GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Getting annoyed with Low Tire warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 07:42 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Getting annoyed with Low Tire warning

I had my car for over a year, and this obviously happens only during the winter time. Annoys a hell out of me with this warning light indicating TPS sensing low tire pressure. Yes, I check to find in cold (now temperatures are below 30 in here) pressure is around 28 psi, and as soon as I add some air to bring it over 30 psi threshold - the warning goes away. But than 1-2 days later I get it again. Is this just a part of crappy run flat tires? My dealership told me "oh, its typical and expected". I don't buy this. Yes its expected when you have tire pressure on a low side when its warm, and over night it drops below TPS threshold to trigger the warning. Nothing could be done, its physics! But when you inflate your tires when its cold, should it hold without a warning for at least a month? I never have this problem when its warm outside or during the day, which makes me believe my tires are OK. So, has anybody else (East Coast of course) experiencing the same Low Tire warning on a daily basis?
Old 12-17-07, 08:23 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

have you tried inflating to about 32 or 33 psi in the cold ?
Old 12-17-07, 08:26 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the valve stems, sometimes the seal goes bad and it leaks out air. That or you must have a nail in the tires. Does this happen with all of the tires or just one?
Old 12-17-07, 09:16 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

If you are getting repeated low pressure warnings even after inflating the tires at the lower temperature, then something else is going on. Are all the tires losing pressure?
Old 12-17-07, 10:01 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't forget, check the spare too (if you have one)
Old 12-17-07, 10:03 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it seems that all four tires were about 28 psi, and I did inflate it back to 32 psi in the cold. This is just too weird. I might have to check with dealership again. Tires are all fine, no nails... I just wanted to make sure that everyone doesn't experience the same.

oh, and I don't have a spare. Courtesy of retarded runflats
Old 12-17-07, 10:07 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Ask the dealer to replace the runflats with regular tires... how many miles are on the car?
Old 12-17-07, 10:15 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
I had my car for over a year, and this obviously happens only during the winter time. Annoys a hell out of me with this warning light indicating TPS sensing low tire pressure. Yes, I check to find in cold (now temperatures are below 30 in here) pressure is around 28 psi, and as soon as I add some air to bring it over 30 psi threshold - the warning goes away. But than 1-2 days later I get it again. Is this just a part of crappy run flat tires? My dealership told me "oh, its typical and expected". I don't buy this. Yes its expected when you have tire pressure on a low side when its warm, and over night it drops below TPS threshold to trigger the warning. Nothing could be done, its physics! But when you inflate your tires when its cold, should it hold without a warning for at least a month? I never have this problem when its warm outside or during the day, which makes me believe my tires are OK. So, has anybody else (East Coast of course) experiencing the same Low Tire warning on a daily basis?

GET NITROGEN>
your problem will be solved INSTANTLY.

oxygen can adjust 2-4 lbs, nitrogen will adjust maybe .5lbs.

THere's a reason airplane tires ONLY have nitrogen at the altitudes and cold temperatures they fly at.
That will solve your problem completely.
My lexus dealership has filled all my cars with it, put the little green caps on the stems, and away I go.
MUCH more stable!!!
Old 12-17-07, 10:25 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just b/c one has run flats doesn't mean you don't have a spare (but sounds like you already checked). Sorry - sounds like another issue. Good luck and please let us know what the dealer says the issue is.

For others edification, some GS' w/ run-flats did/do come w/ one (like mine and thank goodness b/c I plan on getting rid of them and replacing w/ regular tires when the time comes). Anyhow, if there is a spare, then yes there is (or should be) a sensor for it as well.
Old 12-17-07, 11:39 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
Yes, it seems that all four tires were about 28 psi, and I did inflate it back to 32 psi in the cold. This is just too weird. I might have to check with dealership again. Tires are all fine, no nails... I just wanted to make sure that everyone doesn't experience the same.

oh, and I don't have a spare. Courtesy of retarded runflats
I had a similar problem with my run-flats in that I had repeated TPMS warnings due to one leaking tire. I finally took it in to the dealer and they could not find anything obvious so they remounted the one tire because they claimed the stiff sidewall sometimes did not seat properly on the wheel. Sounded logical to me so they preformed the work and fixed the leak.

For about two weeks.

As luck would have it, two other tires started leaking during that two weeks too. I now had three of the four Dunlop run-flats needing air every other day! With 15,000 miles on the tires, my dealership would only pay for two new tires so I had a set of new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S put on. No problems since, even in this cold which makes me guess they put nitrogen in them because they are never down even one PSI even in cold weather.

Problem solved now going on 4,000 miles. Rides better too.
Old 12-17-07, 11:43 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
just b/c one has run flats doesn't mean you don't have a spare (but sounds like you already checked). Sorry - sounds like another issue. Good luck and please let us know what the dealer says the issue is.

For others edification, some GS' w/ run-flats did/do come w/ one (like mine and thank goodness b/c I plan on getting rid of them and replacing w/ regular tires when the time comes). Anyhow, if there is a spare, then yes there is (or should be) a sensor for it as well.
For a while, they stopped giving people a donut with the AWD/run-flats. I had to get mine from the manager's car. But then another dealership offering me the same car, did come with the spare. It's all weird.
Old 12-17-07, 01:49 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird... Mine's filled with nitrogen but it still came on this winter?
Old 12-17-07, 04:01 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Weird... Mine's filled with nitrogen but it still came on this winter?
very interesting.

I have never had that happen, even when I adjusted the pressure to 33 when it was 100 degrees outside.
I still read 33 and it's -5 degrees outside.

YOu should get that much fluctuation when you have nitrogen. Maybe you have a hole? dunno....
Old 12-17-07, 07:48 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait... Do the 3GS wheels/tires come filled with nitrogen???
Old 12-17-07, 08:18 PM
**FL Lex**
Driver

hmm not that I am aware of....anyone?

Quick Reply: Getting annoyed with Low Tire warning