GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Advice on Color

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 06:59 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Color

I was hoping to get my GS 350 next week. The dealer informed me that if I want NAV and ML (which I do) then I must wait for my color choice of Black Sapphire with Cashmere (my first choice is the LS 460 combo of Granite/Alabaster) or take a Starfire White with Cashmere now.

I can compromise and get one now without ML in my color but I want the better stereo.
The wait for my color choice is about 30-60 days. I don't mind white but like the "uniqueness" of black sapphire. Will the Black Sapphire be high upkeep like Obsidian or does the "metallic" help with hiding swirl marks?

If I was going to lease then I wouldn't wait for Black Sapphire; but, I am going to purchase so I can add the Tanabe Springs and 19" wheels like Bobbyt01nc.

I like the GFM better than Starfire and the new opaline is too purple for my taste. But, GFM not avail. with Casmere and that is my interior of choice (behind alabaster).

THis club has been extremely helpful in my purchase decision. My last car was E430 Sport and this will be my first Lexus.

As a side note my 2005 4 Runner Limited has been flawless. 41,000 miles and not one single issue and not one rattle. Yes, the handling and power could be improved but the quality is first rate.
Old 12-04-07, 07:05 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Have you seem the Ash leather in person yet? I have it and absolutely love it... rather I have it in my car.

Anyways, with most deep dark colors whether its black, dark blue or dark green swirl marks are very hard to hide at time. Now if you take car of your paint and do a really good detail then the paint can really shine and swirl marks can be hidden. Check out the Meguiars website, they have a lot of info and products to work on your car.
Old 12-04-07, 07:11 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Have you seem the Ash leather in person yet? I have it and absolutely love it... rather I have it in my car.

Anyways, with most deep dark colors whether its black, dark blue or dark green swirl marks are very hard to hide at time. Now if you take car of your paint and do a really good detail then the paint can really shine and swirl marks can be hidden. Check out the Meguiars website, they have a lot of info and products to work on your car.

My last car had ash leather interior so I want a change. I was going to use Zaino on the Black Sapphire as I have heard it is the best product for maint. a nice shine on dark cars.
Old 12-04-07, 07:15 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

I like the Black Sapphire but I am not sure I can handle the upkeep. My 4 Runner is black and it shows scratches much easier than white or silver. That said, it looks great when clean.

In my areas white cars are very common especially a White Lexus. Of course, my GS 350 would get the 19" wheels and lowered springs.
Old 12-04-07, 08:03 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, there is nothing better then ZAINO for a car. But not matter how great the shine, you'll still need to at least use a California Duster daily to keep the car in good appearance. In the past I have had silver, light blue and white cars. My GS is SGM and although its many coats of Zaino bring out the color, after just a day a film of dust, shmootz and the like make keeping the car a chore to stay clean daily.

Color choice?!?! I will go back to silver as it was the easiest color to maintain. After the initial "doesn't my Zaino-applied dark color car look great" feeling wears off, you may hit yourself on the forehead and say "I should have gotten a lighter color car".

Bottom line: Get the color combo you like best and accept the responsibility of maintaining the car to your satisfaction.
Old 12-04-07, 09:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I love my ash interior or for 2008 light gray interior for the fact that it has the black birds eye maple....or for the updated revised name, gray birds eye maple.
Old 12-04-07, 10:53 AM
noobs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Bottom line: Get the color combo you like best and accept the responsibility of maintaining the car to your satisfaction.
Agree with that. I just picked up that color combo, Black Sapphire and Cashmere with ML on Friday. Had to wait an extra 3 weeks for it. Red, White and Black were available. I almost took a different color, but I'm glad I waited. The other clors are nice, but I had owned black and silver a few times before an dam not a big white fan.

The Black Sapphire is a two for one color. In flat or low light it looks like pearl black. It brighter light it looks liek very dark blue. In bright sun the metallic flakes really sparkle and it blue shows through.
Old 12-05-07, 05:23 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

WAIT...for that much money you should get EXACTALLY what you want. Otherwise, the entire time you own the car, you'll probably be wishing you had. The 30-60 days will go fast...