GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 11:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no matter what it can't be all day... i looked at the instructions and the front won't take more than an hour... i say typical dealership tactics...
Old 06-19-09, 01:04 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no matter what it can't be all day... i looked at the instructions and the front won't take more than an hour... i say typical dealership tactics...
you would think. they just called me, said they need to keep it...make sure the wiring is all good. said they should have it by Monday. absolutely cannot believe this.
Old 06-19-09, 01:14 PM
atc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
you would think. they just called me, said they need to keep it...make sure the wiring is all good. said they should have it by Monday. absolutely cannot believe this.
Apparently they are having difficulty getting this job done. I have the American version (front doors only). It took me a little over an hour to install. I can’t imagine the rears would take more than an hour as well. They did give you a loaner to drive, right?
Old 06-19-09, 01:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, it shouldn't take that long. i bet they couldn't figure out where to tap the power for the rear sills. that is a biatch if you've never done it before.
Old 06-19-09, 01:38 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

yeah, I've got a loaner, but it's just the principle of the whole thing. they quoted me 2 hours, and I had it there by 7:45 AM and they've had all day....and will probably need all day Monday as well. I understand this is probably a part they have never installed, but c'mon...it should be basic schematics which they should have access to. should have taken it to a reputable car stereo shop...they would have had it done before lunch.

kept saying the instructions they have don't match the ones on the website....whatever that means. makes me nervous to think how many wires they've tried to "tap into"...only to be the wrong wire. I can see a lot of electrical problems coming from this. Which is the sole reason I'm letting the dealership do this install....warranty for them screwing it up.
Old 06-19-09, 01:43 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

yeah, I've got a loaner, but it's just the principle of the whole thing. they quoted me 2 hours, and I had it there by 7:45 AM and they've had all day....and will probably need all day Monday as well. I understand this is probably a part they have never installed, but c'mon...it should be basic schematics which they should have access to. should have taken it to a reputable car stereo shop...they would have had it done before lunch.

kept saying the instructions they have don't match the ones on the website....whatever that means. makes me nervous to think how many wires they've tried to "tap into"...only to be the wrong wire. I can see a lot of electrical problems coming from this. Which is the sole reason I'm letting the dealership do this install....warranty for them screwing it up.
you actually had wiring instructions (front & rear) when you bought your jdm lexus sills? because when i bought mine from carson toyota, it never came with installation instructions.

afik, us wiring instructions for usdm lexus sills are for the front only. IF the lexus dealership is trying to install jdm lexus sills by using usdm wiring instructions (ie: follow lexus install procedures), they will be SOL.
Old 06-19-09, 02:01 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

no, there were no instructions...just a pamphlet that was 100% in Japanese.

I have no idea what website they are referring to. I assume some sort of Lexus Technician website...however, from my previous posts...they have ignored the word "Japan" everytime we talk about this install, so they're probably looking at the USDM instructions.

Guess their "technicians" don't work on Saturdays...even though their service hours state otherwise.
Old 06-19-09, 05:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the installation instruction is the same (at least i think) for both the jdm or usdm spec for the front. i have studied it before, it's very straight forward.

the rear is the challenging one coz' there is no such thing as illuminated rear sills for usdm cars. that's why they have ZERO instructions to follow. it's back to guessing game but there are only so many wires. even if i give them 1 min to test one wire....

oh well, i hope get it done right monday!
Old 06-19-09, 06:22 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just run the wire to the front one and solder/connect them together. Its not that far of a run and it will be with the wire loom so no one will ever see them. its what I would do...
Old 06-19-09, 06:54 PM
atc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
just run the wire to the front one and solder/connect them together. Its not that far of a run and it will be with the wire loom so no one will ever see them. its what I would do...
That will not activate the respective the sill light when you open the rear door.
Old 06-19-09, 07:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by atc1
That will not activate the respective the sill light when you open the rear door.
There is only one way to wire them up. one door opens it turns the "dome" light or "map" lights on (whatever you want to call them). This is what activates them so yes it will work...they just all are on once one door is open but no one will ever see or know. You can also turn them all off with the interior light switch up by the moonroof. . These are not PNP even if you just have them on the front. I installed them on my car (fronts only).

If someone has a way to wire to each door please advise
Old 06-20-09, 10:32 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
There is only one way to wire them up. one door opens it turns the "dome" light or "map" lights on (whatever you want to call them). This is what activates them so yes it will work...they just all are on once one door is open but no one will ever see or know. You can also turn them all off with the interior light switch up by the moonroof. . These are not PNP even if you just have them on the front. I installed them on my car (fronts only).

If someone has a way to wire to each door please advise
my rear door sills are installed properly (ie: the right sill will light up when you open the right rear door, left rear sill will not light up). as rominl mentioned, this is a challege because there are so many wires.

in order to do this mod "properly", you need a voltmeter and 2 guys...1 guy to push the rear courtesy door switch while the 2nd guy tests the wires with a voltmeter. this is the only way to do the rear sills properly. and as i have mentioned above, check for all pink wires in the front. this should reduce your wire check by a huge margin.
Old 06-22-09, 11:24 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

so it's 2:21pm EDT on Monday....still haven't really received any further updates. I called at 10am to check on it and they said "they're basically installed, we're just working on some wiring issues. want to make sure we do it right." I'm fine with that, but chees n rice...should it take going on 2 days to install a couple of lights???? I'm waiting for the 4 o' clock phone call to tell me that they're going to need it a couple more days. I think I'll absolutely go ape-****, because I honestly don't think they're really working on the problem full steam....just whenever there's down time between oil changes.
Old 06-22-09, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so it's 2:21pm EDT on Monday....still haven't really received any further updates. I called at 10am to check on it and they said "they're basically installed, we're just working on some wiring issues. want to make sure we do it right." I'm fine with that, but chees n rice...should it take going on 2 days to install a couple of lights???? I'm waiting for the 4 o' clock phone call to tell me that they're going to need it a couple more days. I think I'll absolutely go ape-****, because I honestly don't think they're really working on the problem full steam....just whenever there's down time between oil changes.
lol i love how they say they are installed but working on wiring issues. i mean, for crying out loud, the ONLY thing they really have to "work on" is wiring since the beginning
Old 06-22-09, 12:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

using my best impersonation of dr. mccoy: "damn it jim! i'm a lexus mechanic, not a wiring engineer!"

if lexus mechanics don't know how to install without lexus instructions (and there are none for the rear sills), they are SOL. unless they bring in a car audio tech or someone who knows how to troubleshoot wiring problems, your car will need a few more days.

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com