GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Aftermarket Wheels + TPMS ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 09:15 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Wheels + TPMS ??

I know a handful of you owners have installed aftermarket Wheels. My question is what Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) did you install on your new wheels to not cause the warning light in the dash to go crazy?

Can you provide price and compatibility? Did anyone try TireRack?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 12-27-07, 09:22 PM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the tire pressure monitor sensors can come off your old wheels and onto your new wheels. Or, you can purchase new sensors, but need them registered to your car by the dealer. I'm going to try and have my existing sensors put onto the new wheels when they come in.
Old 12-27-07, 10:28 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Most people will take the ones in your stock wheels and place them in the new set of wheels. I went and got another set of TPMS and had them "programmed" them to my car. I have the sensors... just awaiting my wheels within the week.

With aftermarket wheels, you will need a special valve that is designed to hold the TPMS or be forced to drill the rim so it can accommodate the sensor. I had both option but I chose to get the special valve.

Each sensor new is a little over 100 bucks but u can find them on ebay from 50-150 for a full set of used ones. Remember to get them programmed to your car before you install them, otherwise they will have to charge u to dismount the tires and do it the proper way.
Old 12-28-07, 09:42 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to a local America's tire (same as discount tire) they have a huge poster explaining TPMS during wheel/tires installation, so I would assume they know exactly what to do with it.
Old 12-28-07, 09:51 AM
Wheel Boy
Rookie

There are some rims that already come with the sensors. I found these SSR at More Japan.com.

Old 12-28-07, 12:39 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Maybe sensor holders, but not the sensors. Some companies are willing to drill the extra hole for the sensor if you wish.
Old 12-28-07, 12:58 PM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

good tip thanks guys...
Old 12-28-07, 02:25 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Great Info. I was planning to buy a spare set of sensors as I plan to keep my stock 17's to run in the winter. So I will need to get the sensors programmed prior to installation. Is there any way we can just turn off TPMS?
Old 12-28-07, 03:31 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Great Info. I was planning to buy a spare set of sensors as I plan to keep my stock 17's to run in the winter. So I will need to get the sensors programmed prior to installation. Is there any way we can just turn off TPMS?
Thats the smart way to do it. Even though I live in Miami, FL... I still want my stocks in case I even need them such as a road trip or something.

Currently, no there is no way to turn off the TPMS. There have been other ways around it. For example, "TPMS Bomb" its a funny title but it works. What they do it place a set of sensors in a round cylinder or threaded pipe and enclose it with screw on ends. Some weld it close. From there *** I believe *** they fill it with XX amount of psi to prevent the sensors from going off.

Then there is the wheel barrel method, which again the TPMS are enclosed within the wheel and the air pressure is adjusted.

Its a safety feature that we already paid for... why not use it for what it was meant to be.
Old 12-28-07, 03:43 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

I like the idea of TPMS for my new TOM's 19" wheels. I just dont want to have to drill or damage the wheels to have them successfully work.

IF that turns out to be the case, I will build the TMPS bomb as you put it out of PVC, pipe and caps and install one of my spare SSR screw on type valve stems through a correct sized hole drilled in one PVC cap prior to me blue-glue ing it together.

I been reading up on this and I am wondering if we can use any Ford, Chevy, Jeep sensor? I rather use a Toyota part but I dont see them on eBay too often. I just want to be economical in this matter.
Old 12-28-07, 04:34 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Toyota/Lexus sensors only. You gotta keep up on eBay, I got my set for $60 shipped.

BTW make sure that PVC TPMS bomb can handle air pressure. I believe in the 3GS you can hit a switch to reset the air pressure or something along that line. I saw it as I paged through the manual but can't remember it all correctly.
Old 12-28-07, 05:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Always best to have a 2nd set of TPMS for your aftermarket wheels just in case. Otherwise you will get the annoying TPMS dash warning light to stay on while you drive.

Go with the OEM Lexus sensors. Make sure it's the right one for your particular GS (i.e. build date).
Old 12-28-07, 05:26 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

The term OEM Lexus makes my wallet run and hide. Do we have any hookups with vendor pricing here since the majority of CL members have aftermarket wheels on their Lexus?
Old 12-28-07, 05:28 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

ALSO.... Does anyone know if TPMS is manditory in Japan after 2006? or is this purely American?
Old 12-28-07, 07:30 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
ALSO.... Does anyone know if TPMS is manditory in Japan after 2006? or is this purely American?
Its not mandatory... just an option lexus like to use.

Expect to pay over $300 at a minimum for brand new sensors. Look in the vendors section, they have them. I think swell lexus is selling them for $3XX.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels + TPMS ??