GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 09:19 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BmoreGS4
I think you should give it a lil while longer b4 you give it the "VERY Disappointing!" rating somethings you have 2 get adjusted to.
I'm really hoping my rating changes, but I wanted to share my impressions thus far, which was exactly how I expressed them, as honest as I could be.

On our last 3 brand new cars, my 98 GS300, my wife's 98 Sienna and her 01 Sienna, all of which I drove/drive a lot, my very first impressions were very much like my impressions today -- comfortable to drive from the first day. Ditto for the other things I mentioned.

I will be giving my 3GS a lot longer, so I am hoping that unlike my 2GS, which took no getting used to whatsoever, this 3GS will eventually grow on me as far as how comfortable it is. I do *love* the 3GS looks and gadgets.

Maybe it will be like a shoe analogy. Maybe my last 3 pairs of shoes all looked great and were comfortable to walk in from the beginning. My newest pair looks great but is not comfortable to walk on at first at all. But after going through a painful stage, my feet will eventually adapt and the shoes will be broken in. I sure hope so.
Old 12-16-07, 09:53 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you, I would have test drove others cars and gone with the car that best suited me. Why come on here after the fact?
Old 12-16-07, 10:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

why do you think that GS has plastic steering wheel? It has leather, of course.
Old 12-16-07, 10:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Leather and real wood (not plastic coated).
Old 12-16-07, 11:16 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Leather and real wood (not plastic coated).
It is a highly polished wood which FEELS like plastic. Leather has been used on steering wheels for a long time because it has a natural give and is nicer to hold. I think I'm going to get used to not having the leather. The seat is another issue.
Old 12-16-07, 11:19 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fujifuzz
If I were you, I would have test drove others cars and gone with the car that best suited me. Why come on here after the fact?

I did drive several but driving a car for 10-15 minutes a couple of times with a stranger with you is not at all like driving the car on your own for long periods of time.

I "came here" because this is where owners share their experiences. This is what the site is designed for. This isn't supposed to be a fanboy site where we all say nothing but good things and all nod our heads in agreement. (And, for the record, please note that I said I l*love* the 3GS's looks, gadgets and power.)

Last edited by steverhode; 12-16-07 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have been thinking since i read this thread yesterday. i can see why you are disappointed about some stuff on the 3gs, since i came from 2gs as well and i felt the same on some. however i am just surprised that you come disappointed NOW after you spent 50k on a car?

the money is yours so power to you, but wouldn't you do more homework and test drives before you sign the paperwork? and it's not like small items like "how to adjust the driver side head rest", all the items you stated are big items on the car that 10 mins on lexus.com or edmunds.com, or 10 mins test drive would easily reveal.

1) i could tell the seats are much harder (in a sporty way) than the 2gs, that was when i sat in the 3gs for the first time. you had your gs for 10 yrs, that should be very obvious

2) interior room as well, it was almost an immediate feeling that the 3gs is smaller. it's so obvious that the head room is quite a bit smaller than before. my wife and my friend with 2gs said the same thing right the way

3) you should get a better test drive route where you get a chance to see all the roads and also the blind spots

4) again, get a better route. just a test drive on a silky smooth road won't tell you much. after my test drive my first impression was the ride is a lot stiffer than the 2gs, handling is far better

again, all the above items should be obvious from first visit and test drive. maybe this time a good experience for better future purchase. i would be pissed at myself if i buy a car and become disappointed in the way you are
Old 12-16-07, 03:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by steverhode
It is a highly polished wood which FEELS like plastic. Leather has been used on steering wheels for a long time because it has a natural give and is nicer to hold. I think I'm going to get used to not having the leather. The seat is another issue.
welcome to 2007 back in 1998 wood steering wheel was rare, these days, wood wheels on luxury cars is almost automatic
Old 12-16-07, 04:01 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a 2GS and only sat in one a few times so can't really comment on that. I agree that there could be more cushioning for the seats but so far it hasn't been that bad that my thighs start cramping. Hope you like your 3GS more though.
Old 12-16-07, 04:56 PM
LexFather

