GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

pjonkheer, I must agree with you. Overall, the Germans do make a tighter car, less rattles. Lexus was one of the few Japanese car manufacturer that used to make solid cars. As we all know, Lexus quality is sliping recently. The TL on the other hand, always had rattles.
The big advantage the Japanese cars use to have is relaibility and the German car's advantage is suspension and power train. In recent years, both parties are starting to catch up to each other, I guess its very hard to keep a industirial secert these days. The German cars have been much more reliable and the Japanese cars are starting to put out some decent HP engines. Athough the Japanese still makes better car electronics and the Germans still make a better car chassis and suspension.
Old 12-09-08, 08:31 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
pjonkheer, I must agree with you. Overall, the Germans do make a tighter car, less rattles. Lexus was one of the few Japanese car manufacturer that used to make solid cars. As we all know, Lexus quality is sliping recently. The TL on the other hand, always had rattles.
The big advantage the Japanese cars use to have is relaibility and the German car's advantage is suspension and power train. In recent years, both parties are starting to catch up to each other, I guess its very hard to keep a industirial secert these days. The German cars have been much more reliable and the Japanese cars are starting to put out some decent HP engines. Athough the Japanese still makes better car electronics and the Germans still make a better car chassis and suspension.
Well said. With all that said, it's nearly impossible to find that "perfect" car. I would love an E-Class but the electronics stink. I love the GS but the brakes, engine and chassis are not so great. Oh well... I love my GS and will continue to love it for years to come. Just need to fix these annoying noises inside the cabin!
Old 12-09-08, 07:55 PM
MassGS
Driver School Candidate

I have mostly been away from the board since getting my '08 in July, but now I know winter has come because the dash rattle everyone warned me about has arrived. Mine is more of a creaking sound, like styrofoam rubbing as has been said, or for you nautical types, a sailboat hull as it flexes over the waves (not a good mental image for a car). I am approaching 5k/first service and haven't decided yet if it's worth having them open up the dash and maybe creating more issues - mine isn't that bad, but the really cold weather is still ahead.
Old 12-09-08, 08:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, lexus has become a big embarrassment in the rattles department in the past 3 years.

it's like they spent no R&D money on it...

i'm surprised they didn't even catch this during testing. i'm sure japan can get pretty cold in the winter in some places ?.....

that said, i'd rather have rattles than electronics failure.
too bad you can't have the cake and eat it too.
Old 12-09-08, 08:33 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ I agreee
Old 12-09-08, 08:36 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is a solution

Old 12-09-08, 10:12 PM
bigalexus
Rookie

Just got my car back from the dealership today as they spent a day and a half on doing an oil change and fixing the rattles on the dash and creaking from the windshield. Test drove it and i was suprised the noise was gone from the center dash to the windshield....but now there is one slight rattle coming from the passenger side door, that will be the next place they will insulate when i take it back. But overall i am very happy that the issue is and can be resolved.

Oh yeah they gave me an 08 ES loaner with 11 k miles there were no rattles while driving it, and it was a nice lighter ride, very roomy but after getting my GS back i am happy i choose the GS over the ES
Old 12-10-08, 03:03 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

im picking mine up tonight for the same problem. they actually insulated my whole dash for me and they said my drivers side speaker was cracked so they ordered 3 new speakers for me for the dash. someone on my other car forum who works at the lexus dealer i went to, took a pic for me of the dash

apparently its the white clips up by the windshield that create all the noise.
Old 12-10-08, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think Lexus really need to go back to the basics here, they need to built a soild car before they worry about anything else. Afterall, isnt that what buying a Lexus is all about, built quality.
Old 12-10-08, 05:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

no matter what you do though there is always going to be something wrong with a car. you can mass produce a car that is 100% perfect.
Old 12-10-08, 07:46 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

They should have fixed this for the 08's at least.

Ridiculous. Those stupid clips I can see being the problem
Old 12-10-08, 08:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, the GS is already into its 4th year of production and its still not fix. Either Lexus dont care about the GS's customer base or the problem is much hard to fix than it seems.
Old 12-10-08, 08:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

true since it is in thr 4th year of this model, you would think they would of taken a look at it but it might cost more for them to redesign it then it would to actually just fix the problem when people complain.
Old 12-10-08, 09:23 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
im picking mine up tonight for the same problem. they actually insulated my whole dash for me and they said my drivers side speaker was cracked so they ordered 3 new speakers for me for the dash. someone on my other car forum who works at the lexus dealer i went to, took a pic for me of the dash

apparently its the white clips up by the windshield that create all the noise.

that is a scary picture.

i didn't know replacing clips was that involved.

it looks like a mess. i wonder if they'd lose some pieces putting it back together.
Old 12-10-08, 10:01 AM
daudbros
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard same noise isse gs300-2007

Simply could not resist posting my own frustration...any idea who can knock LEXUS R & D department and ask them to find a fix....There must be some one who can communicate in Janpanese language..right..??

Quick Reply: Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......