GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 11:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that is a scary picture.
it looks like a mess. i wonder if they'd lose some pieces putting it back together.
They may not lose any piece putting it back together, but I bet most of the time they have extra parts left over and they dont know where it belongs

I say that as a joke but when they took my dash apart, it stay quiet for a while but a few months later, 2 new rattles developed on the dash.
Old 12-10-08, 11:55 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I just had my car returned to me from North Park lexus in San Antonio. I had it being services for the TSB on the brakes, and a rattling dash.

They fixed both problems. My car no longer rattles and squeaks. I'm very happy.

Apparently they put felt in the consol, dash, between the navigation and the dash, and in the pillars.

Very happy
The following users liked this post:
SnF2023 (10-20-23)
Old 12-10-08, 02:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
They may not lose any piece putting it back together, but I bet most of the time they have extra parts left over and they dont know where it belongs

I say that as a joke but when they took my dash apart, it stay quiet for a while but a few months later, 2 new rattles developed on the dash.

i see rattles as a standard feature nowadays.

out of curiosity, i googled rattles again, and the new C class merc has a bunch of rattles too. even audi has them on its 4 and 6 series.

i am not as picky as i used to be.

right now, what pisses me off is the potentially failing simple mechanics on the mirrors and trunk

Last edited by dunnojack; 12-10-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 02:36 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE

Lexus just called to tell me they are keeping the car over night to see if it rattles again tomorrow after the fixes they applied.

I must say I am impressed they are going to these lengths to fix my rattles and creaks. More to come...
Old 12-11-08, 03:16 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i picked mine up after taking it in for the rattles and i dont hear a damn thing anymore. i made sure to test it out on some roads on the way home and i cant hear anything. now i hope when they go to replace the speakers in a few days that it doesnt come back
Old 12-11-08, 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

i see rattles as a standard feature nowadays.

out of curiosity, i googled rattles again, and the new C class merc has a bunch of rattles too. even audi has them on its 4 and 6 series.

i am not as picky as i used to be.
Rattles as a standard feature, thats a good one. The 1 st year redesign of the last gen C class had some rattle problem, but it was necver as wide spread as the GS and MB actuall fix it from the factory, unlike Lexus. The Audi 4 and 6 are as tight as a drum, I frequent those forums quite a bit.

Hey, as long as you are not picky and can accept the rattles. I for one cannot, especially in a brand new $50000 car.
Old 12-11-08, 07:12 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Rattles as a standard feature, thats a good one. The 1 st year redesign of the last gen C class had some rattle problem, but it was necver as wide spread as the GS and MB actuall fix it from the factory, unlike Lexus. The Audi 4 and 6 are as tight as a drum, I frequent those forums quite a bit.

Hey, as long as you are not picky and can accept the rattles. I for one cannot, especially in a brand new $50000 car.
Also, the first gen Audi S5 is tight as a drum as well. Totally new car and design and it's perfect.
Old 12-11-08, 03:38 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
UPDATE

Lexus just called to tell me they are keeping the car over night to see if it rattles again tomorrow after the fixes they applied.

I must say I am impressed they are going to these lengths to fix my rattles and creaks. More to come...
No word from my dealer today. I guess the rattles/creaks flared up again! More to come...
Old 12-11-08, 03:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
No word from my dealer today. I guess the rattles/creaks flared up again! More to come...
this is the reason i won't take my car in for rattles until several thousand miles before warranty is up.

they rip apart the dash, find some leftover rattles the next day, then rip apart the dash again, and again x1.
Old 12-11-08, 03:57 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

this is the reason i won't take my car in for rattles until several thousand miles before warranty is up.

they rip apart the dash, find some leftover rattles the next day, then rip apart the dash again, and again x1.
Ha! Good point. At the rate this GS is going I will not have it for several thousand miles.
Old 12-11-08, 05:26 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys... I think I may have the dreaded dash rattle. It's usually pretty warm in Houston, but it got cold the last few days, even had a freak snowfall (happens about once every 5 years).

Anyway, the noise I'm hearing sounds like two marbles hitting each other and it's coming from behind the nav screen approximately. Is that it??
Old 12-12-08, 03:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

it happens all over the dash really and it can sound like 2 marbles or like styrofoam rubbing together.
Old 12-12-08, 05:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I am wondering if the real problem is chassis rigidity, is that lexus cant fix it? I use to get the dash squeak everytime I enter my drive way fast. Thats when the chassis kind of twist, that may be causing the whole dash, the AC vents and the nav unit to shift enough so it squeaks against the surrounding material.
Old 12-12-08, 07:16 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

I am wondering if the real problem is chassis rigidity, is that lexus cant fix it? I use to get the dash squeak everytime I enter my drive way fast. Thats when the chassis kind of twist, that may be causing the whole dash, the AC vents and the nav unit to shift enough so it squeaks against the surrounding material.
Exactly. When I drive up or down the levels in my parking garage the weight of the car is shifted and that is when I hear the squeaks. The rattles come over bumps in the road. What a shame.
Old 12-12-08, 08:47 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

The sound it makes is the sound of your dashboard being a piece of garbage. It sounds so incredibly amateur... embarrassing.. Like something you'd hear in a Buick Skyhawk, not a lexus.

Quick Reply: Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......