I've pretty much sat in every Lexus and Ryan and Henry might have as well. I find these to be the best Lexus seats
1. IS-F
2. SC 300/400
3. IS 300

The 2GS seats, IMO are okay (though I'm a big guy) but compared to others, leave a lot to be desired. The 3GS seat IMO is a better seat, better support and it feels more expensive.
Old 12-16-07, 05:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the seats on the 2gs are actually below average imho. i like the 3gs seats more. i hate to say, but the 2gs seats aren't really that soft, and the lateral support is next to none (especially for a sport sedan)
Old 12-16-07, 07:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've pretty much sat in every Lexus and Ryan and Henry might have as well. I find these to be the best Lexus seats
1. IS-F
2. SC 300/400
3. IS 300

The 2GS seats, IMO are okay (though I'm a big guy) but compared to others, leave a lot to be desired. The 3GS seat IMO is a better seat, better support and it feels more expensive.
I will have to agree with you somewhat. But I'll put the IS300 seats above the SC300/400 and the IS-F on top of all of them. Call me IS biased.

As for the 2GS seating, they are okay, I feel the seat cushion themselves whether new or already worn it wasn't too comfortable. Perhaps i'm used to the nice hugging feel of the seats in the IS and other sport models. Along with the ventilated and heated option, the 3GS seats have been great for me.
Old 12-16-07, 08:20 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
the seats on the 2gs are actually below average imho. i like the 3gs seats more. i hate to say, but the 2gs seats aren't really that soft, and the lateral support is next to none (especially for a sport sedan)
In some ways comfort is in the eye of the beholder. Take mattresses. I like a soft mattress, but others prefer a very firm one, saying it gives them more support. Hard mattresses to me are like laying on a board, which would provide support but would be awful uncomfortable for me.

I fully and naively expected that all changes Lexus would make from the 2GS to the 3GS would be improvements. I did not expect significant regressions in any area. So, while test driving the 3GS, I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about things I already liked on the 2GS -- like the seats, etc. Too much is going in a couple of test drives to dwell on everything. I thought about a lot of stuff. I didn't think a lot about the seats, for example. I didn't think I needed to.

I'm assuming that I'll eventually be able to ignore the 3GS problems. Maybe, like the very hard mattress analogy above, I'll grow to view the hardness of the seats as good for me.

As I said, I *love* the car's looks, gadgets and power. These are some of the things that got me excited about the new car in the first place. I am very disappointed only -- and for me this is a big "ONLY" -- because I did not expect that driving it would prove uncomfortable.

My guess is that by a few months from now, I'll learn to live with the car's problems, which I still think are significant even if most of you don't, and will be enjoying the features I love mentioned above. I just did not expect to have to work so hard to love the car. I thought it would come more easily and naturally, since, after all, it is a Lexus.
Old 12-16-07, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i know what you mean, but "improvements" can sometimes be subjective. stuff like more power that's a clear improvement. better gas mileage that's an improvement.

however stuff like seats, that's subjective. you consider it a degrade, which i can understand, but some consider it improvement.
Old 12-17-07, 09:47 AM
made_in_japan
Rookie

SteveRhode,

I just had to smile when I read your post because in my old thread, I had the same disappointing feelings. (Check it out, "Pulled trigger on GS460", something like that) I felt I made the biggest mistake in dishing out all of that money for a vehicle I felt was not even on par with its predecessor..........that is until I got back into the seat of my '98 GS300. That is when I really felt the improvements. After that, I felt the harder "feeling" seats provided more stability. Also, the handling of the vehicle (with OE suspension) is like night and day. Try driving around in the '08 for another 2 weeks then get back into the seat in your old car. I am sure, just as I did, you will feel a bit more comfortable about your purchase.

Hope you get more comfortable with your new ride!

Quick Reply: 2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!