GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 01:10 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

update - they said they're completed with it, but during the install they blew a fuse, which apparently must be made of plutonium because they can't replace the fuse until tomorrow. I specifically asked if the fuse blew because of these lights and he said he asked the technician the same question and said "no, the fuse will not blow anymore". I'm still a little skeptical about this whole fuse thing. So, another full day without my car, which is up to 4 days including the weekend to install 4 door lights which should have taken 2 hours.

on another note...I absolutely cannot stand this ES350 loaner they gave me...horrible!

gas guage says I have 40 miles till E...do I put some gas in it, or leave it as is? I won't need 40 miles to get home tonight and back to the dealership tomorrow. I really don't know if I'm supposed to put in what I use or not...like a true rental car.
Old 06-22-09, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i guess blowing a fuse when testing the wires that's ok, it happens. but haha yeah the fuse must be one of a kind

and you better check with dealership on the gas. i think a lot of dealerships are ok with gas usage, but i have seen some cases where they go strict and charge people
Old 06-22-09, 01:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

or just top up enough gas to bring it back the original level when you got the loaner. it's only a couple of bucks.
Old 06-22-09, 02:27 PM
atc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jtrue28
update - they said they're completed with it, but during the install they blew a fuse, which apparently must be made of plutonium because they can't replace the fuse until tomorrow. I specifically asked if the fuse blew because of these lights and he said he asked the technician the same question and said "no, the fuse will not blow anymore". I'm still a little skeptical about this whole fuse thing. So, another full day without my car, which is up to 4 days including the weekend to install 4 door lights which should have taken 2 hours.

on another note...I absolutely cannot stand this ES350 loaner they gave me...horrible!

gas guage says I have 40 miles till E...do I put some gas in it, or leave it as is? I won't need 40 miles to get home tonight and back to the dealership tomorrow. I really don't know if I'm supposed to put in what I use or not...like a true rental car.
I'd have to throw the bull ***** flag on that one. A 3rd grader can replace a fuse in 5 minutes. Better get you some gas and enjoy that ES350 tomorrow
Old 06-22-09, 04:51 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by atc1
I'd have to throw the bull ***** flag on that one. A 3rd grader can replace a fuse in 5 minutes. Better get you some gas and enjoy that ES350 tomorrow
exactly....that's why I'm skeptical about this fuse situation.

bit of advice for anyone else wishing to do this upgrade....let a high-end car stereo company install these for you. I'll update tomorrow morning to find out when I expect to get my car again.
Old 06-23-09, 04:54 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

So I finally got my car back today! Lights work...not as bright as I thought they would be, but they work! I have no idea what fuse blew, but apparently had nothing to do with the lights. It took a whole team pf people searching all over Lexington to find a $2.48 part....they found it at Radio Shack!

Hopefully later tonight or tomorrow I can get some pictures taken.

Here's a thought on the back door installation. Would it make sense to tap into whatever wire is running the little rubber ***** thing that triggers the dome light? I think that's what they hooked the back door up to since there was a lot of finger prints all over that interior piece right insided the door between the seat and frame.

All in all, I'm happy as of right now, although I still can't figure out why all of my radio pre-sets, navigation favorites and time were not reset, but my L1 preset for my seats and mirrors was cleared out.
Old 08-20-09, 05:54 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trying to get my rear sills to light up properly.

where do i find the rear power wire?

do tap into the cowl box and look for the pink wire or the load of wires running down the rocker panel?

this is a stupid question tho wheres the coutesy light switch? i hear i can you that to trial and error the power wire instead of opening and closing the door

Last edited by mackel53; 08-20-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 06:23 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

you may need to take the trim off all the way up the back door next to the seat. once you get that piece off you can tap into the wire that runs the dome light trigger. I really have no idea how they installed my lights, but apparently the back doors are a PITA.
Old 08-20-09, 06:43 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

anyone know if that wire runs all the way to the cowl?
Old 08-20-09, 08:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by jtrue28
you may need to take the trim off all the way up the back door next to the seat. once you get that piece off you can tap into the wire that runs the dome light trigger. I really have no idea how they installed my lights, but apparently the back doors are a PITA.
agreed, to install the rear sills properly is a pita. it's too bad lexus japan didn't provide install instructions for the rear sills (even if it is in japanese). it would have made things alot easier.

Originally Posted by mackel53
anyone know if that wire runs all the way to the cowl?
which wire are you referring to? the wire connected to the rear courtesy door switch? yes, that wire does run all the way to the front. but you are not looking for a white wire (which is the wire that is connected to the courtesy door switch); that white wire turns pink at the front. good luck searching!

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-20-09 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 08:51 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

k the mod is done.... well not completey rear sills only react to the front doors opening and closing.

not sure exactly how to use the volt meter to find the right pink wire. i blew my fuses (spare too) trying to find it.... argh

hey jtrue28 if you ever get into your cowl and see which pink wire they tapped into post up a pic, anybody for that matter. I bet some ppl are dieing to finish this mod the right way

Also is it a pink wire on both driver and passenger cowls that light up the rear??

Last edited by mackel53; 08-21-09 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 03:58 AM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

so i've done most of the mod now but just have to get the back to work properly and decided to write what i had to do

japan doors sills (4 that light up)

1. had to extend the t-tap wires about a foot longer, to fish them out the CENTER holes of the rocker panel. passenger side is fine to not extend but will be hard to work with little slack.

2. pull rear sill wiring through rocker panel coming out the middle hole in the front rocker panel.

3. for wiring and install i followed the US instructions but i had to switch positive with negative, i guess wiring on the sills are weird.

4. take the wires out of the adapters unless you can fit them through or are not hiding them.

5. "fish" all 4 wires through (2 red 2 black) to the middle hole of the front rocker panel

6. put pins back in adapters and hook up rear adapter and push it in the hold. NOTE: i made note of which positive wire is running to my rear sill, so that when someone finally posts or i figure out with voltmeter where the pink wire i hear so much about is, so i can just re-tap into the right pink wire.

7. push the adapter down and hook up the front sill and before you start putting everything away check to see that it lights up.

and thats really it so far, it really is easy after you realize you have to unhook the adapters and extend the wires to come out the middle hole in the front rocker panel. also where to tap into for the rear.

its just READ, SOLDER, TAP, PLUG, AND PLAY lol

if anybody has this mod done properly plz post anything about the rear power wire except it being pink lol thats how i blew 2 fuses lol i was dumb and tried to trial and error out of fustration.
Old 08-21-09, 10:25 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^ my sills are properly installed coz i had a car audio shop do it for me.
Old 08-21-09, 12:06 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

To make it less pita, just wire the back door sill wires with the front ones. One problem, if you open the back door without open the front, then no lights, I guess.
Old 08-21-09, 12:22 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by scorpio74
To make it less pita, just wire the back door sill wires with the front ones. One problem, if you open the back door without open the front, then no lights, I guess.
that's one way, or wire it to the dome light. but then it's not really a "proper" install.

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com