GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 11:00 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no disrespect to steverhode, when I was selling Infiniti's and Lexus, "Heavy Set" guys tend to be less comfortable in the G35 and 3GS seats... It's just the way the seats are designed... hopefully you will grow to love your car, but's it's a great one!!!
Old 01-16-08, 01:31 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
no disrespect to steverhode, when I was selling Infiniti's and Lexus, "Heavy Set" guys tend to be less comfortable in the G35 and 3GS seats... It's just the way the seats are designed... hopefully you will grow to love your car, but's it's a great one!!!
I am a thin guy who weighs 140 pounds.

I actually think, seriously, that if I had more fat on my legs it might well cushion the seats more, as it would put more padding between the hard seats and me.
Old 01-16-08, 02:28 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh that sucks, i have one soulution, get the gs4xxx from 98-05 and call it a day, but you give up the look of new class. And i dont know why everyone has such negative comments on the 2gs seats, on my current 2gs4 i get comments on the commfort of the seats all the time. Friend owns a hummer and a e500 and would trade in those seats for mine?!?!?

Last edited by Oleg400; 01-16-08 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 02:35 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oleg400
Ahh that sucks, i have one soulution, get the gs4xxx from 98-05 and call it a day. And i dont know why everyone has such negative comments on the 2gs seats, on my current 2gs4 i get comments on the commfort of the seats all the time. Friend owns a hummer and a e500 and would trade in those seats for mine?!?!?

I really do love the looks and gadgets on the 3GS, so I am hoping that either the seats will eventually soften up (hope springs eternal but I'm optmistic that it will) or I'll eventually find some adjustment of the seat that makes me comfortable enough.

Most likely, I just learn to live with the pain the 3GS causes and concentrate on what I like about the car, which is a lot.

Still, it's a Lexus and there is no excuse for making such a big regression in seat design from one generation to the next. It is reasonable to expect in a $50K car that all major things should either get better or at least stay roughly the same when going from one generation to the next.
Old 01-16-08, 06:59 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steverhode
I really do love the looks and gadgets on the 3GS, so I am hoping that either the seats will eventually soften up (hope springs eternal but I'm optmistic that it will) or I'll eventually find some adjustment of the seat that makes me comfortable enough.

Most likely, I just learn to live with the pain the 3GS causes and concentrate on what I like about the car, which is a lot.

Still, it's a Lexus and there is no excuse for making such a big regression in seat design from one generation to the next. It is reasonable to expect in a $50K car that all major things should either get better or at least stay roughly the same when going from one generation to the next.
After driving my car for the first time, my son (who is the owner of my old 98 Lexus GS300) said that he really liked my new car but hated the seats because they were so hard. For the record, he had NO idea that I had any problem whatsoever with the seats in the 3GS.
Old 01-16-08, 07:10 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I am a thin guy who weighs 140 pounds.

I actually think, seriously, that if I had more fat on my legs it might well cushion the seats more, as it would put more padding between the hard seats and me.
Well, I'm a thin guy too! - 5' 8" and 150 lbs. and I find the seats quite comfortable. I did own the 99 GS300 and I did prefer those seats, but the 07 GS350 are pretty fine for me.

In fact I picked up the car in N.J. and drove it to Minnesota for 2 1/2 days and 1300 mile road trip and it was very comfortable. I've got 15,000 Miles on mine now, and the seats are very comfortable. And my *** is as flat as they come with no padding at all!

Try out another GS350, maybe yours has something wrong with it. You never know. sit in another at the showroom and see what you think. It won't be the first time that something is wrong with a particular car.
Old 01-16-08, 07:25 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

maybe some sheepskin seat covers would help. i'm pretty sure you can get quality sheep skin seat covers with at least an inch of pile.... i hope you find a way to make the seats more comfortable.
Old 01-16-08, 11:06 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

Try out another GS350, maybe yours has something wrong with it. You never know. sit in another at the showroom and see what you think. It won't be the first time that something is wrong with a particular car.
I actually did that after I bought it. They were all the same
Old 01-16-08, 11:10 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Lack of headroom

After driving my car for the first time, my son (who is the owner of my old 98 Lexus GS300) said that he really liked my new car but hated the seats because they were so hard. For the record, he had NO idea that I had any problem whatsoever with the seats in the 3GS.
My son also said that he had a problem with the lack of headroom. He's only 5'10" which isn't exactly tall. I'm 5'7" and don't have much of a problem with the headroom in the 3GS even though I must admit the 2GS was better in that area.

But my son will not be driving my car much and the headroom isn't really a problem for me. I have no idea, however, how anyone 6' or more could drive a 3GS.
Old 01-17-08, 09:14 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just sat in my car to check after seeing all these headroom problem, are we talking about the front or the back?

the back definitely has some headroom problem but the front, are you kidding me?

i am 6' and my hair goes upward about 2" and doesn't even COME close to touching the roof? how high was your son sitting???

i have a coworker that's close to 6'5" , now that brings it much closer to the roof but that doesn't mean a little bit of seat adjustment can't fix.
Old 01-17-08, 10:15 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
I just sat in my car to check after seeing all these headroom problem, are we talking about the front or the back?

the back definitely has some headroom problem but the front, are you kidding me?

i am 6' and my hair goes upward about 2" and doesn't even COME close to touching the roof? how high was your son sitting???

i have a coworker that's close to 6'5" , now that brings it much closer to the roof but that doesn't mean a little bit of seat adjustment can't fix.
My son had the seat all of the way down and his head/hair while driving was brushing the top of the roof line on the left side where the sun roof indentation starts. Again, this is not a problem for me since I'm 3" shorter (5'7" rather than 5'10").
Old 01-17-08, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i guess it's a problem of how straight up you sit

but regardless, headroom is a complaint from me as well, and i am 5'7".
Old 08-05-11, 07:00 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the same boat, I can't justify any other vehicle vs my 98 GS400, and even if I got a 3GS, I would keep my 2GS. my next car will be the LS430 or 460 for AWD.
Old 08-05-11, 08:11 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airahcaz
In the same boat, I can't justify any other vehicle vs my 98 GS400, and even if I got a 3GS, I would keep my 2GS. my next car will be the LS430 or 460 for AWD.
I also had a 99 GS300. It was flawless! -- Based on that, I bought a GS350 2007 --- Very disappointed as well!

Last year I bought a 2011 Hyundai Genesis with a V8 and 385 h.p. -What a flawless car! Do yourself a favor and test drive one. It has a sportier stiffer ride than the cars you mention, but they now offer a 429 hp.
Old 08-05-11, 09:03 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have never gotten rid of my 01 430! It was paid off, and I wouldn't have had car payments for the last 3 years. If my 01 had Bluetooth, an in-dash disc changer/player, and I would have gotten the NAV it would have been perfect. The driving position was more comfortable, I think it had far less road noise (not to mention rattles), the sub was better, and on and on.

My 07 350 is a piece of crap, and it is always in the shop.

I will probably never own another Lexus after my experience with this one.

Quick Reply: 2GS to 3GS -> VERY Disappointing!