GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 08:23 AM
Redmotors
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why you test drive the car first before you buy. If you don't like the way the 3GS feels (steering wheel, seats, etc.) you don't buy the car. I get a little tired of all of the posts that rag on this awesome machine No car is perfect, you have to have realistic expectations whe you purchase any vehicle.
Old 12-21-07, 02:03 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Redmotors
That is why you test drive the car first before you buy. If you don't like the way the 3GS feels (steering wheel, seats, etc.) you don't buy the car. I get a little tired of all of the posts that rag on this awesome machine No car is perfect, you have to have realistic expectations whe you purchase any vehicle.
Disagree. The same thing happened to me when I picked up my 2GS. I did several test drives and missed a lot of things that really ended up annoying me in the end.

The fact is, unless you can take the car home for a week (and sorry, but they normally don't allow you to do that), you won't find all the nuances of a car that you love/hate during test drives. In my case, I didn't realize/discover some of my issues until a couple of weeks/months later (didn't realize the heated seats sucked until I had to use them).

So I don't buy into this "why didn't you test drive the car". The OP did - and as pointed out there is a sales guy in the car with you the whole time and you just don't get enough time in the car to fully realize all little nuances of a given car.
Old 12-21-07, 02:39 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Disagree. The same thing happened to me when I picked up my 2GS. I did several test drives and missed a lot of things that really ended up annoying me in the end.

The fact is, unless you can take the car home for a week (and sorry, but they normally don't allow you to do that), you won't find all the nuances of a car that you love/hate during test drives. In my case, I didn't realize/discover some of my issues until a couple of weeks/months later (didn't realize the heated seats sucked until I had to use them).

So I don't buy into this "why didn't you test drive the car". The OP did - and as pointed out there is a sales guy in the car with you the whole time and you just don't get enough time in the car to fully realize all little nuances of a given car.
I agree. I test drove the G35 at least 5 times before eventually getting one. I could tell the seat was tight and firm but no way could I imagine it would cause the pain I suffered with that car. My neck and back hurt so much it was misery. I loved driving the car. The quickness, the handling....it was so fun to drive. That darn seat was miserable.
So test drives don't tell the whole story.
Old 12-21-07, 03:08 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I agree. I test drove the G35 at least 5 times before eventually getting one. I could tell the seat was tight and firm but no way could I imagine it would cause the pain I suffered with that car. My neck and back hurt so much it was misery. I loved driving the car. The quickness, the handling....it was so fun to drive. That darn seat was miserable.
So test drives don't tell the whole story.
you still bought a 2nd one??
Old 12-21-07, 04:19 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I owned a 99 GS300 for 8 years. It was the most perfect flawless car I have ever owned. I am curious as to what annoyed you about the 2GS!

I probably will never find in my lifetime a car as perfect as a 2GS!
Old 12-21-07, 04:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Where did you see or hear that?
But I am gonna check out the G37 in a couple years.
Old 12-21-07, 04:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
he said g35....... that's very different from gs300 and gs350

anyway, i guess everyone is different. test drive has been the most important aspect in my car purchase. having 2-3 test drives for me is normal. i usually have a check list with me when i test drive, that's why the repeating visits to go through the missing items.

have yet to buy a car that i have totally unexpected results that threw me off
Old 12-21-07, 08:15 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Where did you see or hear that?
But I am gonna check out the G37 in a couple years.

My bad, i thought you wrote gs350, I should have my eyes checked LOL
Old 12-22-07, 08:04 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I owned a 99 GS300 for 8 years. It was the most perfect flawless car I have ever owned. I am curious as to what annoyed you about the 2GS!

I probably will never find in my lifetime a car as perfect as a 2GS!
Too many things to list (I know there is a thread or two out there with all of my complaints). People on the board would tell you that I'm just a BMW guy at heart and maybe that was the main issue. But in short, I found the GS430 to be a car with a big engine (albeit terrible throttle response) and a suspension that was just dangerous. Oh and I had lots of stupid problems with the car that the dealer could never figure out. I'm pretty sure my old GS was built after killer sake party at the plant manager's house
oh and I hate wood steering wheels
oh and the heated seats were terrible
oh and the seats weren't so good either
oh and the loose steering was just annoying

ok, I'll stop now
Old 12-22-07, 08:44 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

oh and I hate wood steering wheels
oh and the heated seats were terrible
oh and the seats weren't so good either
oh and the loose steering was just annoying

ok, I'll stop now
My 99 GS300 had an All leather steering wheel
My heated seats worked perfectly
My Seats were the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in
My steering was tight

I don't like German cars.
Old 12-22-07, 03:25 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
My 99 GS300 had an All leather steering wheel
My heated seats worked perfectly
My Seats were the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in.
Amen to that.
Old 12-22-07, 03:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i like the wood steering wheel, gives the car a classy look, but both are great looking cars and think of it this way, since your son has the car, you can just it out for a drive when u feel like it lol
Old 12-22-07, 03:34 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmd93
i like the wood steering wheel, gives the car a classy look, but both are great looking cars and think of it this way, since your son has the car, you can just it out for a drive when u feel like it lol
Since the weather here right now is not too cold (so no hurt hands) and not too hot (so no sweaty hands), I am enjoying having the wood since it does look nice.
Old 12-22-07, 09:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steverhode
Since the weather here right now is not too cold (so no hurt hands) and not too hot (so no sweaty hands), I am enjoying having the wood since it does look nice.
I think we have here a fundamental difference between BMW drivers and Lexus drivers.

The Lexus crowd seems to like the "look" of the steering wheel. Never mind the fact that it is less functional.

The BMW crowd (or performance crowd) doesn't care for something that might look nicer but is less functional.

Hmmm, maybe this applies to more than just steering wheels.....
Old 12-23-07, 12:16 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

i can't beleive that you can get a tape deck in a gs but not a heated steering wheel. i loved my 98 gs 400, but after having a german car and test driving the 3gs twice i bought a 545i. a proper car with lots of technology, performance, looks and feedback. i couldn't buy the 3gs cuz it felt like i was driving a camry. lexus dropped the ball on the 3gs. i probably would get an es350 over the gs. it just doesn't compete in its class.

-King Bimmer

Last edited by KINGLEX; 12-23-07 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!