GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got money for some rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 07:55 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really just want stock rims. I dont want to bling it out too much. The GS430 rims I really like a lot, and I figure it will be much cheaper to get them then some aftermarket wheels. The question is, where can I get them brand new and for a good price
Old 12-12-07, 02:13 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the stock rims too and not planning on changing them. Regardless how other people say, you need to stick with your original thought. You are the one who look at your car everyday, not others. Try eBay, classified CL forum, Craig's list, etc you might find a decent deal if you are not in a big rush. Good luck.
Old 12-13-07, 11:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you want oem wheels but I thought would mention anyway that I'm selling mine for 2K......just in case!
Old 12-13-07, 12:14 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Reggie which ones?
Old 12-13-07, 12:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by whlkev
this is exactly why I put history as a consideration, we all know BBS is world renown for having a long racing history, then you know you are getting a quality rims. Cheapo rims are prone to bends, most likely much heavier and easier for color to fade/chip.

WORK rims for example has been around since 1977, and new management took over HRE in early 2000 if i remember correctly.

DPE, I personally know all the owners for DPE, they have come a long way since they started, we were all BMW buddies. but they only started a few years ago.

There are also custom rims like iForged who is notorious for copying styles from HRE (no offense to those that owns it)

Rims, while not hard to make, does take time to perfect and long history of R&D usually will give you a more quality rims. For example, for 2/3 pc rims, the groove inside the rims often collect rain waters and cause the vehicle to vibrate at high speed, I believed HRE had then solved this problem.

All I am saying is, before you spend x amount of money on anything, you should at least do some research, just like before buying a car. See what other owners are saying about the quality because TRUST me, there is a huge difference.

I've had BBS LMs, HRE 448r and Work VS-XX on my bimmer, there are of course advantages for having 2pc or 3pc rims or cast/forged rims. If you often encounter pot holes, i would suggest a strong forged rims like BBS LMs, it's built like a rock.

Common sense plays a huge role here too, why are there rims that cost 2000 EACH for 19" and then there is a 20" set from another company you can get for 2000 TOTAL.

my rims for reference:

BBS LMs - Made in Germany, 2pc forged, lightest/strongest of the 3, good for track - $4500 w/ tires

HRE 448r - Custom Made in USA, 3pc forged, blingest of the 3, good for looks - $5000 w/ tires

WORK VS-XX - Custom made in Japan, 3pc cast, heaviest, best bang for the bucks - $3500 w/ tires

sorry for the long post but it seriously comes down to what you are looking for in rims and a LOT of consideration should go into it, after all, it's your life you are riding on.
That was beautiful......

Companies throw "forged" around today like its some sort of free **** pass....
Old 12-13-07, 02:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
Reggie which ones?
The set on the car.
Old 12-13-07, 07:04 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA looks like there are a lot of rookies on this sub forum. with wheels you get what you pay for. If I paid $2000 for 20" with tires, I gotta be out of my mind.
Old 12-13-07, 08:50 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

^^ agreed, decent tires on 18s can cost 800-1000, on 20s alot more, I would hate to buy a rim / tire combo that will make your car ride horribly.
Old 12-13-07, 10:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
this is exactly why I put history as a consideration, we all know BBS is world renown for having a long racing history, then you know you are getting a quality rims. Cheapo rims are prone to bends, most likely much heavier and easier for color to fade/chip.

WORK rims for example has been around since 1977, and new management took over HRE in early 2000 if i remember correctly.

DPE, I personally know all the owners for DPE, they have come a long way since they started, we were all BMW buddies. but they only started a few years ago.

There are also custom rims like iForged who is notorious for copying styles from HRE (no offense to those that owns it)

Rims, while not hard to make, does take time to perfect and long history of R&D usually will give you a more quality rims. For example, for 2/3 pc rims, the groove inside the rims often collect rain waters and cause the vehicle to vibrate at high speed, I believed HRE had then solved this problem.

All I am saying is, before you spend x amount of money on anything, you should at least do some research, just like before buying a car. See what other owners are saying about the quality because TRUST me, there is a huge difference.

I've had BBS LMs, HRE 448r and Work VS-XX on my bimmer, there are of course advantages for having 2pc or 3pc rims or cast/forged rims. If you often encounter pot holes, i would suggest a strong forged rims like BBS LMs, it's built like a rock.

Common sense plays a huge role here too, why are there rims that cost 2000 EACH for 19" and then there is a 20" set from another company you can get for 2000 TOTAL.

my rims for reference:

BBS LMs - Made in Germany, 2pc forged, lightest/strongest of the 3, good for track - $4500 w/ tires

HRE 448r - Custom Made in USA, 3pc forged, blingest of the 3, good for looks - $5000 w/ tires

WORK VS-XX - Custom made in Japan, 3pc cast, heaviest, best bang for the bucks - $3500 w/ tires

sorry for the long post but it seriously comes down to what you are looking for in rims and a LOT of consideration should go into it, after all, it's your life you are riding on.
Well said. You get what you pay for. Cheap rims don't last.

Yum-O!!! BBS LM and Work VS-XX.
Old 12-17-07, 05:32 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

This is tougher then I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, my bonus got Taxed, and all I've got left is $1600. Do you guys think its possible for me to get rims and tires with that kind of money? I really just want the stock GS430 rims. I currently have the stock 17" and would be willing to sell those for some extra doe if I had too, but I planned on using those all winter to keep the nice ones for summer.

Jesus why are things so expensive
Old 12-18-07, 10:30 AM
phattbam
Lead Lap

See if anyone is willing to do a trade.