GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Special Order GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 03:48 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Order GS

If one were to special order a Lexus GS 350 from the factory is it possible to order a different interior than usual with the exterior?

For example, a friend of mine wanted a GS in Smokey Granite Mica with either the Cashmere or Alabaster leather (from LS 460). The Smokey Granite does not come standard from the factory with either Cashmere or Alabaster as an option. His dealer told him the answer was "no" as all GS cars come as stated on the website. Is this true?
Old 11-29-07, 03:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

You can only special order what is available on the GS' color pallete. So lets say for example you really like an exterior color and interior color from another Lexus model i.e. LS or etc, unfortunately the dealer is correct. You can only special order options or specific color combinations that are not already on the dealership's manifest.
Old 11-29-07, 04:15 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

What flip said...
Old 11-29-07, 05:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i concur with flipside too
Old 11-29-07, 07:01 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i concur with flipside too
Does that mean you can't special order Smokey Granite Mica with Cashmere?
The website shows Cashmere as an avail. interior color for the GS but not with Granite Mica.
Old 11-29-07, 07:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you can try your zip code, but using mine, with smoky granite, interior has to be either blk or grey. so in that case, i don't think you can get cashmere (just like what you said)
Old 11-30-07, 12:38 PM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by Valueguy
The website shows Cashmere as an avail. interior color for the GS but not with Granite Mica.
Right, if it says cashmere is not available with granite mica then dealer won't be able to order it for you.

You can only special order as lexus.com allows you to configure.
Old 11-30-07, 02:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Valueguy
You can only order interior colors that are available for each color. All 3 interior color choices are not available on all exterior paint colors.
Old 11-30-07, 03:00 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
You can only order interior colors that are available for each color. All 3 interior color choices are not available on all exterior paint colors.
That is correct!
Old 11-30-07, 06:12 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

I've seen so many conflicting things on this I have no idea what is real anymore.

For example, on the Lexus site you can build:
- 07 IS Opaline with Cashmere (color discontinued for 08)
- 08 IS GFM with Cashmere
- 08 LS Opaline with Cashmere

But you cannot build:
- 07 GS GFM with Cashmere (color discontinued for 08)
- 08 GS Opaline with Cashmere

In both cases, some dealers have said 'Oh yeah, no prob, we can order it for you', while others say 'No way, it's not possible'. WTF. Seriously? WTF. Why does Lexus not even offer with these combos on the GS when it blatantly and readily does so on other models. This issue, and all the misinformation that comes with it, has and continues to infuriate me to no end.
Old 11-30-07, 06:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spiralynth
I've seen so many conflicting things on this I have no idea what is real anymore.

For example, on the Lexus site you can build:
- 07 IS Opaline with Cashmere (color discontinued for 08)
- 08 IS GFM with Cashmere
- 08 LS Opaline with Cashmere

But you cannot build:
- 07 GS GFM with Cashmere (color discontinued for 08)
- 08 GS Opaline with Cashmere

In both cases, some dealers have said 'Oh yeah, no prob, we can order it for you', while others say 'No way, it's not possible'. WTF. Seriously? WTF. Why does Lexus not even offer with these combos on the GS when it blatantly and readily does so on other models. This issue, and all the misinformation that comes with it, has and continues to infuriate me to no end.
you are judging the statements by dealership? that says a lot. bottom line, have we seen one? that's the benchmark

the issue of customizations have been covered so many times. it's just what it is. it's lexus way of reducing cost (things could be more streamlined), so be it. mb and bmw let you customize all the way, and you pay the premium
Old 11-30-07, 07:22 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
you are judging the statements by dealership? that says a lot. bottom line, have we seen one? that's the benchmark

the issue of customizations have been covered so many times. it's just what it is. it's lexus way of reducing cost (things could be more streamlined), so be it. mb and bmw let you customize all the way, and you pay the premium
No, not just dealerships, but also by what is being said in this and other threads on this. For example, some in this post say yes, some say no. Some dealers say yes, some say no. The Lexus website says yes on some models, no on others.

If not the dealers -- who have the ordering power and who represent the company -- then whom? Seriously. Whom? I'm open to suggestions. And no - I've never seen, anywhere, a GS GFM or Opaline with Cashmere, despite the fact that some -- posters and dealers -- say it can be done, while others -- posters and dealers -- staunchly say it can't.

For over an entire year, I've wanted a simple answer: Can I/Could I special order a GS GFM/Opaline with Cashmere? Lexus, and its 'representatives', aka dealers, can't give me a straight answer.

NO ONE CAN.
Old 11-30-07, 07:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Hate to say it, but we on CL have a lot more knowledge about Lexus than many of the salespeople that sell them for a living. Sad but true.

If the brochure lists the color combinations, you can get it, if not, you can order it. Just because it's available on a different model doesn't mean you can order it that way for the GS. Simple as that.
Old 11-30-07, 07:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Here's a page off the 2008 GS Brochure on color combinations:

http://www.lexus.com/images/ebrochur...GS_Page_17.pdf

Opaline Pearl is only available with Black and Light Gray interior ONLY.
Old 11-30-07, 08:00 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

Yeah, that's what I've always thought flipside. Thanks for the links.

Btw, a little more history on this, this past summer I spoke to over 10 dealers in different states over the GFM/Cashmere issue on the GS. A vast majority told me that it could not be special ordered, while a few assured me it could. One even took my deposit for a special order, then refunded it to me a month later stating that it couldn't be done, but only because he'd just learned that no more GFMs were being produced, and that the color had been discontinued. I personally never fully believed that explanation, but gave them the benefit of the doubt as I'd verified that GFM was indeed being discounted, and that his explanation was plausible.

I had dropped the matter since and now that discussions and pictures of the Opaline have resurfaced (and I like the color from what I've seen), I plan on resuming the issue, though I'm sure the story is/will be the same conflicted one as the GFM was.

And upon second reading of post in THIS thread, everyone is consistent in saying it cannot be done, but it was in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=296164
and I'm sure others, where there was conflicting info amongst posters. And of course the dealers have been consistently inconsistent.

We'll see if the previous dealer can come through with this or change his tune. I'll hold the belief that it can't be done with this model ... while the IS and LS get their way.

Last edited by spiralynth; 11-30-07 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Special Order GS