GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 11:10 AM
justbeingm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio

I have a 2007 GS350. I have the shark-fin antenna. I want to know if it is worth the money to have the dealership connect the XM radio? Can some suggest an aftermarket product that will work just as well. I tried my 2007 MB 230 and I had installed XM radio myself.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Old 11-29-07, 12:10 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Do a search. There was a thread just a week or two ago that explained the options, cost and difficulty of installing.
Old 11-29-07, 12:15 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by justbeingm
I have a 2007 GS350. I have the shark-fin antenna. I want to know if it is worth the money to have the dealership connect the XM radio? Can some suggest an aftermarket product that will work just as well. I tried my 2007 MB 230 and I had installed XM radio myself.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Welcome to CL Keith! I purchased my XM module from Sewell Lexus and had my local dealer install it. A lot of people have installed it themselves but I didn't trust my ability to do it correctly.

Here is the link to the instructions:
http://www.sewellparts.net/gs350xm7.pdf

There is a wealth of knowledge on the forums regarding this subject:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288790
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=satellite
Old 11-29-07, 04:27 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

keep ur MB C230... probably has better quality.
Old 11-29-07, 05:02 PM
wickedfn4u
Driver School Candidate

Just put mine in last night. 07 GS350 awd that was XM "ready" well that just meant it had the button and the antenna. I followed up with our Lexus dealer in Bellevue WA and they wanted 1200 to install the receiver. SO I did what everyone suggested went to Sewell (Lexus-Parts.com) and bought it. I actually ordered it off ebay though for cheaper 269 vs 299 on their site. I asked if it was plug and play some laughed or said not even. Well I am here to tell you it is, well ok uncarpet the trunk (real easy) plug in, zip tie and recarpet and that is it. Took me 1 hr to put in, the insturctions off their site is real detailed and easy to follow.
Old 11-29-07, 05:35 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most definitely a DIY on the XM install if you have the sharkfin

wickedfn4u-
Glad you got the $269 price from Sewell via ebay. In case you did not know, CL members get a 10% discount at Sewell online which would make the XM kit $269 directly as well. Maybe it's time to renegotiate the CL discount since they offer it to any old ebay member too Next time you need parts/access from them, enter code CL911M upon check out.

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 11-29-07 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 07:56 PM
wickedfn4u
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Burg did not know...now I do!
Old 11-30-07, 11:43 AM
justbeingm
Driver School Candidate

Default XM radio

Originally Posted by KayGee
Welcome to CL Keith! I purchased my XM module from Sewell Lexus and had my local dealer install it. A lot of people have installed it themselves but I didn't trust my ability to do it correctly.

Here is the link to the instructions:
http://www.sewellparts.net/gs350xm7.pdf

There is a wealth of knowledge on the forums regarding this subject:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288790
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=satellite

Thanks for the info....
Old 11-30-07, 11:44 AM
justbeingm
Driver School Candidate

Default Xm

Originally Posted by AlBoston
keep ur MB C230... probably has better quality.
To late.. Traded the MB C230 Sport...

I am much happier with the GS350....
Old 11-30-07, 12:13 PM
justbeingm
Driver School Candidate

Default xm radio

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Most definitely a DIY on the XM install if you have the sharkfin

wickedfn4u-
Glad you got the $269 price from Sewell via ebay. In case you did not know, CL members get a 10% discount at Sewell online which would make the XM kit $269 directly as well. Maybe it's time to renegotiate the CL discount since they offer it to any old ebay member too Next time you need parts/access from them, enter code CL911M upon check out.

Thanks...

I am gonna follow your advice. I got a quote from a local stereo install shop of 400 plus tax. I like to do things myself. I will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.

Keith
Old 11-30-07, 01:44 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

good call on DIY

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing to screw up - it's all really simple plug n play and 2 bolts in pre-drilled holes. The "trickiest" part is removing the one white trunk liner clip. Only tricky b/c it's different than most the others. If you do break it, it's still not a big deal (don't ask me how I know ) b/c it can easily be remedied w/ a different $0.50 clip from Pep Boys.

Anyhow, hindsight tells me it comes out easily by pushing down on the barbs from the backside. The instructions only give you a clue to "use caution when removing white clip" - or something like that. All the other clips are flexible but this one is rigid plastic and will snap if not released properly.

Enjoy and take pride in saving not only the $400+ install but also in picking it up for $269 vs dealer retail of $480. Net savings = $610 which, I might add, you should promptly spend on other fun toys for your GS
Old 12-01-07, 05:22 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

So the install is the same on the 350 and the 300 correct?
Old 12-01-07, 05:33 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Godfather
So the install is the same on the 350 and the 300 correct?
I'll second that Question... has anyone tried doing it on a 06 GS300? I know there's not shark fin...but if I ran the antenna myself to the trunk-lid... is the rest of it the same? BTW I have the ML... if that matters in answering the Q.
Old 12-01-07, 07:46 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

I'd certainly presume the tuner box, wire harnes (sans antenna), and amp connection installs are the exact same. All you'll need to do different is run an antenna to either the rear shelf or trunk lid. However, the part listed on the Sewell site shows discontinued and no install instructions are not listed. Just shoot Darrel Diller from Sewell an email - he'll know for sure and can guide/get you what you need:

DDiller@SEWELL.com
Old 12-01-07, 09:28 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
I'd certainly presume the tuner box, wire harnes (sans antenna), and amp connection installs are the exact same. All you'll need to do different is run an antenna to either the rear shelf or trunk lid. However, the part listed on the Sewell site shows discontinued and no install instructions are not listed. Just shoot Darrel Diller from Sewell an email - he'll know for sure and can guide/get you what you need:

DDiller@SEWELL.com
Thanks...I just fired off an email to him! I'll post his answer.

Quick Reply: XM radio