GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Got in an accident, need advice! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 02:33 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Got in an accident, need advice! *pics*

well I'm pretty upset about this whole deal, and I don't really think it's my fault but at the end of the day I have to own up to it. In the state of Texas, if you hit someone from behind it's your fault, period. This older guy in a chumpstang was in fron of me and stopped at a stop sign and turned right. I got to the stop sign and looked right, saw the chumpstang going, looked left, no cars, I started moving before I looked right again and ran right in to the guy. He had stopped in the middle of the road, because he said he wanted to get over again and saw another car coming... so he stopped(wtf?). He gets out.... with his oxygen machine (I felt awful), and we did the normal whoopla. Anyhow, I'm going to try to get this done on my own without insurance. It looks like only the bumper took the damage, grill, headlights, and fenders look to be ok. Here's where I need some help: I can't decide if it would be worth it for me to just get a new OEM front end, or to go after market. I haven't been around CL in awhile and I don't know what's out there. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to voice them. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Got in an accident, need advice! *pics*-cimg1492b.jpg  
Old 12-21-07, 02:36 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't offer advice on OEM vs aftermarket, but just from your story alone I'd say it's definitely your fault for crashing into him. Hopefully it's just the bumper that needs replacement, as it appears to be. Good luck.
Old 12-21-07, 02:36 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Here's another shot

Attached Thumbnails Got in an accident, need advice! *pics*-cimg1495b.jpg  
Old 12-21-07, 02:55 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

I'm not a an expert, but it looks like the bumper itself, not just the bumper cover may have taken some damage. No big thing, but it may end up costing more then you think.
Old 12-21-07, 03:06 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

You have to remove the bumper to see what really happened. If it was me, I would try to see if the bumper can fit like it did before the accident, if so then go for a kit. I forgot what bumper it was, but it was really nice! Sleek, I'm sure someone knows what I am talking about.

I can't really tell from the pictures, but are the lens cracked on the headlight? If not, then don't change it unless the it affects AFS, etc. A few broken brackets won't hurt anyone... in your mind you know but they don't.
Old 12-21-07, 03:07 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad nobody was hurt. I definately would repair my GS with OEM products, assuming you own your GS, not a lease(wouldn't care as much if it were a lease). How fast were you going? Hope you get it all fixed to your liking.
Old 12-21-07, 03:11 PM
ram3ez
Pole Position

Damn that sucks but body lines and everything else doees seem fine. You can always just get the bumper fixed which would be the cheaper option in my opinion. Also no point of going through insurance for that, because thats pretty much screwing yourself. I think its the law in all states, because they say your not supposed to follow that close. I suggest get his and your car fixed on your own and yours get it fixed at a lexus certified body shop.
Old 12-21-07, 03:14 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

^That's the plan, his 94 Chumpstang bumper should be cheap. I'm worried about mine though...

Old 12-22-07, 02:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

That looks very minor but that repair will possibly be around 2k or more depending if your headlamps and fogs are damaged or not. I would write you a preliminary estimate if I had my work laptop with me.

R/I RT HEADLAMP ASSY
R/R RT FOGLAMP ASSY
O/H FRONT BUMPER - INC. R&I
R/R FRONT BUMPER COVER W/SENSOR
R/I GRILLE

Plus refinish time, materials and taxable items.
Old 12-22-07, 03:05 PM
cvex
Driver

Its ok for you to not file with your insurance, but what about him? What's the damage on his chumpstang? You should've take a pic of his car with your phone camera just in case he doesn't go reverse happy then filed with your insurance to get a full total loss claim( never know these days).
I say, get an 08' front end!
Old 12-22-07, 05:57 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Having had two front-end accidents in my 2007 GS in the past 6 months, I can absolutely guarantee you that you're looking at a minimum of $2,000 in repairs. And if you make the mistake of trying to get some sort of after-market solution, you will end up paying more in decreased resale value later. It's your choice, but I'd file with the insurance company and have this done right, unless you have more than $500 deductible.
Old 12-22-07, 09:18 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not going with an insurance claim, I'd put an aftermarket front end. I always said if I were to replace parts, I'd start putting on aftermarket ones. No sense in spending the same amount for OEM parts.
Old 12-23-07, 07:28 PM
costanza
Pole Position

I'd do everything possible to not have a police or insurance report filed!!!!!!!! Use any decent aftermarket parts but don't skimp on the paint job. Make sure the parts are painted OFF the car to avoid overspray in cracks, etc. (a dead giveaway the car has had bodywork). You DO NOT want this VERY MINOR wreck showing up on carfax. Write the other guy a check and put something like "wreck damage" in the notes section so when he endorses it and cashes it, you have proof that he accepted your settlement.
Old 12-23-07, 07:56 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Modeler
Having had two front-end accidents in my 2007 GS in the past 6 months, I can absolutely guarantee you that you're looking at a minimum of $2,000 in repairs. And if you make the mistake of trying to get some sort of after-market solution, you will end up paying more in decreased resale value later. It's your choice, but I'd file with the insurance company and have this done right, unless you have more than $500 deductible.
WTF, PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE!!!

From my own experience, if the tabs on your headlight are not broken. Then it would cost little over 2k, otherwise it would be 1.3k more for the headlight replacement!!!

In case you wondering, my GS was only 2 weeks old when it got HIT~&~RUN in the parking lot (THAT SOB)!!!
Old 12-23-07, 08:12 PM
jenadamson
Driver

That sux - glad no one was hurt! Unfortunately, it will likely be more than you think - you can look at a Lexus wrong and it costs you money (ha). However, if you live in Houston, I can give you a reference for great work done with OEM parts by Lexus experienced techs at a reasonable price.

good luck!

Quick Reply: Got in an accident, need advice! *pics*