GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got money for some rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 01:05 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got money for some rims

Hey all..

I finally got some doe for rims for my black gs350 (o7 version).

Anyway, I want the rims that come standard on the GS Hyrbrid. I'd like to get them in chrome too if possible.

My question to you is.. Where can I buy said rims? And once I get said rims, what about tires? And lastly, where can I bring my car to have it all installed? I've got about 3 grand to spend here. Can I order the rims and tires to my house and just bring it to my Lexus dealer to do? Im sure I could bring it to any old tire shop but I dont want them to screw up the sensors or anything.

Tia!
Old 12-10-07, 01:22 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you buy them directly from dealers, i guarantee you it will cost more than 3k not to mention it won't come chrome.

you should seriously consider after market rims to your liking considering how much you are willing to pay.

if you are dead set on OEM rims, I would suggest you buying them used from members who are selling their 450h rims, if any.

*rather pointless to blow 3k on OEM rims, just IMO.
Old 12-10-07, 02:05 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Hmmm yeah. I figured ID could get the 430 rims for like $800, and then get tires too for like another 1000 and then have it all installed.

I never see aftermarket rims for very cheap. They're all like $3000 without tires even
Old 12-10-07, 02:40 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

aftermarket rims depend on too many things to determine cost

make, history, size, cast/forged, customs or not, 1/2/3 pc

there are cheapo chrome 20" rims for 2000 with tires or you can go with like US Made Custom HRE 19' for $2000/rim or $8000/set without tires

all depends...
Old 12-10-07, 02:41 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Look in the classifieds. I saw some Avus wheels for low $2k shipped. 20" all chrome.

Gotta keep looking for deals. I got a real good deal on my custom set that is being built for me. Its going to cost around 3k with everything including sensors and all. alignment is going to be around 3 bills more.
Old 12-10-07, 02:47 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whlkev
aftermarket rims depend on too many things to determine cost

make, history, size, cast/forged, customs or not, 1/2/3 pc

there are cheapo chrome 20" rims for 2000 with tires or you can go with like US Made Custom HRE 19' for $2000/rim or $8000/set without tires

all depends...

There are so many manufacturers put there how do you know which ones are good? For example, a rim by DPE which is fully custom costs twice as much as one by Vossen. The DPE is a three piece, forged rim while the Vossen is a one piece. They look very similar and both fit the GS. Which one is the better value. The Vossen is made in Taiwan so it is not as good as the DPE but is it good enough? Another example is the MMR wheels. They are "inexpensive" wheels and have styles similar to mult-piece rims coating 2-3 times as much.

Opinions?
Old 12-10-07, 03:48 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Valueguy
There are so many manufacturers put there how do you know which ones are good? For example, a rim by DPE which is fully custom costs twice as much as one by Vossen. The DPE is a three piece, forged rim while the Vossen is a one piece. They look very similar and both fit the GS. Which one is the better value. The Vossen is made in Taiwan so it is not as good as the DPE but is it good enough? Another example is the MMR wheels. They are "inexpensive" wheels and have styles similar to mult-piece rims coating 2-3 times as much.

Opinions?
this is exactly why I put history as a consideration, we all know BBS is world renown for having a long racing history, then you know you are getting a quality rims. Cheapo rims are prone to bends, most likely much heavier and easier for color to fade/chip.

WORK rims for example has been around since 1977, and new management took over HRE in early 2000 if i remember correctly.

DPE, I personally know all the owners for DPE, they have come a long way since they started, we were all BMW buddies. but they only started a few years ago.

There are also custom rims like iForged who is notorious for copying styles from HRE (no offense to those that owns it)

Rims, while not hard to make, does take time to perfect and long history of R&D usually will give you a more quality rims. For example, for 2/3 pc rims, the groove inside the rims often collect rain waters and cause the vehicle to vibrate at high speed, I believed HRE had then solved this problem.

All I am saying is, before you spend x amount of money on anything, you should at least do some research, just like before buying a car. See what other owners are saying about the quality because TRUST me, there is a huge difference.

I've had BBS LMs, HRE 448r and Work VS-XX on my bimmer, there are of course advantages for having 2pc or 3pc rims or cast/forged rims. If you often encounter pot holes, i would suggest a strong forged rims like BBS LMs, it's built like a rock.

