GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got in an accident, need advice! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 08:20 PM
wikidbwoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a factory oem bumper and fog on ebay. Then i would find a really good body shop other than dealer. The easiest way i found a painter was ask freinds if they knew any good body shops. If your in houston try Richey Rd. collision.
Old 12-24-07, 10:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

There's pros and cons to using aftermarket made in Taiwan or other CAPA certified or non-certified parts.

Pros: Cost effective

Cons: Poor and inconsistent fitment, poor quality materials, may affect resale when reselling the car.

You have a car worth nearly or about $50k, why cut corners? If you really have to save, go with LKQ used parts. At least they are OEM parts. Fitment and quality wont be questionable.
Old 12-24-07, 12:00 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That right headlight looks twisted for certain. it surely doesnt line up with the fender. Take a better look at things when you take off the bumper.
Old 12-25-07, 10:38 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
That looks very minor but that repair will possibly be around 2k or more depending if your headlamps and fogs are damaged or not. I would write you a preliminary estimate if I had my work laptop with me.

R/I RT HEADLAMP ASSY
R/R RT FOGLAMP ASSY
O/H FRONT BUMPER - INC. R&I
R/R FRONT BUMPER COVER W/SENSOR
R/I GRILLE

Plus refinish time, materials and taxable items.
Headlamp works fine and has no visible cracks (needs to be realigned tho). No issues with the foglamp, the flap that it's attached to ripped cleanly without breaking the light. Grille didn't crack at all. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Chris
Old 12-25-07, 10:39 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Originally Posted by cvex
Its ok for you to not file with your insurance, but what about him? What's the damage on his chumpstang? You should've take a pic of his car with your phone camera just in case he doesn't go reverse happy then filed with your insurance to get a full total loss claim( never know these days).
I say, get an 08' front end!
I wrote him a check yesterday for $588.16, I really don't think he's taking advantage of me. I really thought that sounded suprisingly cheap.
Old 12-25-07, 10:41 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
Having had two front-end accidents in my 2007 GS in the past 6 months, I can absolutely guarantee you that you're looking at a minimum of $2,000 in repairs. And if you make the mistake of trying to get some sort of after-market solution, you will end up paying more in decreased resale value later. It's your choice, but I'd file with the insurance company and have this done right, unless you have more than $500 deductible.
I've got a $1000 deductible. Insurance rates in Harris County for someone under 25 and on a 50K car aren't cheap lol. I recently turned 25 and left the deductible the same to keep the rate lower.
Old 12-25-07, 10:42 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Originally Posted by jenadamson
That sux - glad no one was hurt! Unfortunately, it will likely be more than you think - you can look at a Lexus wrong and it costs you money (ha). However, if you live in Houston, I can give you a reference for great work done with OEM parts by Lexus experienced techs at a reasonable price.

good luck!
I am in Houston, and I'd love a reference!
Thanks
Old 12-25-07, 10:47 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Originally Posted by wikidbwoy
I would buy a factory oem bumper and fog on ebay. Then i would find a really good body shop other than dealer. The easiest way i found a painter was ask freinds if they knew any good body shops. If your in houston try Richey Rd. collision.
I was thinking about that too, I've found a bunch of collision places here in Houston who have OEM GS bumpers. They seem to all be around 150, with minor scratches. I'm thinking about going that route and just getting it refinished and painted at a good shop. What's a brand new OEM GS bumper go for? 400? Atleast I'd assume...
Old 12-26-07, 05:53 PM
jenadamson
Driver

Default Houston body shop reference

I used Royalty Paint & Body off of 59 and Chimney Rock (http://royaltypaintandbody.com/) do to some repairs to my 98. The owner is Michael Diliberto - he and his techs have a lot of experience and mostly work on luxury vehicles (you'll see Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc in the shop when you go there). He gave me a low pressure estimate in a reasonable amount of time (but call ahead) and basically used that as the invoice later. He understood that given the age and mileage of the car, I wanted certain things fixed, but the car did not have to be perfect and so was sensitive to fixing rather than replacing certain pricey parts. For example, the paint was peeling next to the windshield on that thin piece that runs from the windshield to the back on top of the doors. A new part was several hundred dollars, so they took it off and repainted it for much less (can't find invoice at the moment to price it) and it came out looking like new.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-07, 11:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by CsKWarEd
Headlamp works fine and has no visible cracks (needs to be realigned tho). No issues with the foglamp, the flap that it's attached to ripped cleanly without breaking the light. Grille didn't crack at all. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Chris
Yeah anytime a headlight is replaced or removed, the sheet should reflect calibration/aim headlamps.

The flap is part of the bumper cover. Usually something like that is an automatic bumper cover replacement as there is no way to repair a tear in the plastic mount. Glad to hear the damages aren't as bad as expected. Good luck!
Old 12-27-07, 07:18 AM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Is it calibrated when it's taken out, or can it be calibrated while it's still in? Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 12-27-07, 09:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

They are calibrated/aimed after the installation is complete. It's usually the last step after everything is in place.