GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS 430 - new rotors @ 30k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 12:09 PM
kmwreale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 06 GS 430 - new rotors @ 30k?

I took my car in today to have my mechanic look at the brakes and confirmed that I needed to get new pads in the front, but also told me that due to the brakes that lexus puts on their cars now...I will need new rotors and probably will need to get a new set of rotors everytime I get new brake pads becuase the pads eat into the rotors and leaves a lip?!? Now, I am fully aware that I needed new brake pads...almost 30k, I can accept that, but new rotors? Has anyone else had this issue? I went to the dealership and had them take a look at the brakes and rotors and said that they would be able to machine my rotors down, but that would put them right at minimum spec (I had my mechanic show me and of course the dealership didn't tell me that). Just wanted to reach out to see if anyone else had heard of this happening. Any insight would be helpful...thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-06-07, 12:13 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yikes, are you in stop and go traffic a lot???

new rotors at 30k sounds kind of unusual but if both places say that...

I remember replacing rotors at around 40k on one of the cars I had before though.
Old 12-06-07, 12:23 PM
kmwreale
Driver School Candidate

I am not really in alot of stop and go traffic, but I did buy the car used about 10,000 miles ago. The dealership said they would be able to machine down my rotors, but I am not sure how they would be able to do that and still be driving a safe car. They are just over minumum spec now and if they machine them down, it would put them right at minimum spec so 3 months down the road, I would be below spec My mechanic isn't comfortable with machining them down due to the fact that they would be unsafe soon. GGGRRR!!!!!
Old 12-06-07, 12:30 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmwreale
I am not really in alot of stop and go traffic, but I did buy the car used about 10,000 miles ago. The dealership said they would be able to machine down my rotors, but I am not sure how they would be able to do that and still be driving a safe car. They are just over minumum spec now and if they machine them down, it would put them right at minimum spec so 3 months down the road, I would be below spec My mechanic isn't comfortable with machining them down due to the fact that they would be unsafe soon. GGGRRR!!!!!
I have an 06 GS300 with 35k on it that is in need of having my rotors machined. The Lexus dealer didn't mention being unable to do it because of making it too close to 'low spec'. They did say it would cost me close to $300 per axle.

Do you mind me asking how much the Lexus dealer vs. your mechanic ...are asking for the job? Or asking to replace them all together?
Old 12-06-07, 12:40 PM
kmwreale
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic is telling me that he needs to replace the rotors because they will be below minimum spec thickness (which is 27) by the time that it leaves his shop and that it will be unsafe to drive around with it any less. They quoted me around $500 to replace rotors and pads with standard lexus parts. The dealership is telling me that the # on the rotors (27) is the number that the rotor has to be, after machining them, in order to put them back on the car and that they will be able to do that (not sure why the dealership can do that and my mechanic cannot). They quoted me around $270 to replace the pads and machine the rotors. I am not sure who to believe or what to do as these brakes do eat into the rotors...i just dont know what truely that number is for on the rotors...is that the discard # (when they should be replaced) or the # that is allowable to put back on the car and safe to drive around in until your next brake service when they will need to be replaced because there is no more machining them. Sorry to be so ignorant, but I do not know cars and it frustrates me to have people telling me two different things
Old 12-06-07, 12:52 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmwreale
My mechanic is telling me that he needs to replace the rotors because they will be below minimum spec thickness (which is 27) by the time that it leaves his shop and that it will be unsafe to drive around with it any less. They quoted me around $500 to replace rotors and pads with standard lexus parts. The dealership is telling me that the # on the rotors (27) is the number that the rotor has to be, after machining them, in order to put them back on the car and that they will be able to do that (not sure why the dealership can do that and my mechanic cannot). They quoted me around $270 to replace the pads and machine the rotors. I am not sure who to believe or what to do as these brakes do eat into the rotors...i just dont know what truely that number is for on the rotors...is that the discard # (when they should be replaced) or the # that is allowable to put back on the car and safe to drive around in until your next brake service when they will need to be replaced because there is no more machining them. Sorry to be so ignorant, but I do not know cars and it frustrates me to have people telling me two different things

At the risk of being flamed for saying this... I often take my car to Sears for things like brakes...tires...advice. They don't seem to work on any sort of commission or have secondary gain for doing work I don't need done. On two seperate occations I've had them tell me I didn't need something done, when someone else said I did. Every place is different... but you may want to take it to your local Sears, and get a third opinion... a tie breaker! You could always buy the pads you want...or Rotors...and just have them install if you want to stick with OEM.

As for that 'sounding right'. I don't know... my old 1st Gen GS never needed Rotors replaced...and I sold it with over 100K. But this third Gen is WAYYY different .. some good ways, some bad.
Old 12-06-07, 06:34 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The gs300 and gs430 had completely different brake pads, rotors and calipers. The gs430 and 350 share similar setups. It is normal to machine the rotors with each brake pad replacement for proper seating and maximum performance. I would let the dealer resurface and if they are too thin ask them nicely to replace for free, since they should be able to turn the rotors at least once. My 06gs300 has 42k miles on original pads and they are not close to being worn, at least 40% and they have never needed resurfacing due to warpage.
Old 12-06-07, 06:48 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our 06 GS has 21K miles and looks like it has a ways to go before needing brake work. This is my wife's car and she is finally listening to my teachings. On her last car, the ES300, that thing needed brake pads every year. Never needed new rotors though. Now my wife has learned to carefully and evenly apply the brakes. No nose diving unless necessary, which is rare if you're paying attention.
My old SC300 never needed rotors in 6 years of ownership.
A lot has to do with driving style.
Old 12-06-07, 07:15 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So let's say you're on the brakers longer but softer, would that extend the life compared to being on the brakes shorter but harder?
Old 12-07-07, 12:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The least time you're on the brakes, the longer the lifespan. If you do more freeway driving than city or short trips, your brake pads will last long.

Just for reference, I did alot of freeway driving on my 04 IS300 (Bought new August 2003 and got rid of it in August 2007 with 105k miles). The front brake pads lasted me to 90k miles it's first replacement. The rotors were turned too. Ironically, the rear pads were changed out at about 70k miles. Go figure.
Old 12-07-07, 12:54 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So foot pressure on the brakes don't even matter?
Old 12-07-07, 01:48 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesca
So foot pressure on the brakes don't even matter?
Nope. If you're one who rides the brake pedal going downhill or in traffic, you will have increased wear no matter how much brake pedal pressure you put down.
Old 12-07-07, 03:45 PM
Kosmos
Rookie

my mother's first car was a manual...she got use to driving with both feet on a pedal

now, her left foot brakes and her right foot accelerates.....
she has a tendency to ride the brakes as she slowly accelerates....>??

we change brake pads every 10k-15k
Old 12-07-07, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Nope. If you're one who rides the brake pedal going downhill or in traffic, you will have increased wear no matter how much brake pedal pressure you put down.
well it matters if you brake a lot and you brake abruptly...

if you come to the stop smoothly, then its fine.
Old 12-08-07, 08:57 AM
silver2000
Rookie

The minimum specs are designed as the limit that the rotors can be turned to
NOT the safe limit.

The subsequent wear would HAVE TO have been figured into the minimum spec. In other words you can turn them down to X and still have safety margin left knowing that the pads will cause more wear

Quick Reply: 06 GS 430 - new rotors @ 30k?