GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2nd repair on the dash rattle... it came back

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 06:29 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd repair on the dash rattle... it came back

Let the dealer take apart the dash and insulate it... noise dissappeared for the first day. Next day I heard a little click noise. Now almost every bump I hear a click/rubbing noise. Really annoying!!!!
Old 11-20-07, 08:43 PM
MSL
Rookie

Thanks god never had that problem with mines... and I have never heard about it either...
Old 11-21-07, 03:35 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had my dealer do the 'window clips'... and I still have the noise. I was contimplating them taking the dash apart and doing the TSB fix too...after reading your post, I may change my mind.

Just in case you want a little 'do it yourself' advice. I've had some luck getting rid of the small cricking sounds you get when you go over bumps by sliding microfiber cloth (the ones you get to clean your sunglasses) in between the dash and the AC vents.
Old 11-21-07, 04:25 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
...I've had some luck getting rid of the small cricking sounds you get when you go over bumps by sliding microfiber cloth (the ones you get to clean your sunglasses) in between the dash and the AC vents.
Okay. This is freaky. I was just randomly checking out this forum and saw this description of the very same noise I have in my 07 GS 450h. I just took the car into the dealer primarily for a "check engine light" that came on, but I also asked them to address the "creaking"my dash is making where it joins the windshield. They supposedly did something, but I still get the same noise when I go over bumps.

I'm thinking/hoping it's just the speaker grills that are the problem. Haven't tried futzing with them yet.
Old 11-21-07, 06:03 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle

Consider checking the engine shields under the hood, particularly those near the windshield. I had what i thought was a dash squeek/rattle near the windshield and it turned out to be that. Those shields are only held on by flimsy plastic 'rivets' that had worn a little loose. i was skeptical so they took the driver side shield off and let me drive the car and the noise went away. They put in new clips and it held for a while. some days and on bumpy roads it comes back. i've raised the hood and twisted the rivets on occasion to try to tighten it down. comes and goes. at least in my case that's what it was.

I have read that one of the reasons that Consumer Reports dinged Lexus for 06 year (which is based on number of customer complaints) was due to various rattles with dash being high on the list. I don't know how precise that assertion is but based on my experience i can believe it.
Old 11-21-07, 06:07 PM
LAMPRO
Driver School Candidate

I had the problem for a couple of weeks, took it to dealer, they tried once- got it right for a couple days and then they did it again, whatever they did, and now its perfect, solid, no rattle. They told me they insulated the dash as much as they could.. Im assuming they had it out in pieces.. cant tell at all. Still looks 4 months old. Thats what it is. Except now its silent. Went by there today to say thanks for not giving up.
Old 11-21-07, 06:11 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MSL
Thanks god never had that problem with mines... and I have never heard about it either...
Well, if you have spent any time reading this forum, you would have heard about it. And you would have probably learned that it only happens in colder weather. I never heard a peep out of mine until November through March in Minnesota winters. And since you live in Florida that is why you have not had a problem with yours.

Just don't drive north of the Mason-Dixon line and you'll probably be OK.