Ultra High Performance tires from Tirerack. The Potenzas are not the best in snow, but they are very close, and they fare better in other categories.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS&width=245%2F&ratio=40&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2007&autoModel=GS430&autoModClar=Standard%20Model&minSpeedRating=V&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)

How long have your's lasted thus far?
Old 11-18-07, 11:01 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by bhuwan
How long have your's lasted thus far?
They were on for only 2k miles this season because we put them on late (late June timeframe), so naturally, not a lot of wear this season. They look pretty much new, as expected. The felt very smooth through last week when we took them off.
Old 11-19-07, 04:19 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Some people say the Pilots A/S can get 30 - 30K -- is this true?
Old 11-19-07, 05:45 PM
bhuwan
Pole Position

wow im even more confused now -- i've been reading that the michelon mxm4 and pilot A/S don't perform that well in the snow..so now i dont know if I should get those..
Old 11-21-07, 04:16 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, this is all true. They do grip well. However, they flatspot more than any tire I've ever tried, and the vibration can get old very quickly. Also, they become very loud (relative to Michelins and some Bridgestones) quickly as well. I've tried them on 2 different cars and at this point, I would pass.

So far, we've had really good luck with the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS. Great reviews on Tirerack as well.
Thanks for the adivce! After reading on here I'm going to check out the Potenza's and Tripletreads.

That flat-spotting is interesting...I've noticed that when I get in my car at the end of the day, there's a little vibration for about the first 2-3 miles... I guess they warm up and this goes away after that... Just the other day I was asking myself what the hell that was.
Old 11-21-07, 07:30 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Thanks for the adivce! After reading on here I'm going to check out the Potenza's and Tripletreads.

That flat-spotting is interesting...I've noticed that when I get in my car at the end of the day, there's a little vibration for about the first 2-3 miles... I guess they warm up and this goes away after that... Just the other day I was asking myself what the hell that was.
Yep, that's flatspotting. It's usually worst when it's cold outside, especially if the car sat outside overnight. On the ContiExtremeContact I would classify flatspotting as moderate, and it goes away after about five minutes of driving, once the tires get hot.

I previously had two tires - Bridgestone Turanzas and Falken - that had severe flatspotting problem. It was a very well publicized issue in the Acura TL community with the OEM Bridgestones that led to a quiet replacement of these tires by Acura.