GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07GS450h traded for a 08RRSupercharged??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 07:16 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is definitely a SICK whip...
Old 12-03-07, 07:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Man, RR's are one of the few SUV's that I love (not much of a truck fan). There are times when a vehicle just speaks to you. I know reliability is not there (kinda scary actually considering the price), but honestly to me Range Rovers are all about the emotional buy instead of the rational/well thought out buy (Lexus).

That Range Rover posted on the first page is a prime example. Its drop dead gorgeous and when considering one, reliability just isn't on top of the list anymore.

Last edited by GFerg; 12-03-07 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 07:56 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Man, RR's are one of the few SUV's that I love (not much of a truck fan). There are times when a vehicle just speaks to you. I know reliability is not there (kinda scary actually considering the price), but honestly to me Range Rovers are all about the emotional buy instead of the rational/well thought out buy (Lexus).

That Range Rover posted on the first page is a prime example. Its drop dead gorgeous and I honestly would have to look past reliability just to be in one.
You're absolutely right. The purchasing decision was more of a "I have to have this" vs. "Are you sure this is a smart idea?". Honestly for me, as long as the vehicle is under warranty, I dont' care how much I have to take it in. All LR owners drive LR3's as loaners so I don't mind driving a loaner for a weekend

The RRS isn't really THAT bad. Yes, the earlier model fullsizes and other (freelander...yikes!) have had a lot of issues. However, speaking from experience, the Sport (so far) has been pretty good to me.

Btw, if anyone is thinking about purchasing a RRS or want to know more about it, check out this forum. It's the only one really out there.

Edwin
Old 12-04-07, 10:23 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SADDLE
that is definitely a SICK whip...
Definitely agree.
Old 12-04-07, 10:45 AM
LexFather

Oh dear that RRS looks SUPERB!!! One of the biggest selling points, IMO, classy, classic RR looks.
Old 12-04-07, 02:39 PM
MELODY7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks
Range > Gs

Durability
Gs > Range

Price
Gs > Range

Fuel
Gs > Range

Women
Range = Gs

Winner
Gs By Unanimous Decision
Old 12-04-07, 02:48 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NO WAY will a GS pull women like a Range man....not even close!

No offense but you have no clue what you are talking about. You pull up in a range AND YOU WILL GET NOTICED. NO IF ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT. CASE CLOSED. Pulling up in a GS at best MAY GET YOU NOTICED.

True story- While waiting on valet to bring us our cars where a friend's wife's white RRS is pulled up along with a new IS and a G35 coupe. Everyone in our group begins to talk about the Range and move towards it to check it out. Dude who's tagging along who had just met the friend who owns the RRS immediately asks, "damn who's range is that?". I tell him and he's like "damn, they rich!". I'm like why do you think that? He's like, "You're rich if youre driving a range rover"! Trust me, that is the only vehicle where the driver and passenger were getting stared at while walking up to and into their vehicle. The GIRLS took notice!
Old 12-04-07, 02:57 PM
MELODY7
Driver

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
NO WAY will a GS pull women like a Range man....not even close!

No offense but you have no clue what you are talking about. You pull up in a range AND YOU WILL GET NOTICED. NO IF ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT. CASE CLOSED. Pulling up in a GS at best MAY GET YOU NOTICED.

True story- While waiting on valet to bring us our cars where a friend's wife's white RRS is pulled up along with a new IS and a G35 coupe. Everyone in our group begins to talk about the Range and move towards it to check it out. Dude who's tagging along who had just met the friend who owns the RRS immediately asks, "damn who's range is that?". I tell him and he's like "damn, they rich!". I'm like why do you think that? He's like, "You're rich if youre driving a range rover"! Trust me, that is the only vehicle where the driver and passenger were getting stared at while walking up to and into their vehicle. The GIRLS took notice!
WELL I STATED THAT THE RANGE DOES LOOK BETTER THAN THE GS. BUT LETS SAY YOU PICK UP A CHICK IN BOTH CARS, THE OUTCOME OF THE DATE WILL BE THE SAME BECAUSE THEY ARE BOTH LUXERY CARS.
Old 12-04-07, 03:47 PM
r0ng5
Driver School Candidate

I work at a dealership that sells Land Rovers and I have to say, people get really close/nice with their service advisors because they see them so much! With that said, I think the RR Sport is a VERY nice car, especially the RRSportSC. The leather/interior is very nice and they are sticker, if not marked-up, vehicles.

I've sat in/been driven around in an 08 GS and the ride is very nice. you won't get that ride in a RR, but it can forge an insane amount of water! (i guess, if you need to)

IMHO, don't trade it in for the RRSportSC. But if you want/need an SUV, then that's the SUV to get (amount a few others)
Old 12-06-07, 09:16 AM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GFerg
There are times when a vehicle just speaks to you. I know reliability is not there (kinda scary actually considering the price), but honestly to me Range Rovers are all about the emotional buy instead of the rational/well thought out buy (Lexus).
Absolutely! Saw my first RRS on the back of a car carrier being delivered, and couldn't wait to get into the office to get on the internet to find out what it was.

A few months later, I finally had the time to walk into a dealership and did the impulse buy that first night. Now, it was meant to be a second car, so I had no qualms about doing so. Had it been my front-line transport, I don't know that I would have done so!
Old 12-06-07, 11:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Keep the GS. You will thank us later.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-06-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 12:25 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Why trade the GS, why not trade in the GX - makes more sense to me. Do you really want 2 suvs as daily drivers ? Keep the GS, replace the GX with the RRS, and have the best of both worlds . . .
Old 12-07-07, 09:33 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

the GX is my wifes, and the GS trade is mine. SHe loves her GX and wouldn't trade it for the world. This is a personal decision, not a marriage decision.

I want a car feel, cornering, lux options, and superb everything, just with the room and ofroad capabilities (winter driving) of a 4X4.

Still torn.

FOr now I am not making a decision, I will keep the 450h for the months ahead and re-do this thinking at a later time.
Old 12-15-07, 11:03 AM
kilikay
Driver School Candidate

I have had 9 (yes, 9) Range Rovers including the Range Rover Sport SUpercharged, Range Rover Sport Limited Edition Supercharged, the Range Rover Full Size HSE, the Range Rover Full Size SUpercharged.. And I will say that there is no feeling like driving a Range.. IT has a commanding presence and definitely says "you've arrived" when you pull up. It's addicting, because once you start buying them you can only drive the Range as an SUV! However, the GS has it's own appeal, at least in hybrid form.. And in terms of the "girls" thing... Chicks LOVE environmentally friendly cars. A few women I know have thought of trading in their 3-series convertibles or Range Rovers for Prius's! Either way you can't go wrong, they are both great cars with difference personalities. The Range is the ultimate SUV, and the GS450h is the ultimate mid-size sedan IMO... (other than the E63 or M5, but that's a different class).

But it is not even debatable, but should just be taken for fact that when you drive a range rover, automatically there is a stigma that you're rich (and people will look). There are very few cars which have styling that is loved by both men, women, young and old, the range rover is one of those vehicles and that is amazing in itself.
Old 12-15-07, 11:05 AM
kilikay
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and i forgot the other part of this story.. After driving 9 range rovers in 3 years (with not a single problem on ANY of them), I might be trading in my Range Rover Sport SUpercharged LE for a GS450h.. Why you ask? I don't ski/snowboard locally that much anymore, and the ride comfort and luxury of the hybrid Lexus still outdoes the RRS, and even if it doesn't pull as many women, well... that's what my Ferrari is for :-)

Quick Reply: 07GS450h traded for a 08RRSupercharged??