GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07GS450h traded for a 08RRSupercharged??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 09:24 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 07GS450h traded for a 08RRSupercharged??

Do you think I would be happy or disappointed if I traded my 07GS450h in for a 08RangeRoverSport Supercharged?

I love the car feel/ride. Breaking power and cornering feel.

The range rover has the active suspension as well so it helps in cornering. I have driven the exact LR I want, but I am just asking those who have owned or know of friends who have owned...

I want to know about seat comfort over longer drives, electrical usage ease, nav ease, voice commands, DVD based? equivalent DVD hack like my GS450h?
NAV display, ex.

I know they are coming out with a 500hp next year to compete with the PorscheS, but I am not sure I want that or want to pay that $$$.

Give me your thoughts.

(I don't need a new/different car, I am just in the thinking about one stage at the moment).
Old 12-03-07, 09:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i had a friend who owned a range rover before. he couldn't wait to get out of it coz' the quality was so bad, things pretty much fell off or failed to work left and right. i don't know about their quality now but i remember their quality ratings used to be pretty low
Old 12-03-07, 09:36 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

From what I have heard the RRSport is their "new" car. New engine, new build, new platform.
Completely different in quality from the current RR or any previous RR. I don't know this to be true, just what I have heard.
But yes I have heard about their "maint" problems, but I have heard the new RRSPORT is it's own vehicle and not nearly any problems like it's other LR's.
Old 12-03-07, 09:38 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Range Rover is consistantly at the bottom of the JD Powers ranking for reliability. Why a Range Rover? If you want sporty, high performance SUV try a Cayanne S or a Mercedes ML55. They won't be as reliable as your Lexus, but are worlds ahead of the Range Rover.
Steve
Old 12-03-07, 09:44 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I have steered away from those, b/c I don't really like the outside looks.
I will keep all in mind though, not really sure yet.
Old 12-03-07, 09:45 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rrsupercharged is amzing
Old 12-03-07, 09:45 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Not sure if you know this already, but it rides on an air bag suspension. From what I have heard is that something goes wrong and the suspension malfunctions and it goes to the lowest setting which basically sits on the tires. Its gotta get towed back to LR to be repaired.

When I was sitting in the car at the auto show, it seemed cheap compared to the 3GS. Might be fast or whatever, but I bet it drinks gas like nothing.

Maybe I am bias against domestic cars.
Old 12-03-07, 09:47 AM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by Jace7
From what I have heard the RRSport is their "new" car. New engine, new build, new platform.
Which doesn't necessarly mean "new" found long term reliablity.
Quality of material might be improved with newly designed model but the long term reliability and resale value doesn't happen over night with new model. Last time I checked, they were dead last in JD initial quality survey. I know they are working hard to long way to to climb up the ladder.
Old 12-03-07, 09:51 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be fully aware of this:

It's not that Land Rover is dead last, is that it is dead last with a huge margin, and being a new car, they yet have to start ironing the kinks...
Also Land Rover (and Jag) are up for sale... Ford wants to unload them, so there are a lot of unknown attached to theses brands.
Old 12-03-07, 10:03 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timeToy
You must be fully aware of this:
It's not that Land Rover is dead last, is that it is dead last with a huge margin, and being a new car, they yet have to start ironing the kinks...
Also Land Rover (and Jag) are up for sale... Ford wants to unload them, so there are a lot of unknown attached to theses brands.
Yah, I would avoid it like the plague.
Old 12-03-07, 11:12 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jace: I have a similar decision to make...either buy a GS or a RRS HSE. I understand everything that everyone above said but you and I both know with all that said...the thing is a RANGE ROVER. The truck gets looks everywhere it goes and from what I have learned thus far, while the vehicle may be problem prone, the owners are happy because it rides so well.

Also, it would be fully warrantied. There's just nothing like a Range Rover. The thing is just SICK. It's truly a tough decision...with enough money I would like to have both. I'm not too worried about gas mileage...you gotta pay to play.
Old 12-03-07, 11:24 AM
Kosmos
Rookie

2 buddies of mine drive RRS HSE and a friend of mine works at a RR dealership. if you're leasing it and close to a dealership...get in one.
its a different feeling and ride compared to a GS.....
you'll be content for awhile and then you'll have another itch to change....
I have to agree that quality looks cheap and seats not as comfortable and prone to problems....
Old 12-03-07, 11:27 AM
LexFather

RR Supercharged in name only. I mean its stylish, its nice and well a RR but the perforamnce is dismal. An SRT8 Cherokee for instance demolishes it.

I like the RR Sport but it really doesn't add up outside you like its looks and like the RR image.
Old 12-03-07, 04:33 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Default $0.02 worth...

Doing the exact opposite, almost. Trading my 2-year old RRS HSE for a GS460. I bought the RRS as an additional toy for my 2003 GS300 and have driven it very little, just because I love my Lexus so much...

Depends what you are looking for and expecting ~ they are two totally different vehicles. I like the sportiness of the Lexus on the freeway and around town. What I mean is, I drive the Lexus at speeds and in maneuvers that I wouldn't try in the RRS. I just don't feel safe doing so in the taller, heavier vehicle and I don't get the everyday enjoyment out of it.

However, when I took the RRS to Mammoth, it did things the Lexus could not. I just don't ski enough to warrant a second car anymore, and I wouldn't drive the RRS as my everyday car. It's good on the open road, but nowhere near as nice as the Lexus. Gas mileage is poor around town, as you would expect. On the road, it does better, but...

It is not as plush or luxurious and the ride just beats the hell out of you. Workmanship and quality is a tad lacking, and I've had a few minor things that needed to be attended to already. The dealership I purchased from absolutely sucks service-wise, and they have failed twice to fix a safety related recall that was issued on mine.

This will be my third Lexus, and I really see little reason to buy any other car right now...
Old 12-03-07, 06:49 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 06 RRS HSE and the seat comfort is nice. I'm sure it's not a nice as a Lexus and doesn't have it's reliability/durability but people that buy Land Rover don't buy it for those factors (sadly). I bought mine knowing there are little quirks that will go wrong on a $65k truck but I went into it expecting it. If not...those things will drive you crazy.

Here's mine... I have to say it's the most "fun" SUV you can buy

Edwin

Quick Reply: 07GS450h traded for a 08RRSupercharged??