Common sense plays a huge role here too, why are there rims that cost 2000 EACH for 19" and then there is a 20" set from another company you can get for 2000 TOTAL.

my rims for reference:

BBS LMs - Made in Germany, 2pc forged, lightest/strongest of the 3, good for track - $4500 w/ tires

HRE 448r - Custom Made in USA, 3pc forged, blingest of the 3, good for looks - $5000 w/ tires

WORK VS-XX - Custom made in Japan, 3pc cast, heaviest, best bang for the bucks - $3500 w/ tires

sorry for the long post but it seriously comes down to what you are looking for in rims and a LOT of consideration should go into it, after all, it's your life you are riding on.
Old 12-10-07, 04:36 PM
MELODY7
Driver

I would definitely not spend over 2k on rims & tires. Here in miami you can get brand new 20's with tires under 2k. I wouldn't take it to the lexus dealership to get it installed either because they might trip and void your warranty if something happens to the car after the rims are put on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-10-07, 04:45 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MELODY7
I would definitely not spend over 2k on rims & tires. Here in miami you can get brand new 20's with tires under 2k. I wouldn't take it to the lexus dealership to get it installed either because they might trip and void your warranty if something happens to the car after the rims are put on. Just my 2 cents.
They won't void your car because you have wheels. If you drop it then it might be another story, but they can't void the whole thing.

Some people are willing to spend more because they have the money or they have a hook up. Me, I got lucky... get a new set 3 piece set for dirt cheap (compared to what they are new retail.) Also, I've been playing with cars for a long time, so I'll admit, I'm a lil emo when it comes to car and making them look better.
Old 12-10-07, 05:27 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get a set of used Work Varianza T1-S for around 3k w/ Tires but not chrome.. I know someone selling them... (Not mine)
Old 12-10-07, 05:38 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a set of Gs430 chrome rims in the classifieds still....new set
Old 12-11-07, 08:06 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

EkeKutr.. I am going to contact you now.

BTW guys.. check out this site: http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

you can choose wheels and it will show you how the car looks with them. I dont like any of them unfortunately.
Old 12-11-07, 03:02 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bozer, you got a PM !
Old 12-11-07, 07:58 PM
akim47
Driver

i know a guy selling 20" triple chrome work rezax for under $3Gs...
Old 12-12-07, 07:33 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
this is exactly why I put history as a consideration, we all know BBS is world renown for having a long racing history, then you know you are getting a quality rims. Cheapo rims are prone to bends, most likely much heavier and easier for color to fade/chip.

WORK rims for example has been around since 1977, and new management took over HRE in early 2000 if i remember correctly.

DPE, I personally know all the owners for DPE, they have come a long way since they started, we were all BMW buddies. but they only started a few years ago.

There are also custom rims like iForged who is notorious for copying styles from HRE (no offense to those that owns it)

Rims, while not hard to make, does take time to perfect and long history of R&D usually will give you a more quality rims. For example, for 2/3 pc rims, the groove inside the rims often collect rain waters and cause the vehicle to vibrate at high speed, I believed HRE had then solved this problem.

All I am saying is, before you spend x amount of money on anything, you should at least do some research, just like before buying a car. See what other owners are saying about the quality because TRUST me, there is a huge difference.

I've had BBS LMs, HRE 448r and Work VS-XX on my bimmer, there are of course advantages for having 2pc or 3pc rims or cast/forged rims. If you often encounter pot holes, i would suggest a strong forged rims like BBS LMs, it's built like a rock.

Common sense plays a huge role here too, why are there rims that cost 2000 EACH for 19" and then there is a 20" set from another company you can get for 2000 TOTAL.

my rims for reference:

BBS LMs - Made in Germany, 2pc forged, lightest/strongest of the 3, good for track - $4500 w/ tires

HRE 448r - Custom Made in USA, 3pc forged, blingest of the 3, good for looks - $5000 w/ tires

WORK VS-XX - Custom made in Japan, 3pc cast, heaviest, best bang for the bucks - $3500 w/ tires

sorry for the long post but it seriously comes down to what you are looking for in rims and a LOT of consideration should go into it, after all, it's your life you are riding on.

There is always ZONE/// which is a great wheel maker 2 check them out

www.zonewheels.com

Quick Reply: Got money for some rims