GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lumbar Support/Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 05:46 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have decided just to take the loss and sell the GS 350. My back can't handle the seats. I am in the process of trying to sell the car back to the dealership. My loss will be in the $2,000-$3,000 range but the car will only have 300 miles on the odometer. Sad. I really liked the GS and loved it with those 20" wheels.

Dealer wants me to "find a buyer" and then trade the car with 300 miles for another. He would graciously wave the "handling" fee for processing the new buyer's paperwork. I had hoped (still hoping now) the dealer would just charge me $1,000 for the 300 miles and allow me to purchase another Lexus.
But, this is the real world and business dictates he can get another Lexus just like mine for REAL dealer cost so why should he care about my back problems?

I have owned more than a dozen new cars over the past 10 years. I have never taken a loss after 300 miles and never had a seat that caused my back so much pain. Yes, I take responsibility for my purchase thus the "loss" of money for needing another car.

My car is otherwise perfect. No rattles, No defects, etc. In fact, it is the most perfect automobile I have ever taken delivery of. But, beauty isn't everything and my back takes priority.
Old 12-31-07, 03:45 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Too bad you didn't read my previous posts about the seat. (I know, you didn't know about the seat issue back then) But I came about the same thought about the seats. Try sit in the ES. I bet you'll find that better. The bottom has more padding. I sat in the LS. It felt better but only because it has more adjustments.
Old 12-31-07, 07:41 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starstreak
Too bad you didn't read my previous posts about the seat. (I know, you didn't know about the seat issue back then) But I came about the same thought about the seats. Try sit in the ES. I bet you'll find that better. The bottom has more padding. I sat in the LS. It felt better but only because it has more adjustments.
I think he would need more than just sitting in the ES. He obviously sat in the GS before he bought it. What Valueguy needs to do is to take a car for at least an overnight test drive.
Old 12-31-07, 07:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
I think he would need more than just sitting in the ES. He obviously sat in the GS before he bought it. What Valueguy needs to do is to take a car for at least an overnight test drive.
I agree. IMHO, seat comfort is one of the most subjective areas of a car. What one driver finds comfortable, the next one may find the same seat unbearable. I have an ES and find the drivers is seat great for me - But I'm sure there are others who don't agree. Overnight and/or extended time behind the wheel is the way to go.
Old 12-31-07, 09:59 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Unhappy Seats that adapt to you rather than you to the seat would be much better

Originally Posted by Valueguy
Well, I have decided just to take the loss and sell the GS 350. My back can't handle the seats. I am in the process of trying to sell the car back to the dealership. My loss will be in the $2,000-$3,000 range but the car will only have 300 miles on the odometer.
Actually, that is exactly what I expected that it would cost you. But life is short, so better that you should be comfortable than richer.

Next time, look for seats that fit you better and, if possible, drive the car in question for a week. Yep, I know that is usually hard to impossible to accomplish.

It's a shame that in $50K car, Lexus did not put in more seat padding and more seat adjustments. But they didn't.

Personally, I was able to completely change how I've sat in a car my entire life, so that I modified my behavior to match the car seat and now I'm happy with my 2008 GS, but I would have much prefered that the car adjust to me rather than the other way around!
Old 12-31-07, 12:27 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Slightly off topic, but...I have had the car for exactly 1 year. It seems the driver's seat has lost firmness/padding. It feels quite different and the leather has that loose look to it. The dealer said it's normal because the car is driven every day. We are not large people, so I find it surprising that the seat would like lose that much padding in a year.
Old 12-31-07, 01:16 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
Actually, that is exactly what I expected that it would cost you. But life is short, so better that you should be comfortable than richer.

Next time, look for seats that fit you better and, if possible, drive the car in question for a week. Yep, I know that is usually hard to impossible to accomplish.

It's a shame that in $50K car, Lexus did not put in more seat padding and more seat adjustments. But they didn't.

Personally, I was able to completely change how I've sat in a car my entire life, so that I modified my behavior to match the car seat and now I'm happy with my 2008 GS, but I would have much prefered that the car adjust to me rather than the other way around!

I plan on trying your approach for the next 6 months. I purchased a lumbar support cushion and will keep trying various adjustments on the seat. What do find works for you?
Old 12-31-07, 01:32 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Default One other option...

Valueguy -

If it's not too late, here's one other option...I had the EXACT same problem in my 2002 IS300.

I was so disenchanted that I nearly sold the car back as well. However, I went to their aftermarket supplier of choice (who performs all the leather fixes, etc. on the seats) and had them install a new lumbar support system. The lumbar inflatable balloon could go in/out and up/down so it could support me where I needed it. Plus, I had them shave the padding inside the seat so that the padding was more straight up and down. Everything was done very clean and the supplier installed 2 buttons on the side of the seat - one for in/out and one for up/down. It was perfect.

I hope this helps. Just an idea. Go to your dealer and ask if there are any shops they know who could do this.

Oh, and I complained to my dealer and got them to give me a $400 service credit (what it cost me to have this all done) so it was as if they paid for it.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-07, 01:44 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IStoGS350
Valueguy -

If it's not too late, here's one other option...I had the EXACT same problem in my 2002 IS300.

I was so disenchanted that I nearly sold the car back as well. However, I went to their aftermarket supplier of choice (who performs all the leather fixes, etc. on the seats) and had them install a new lumbar support system. The lumbar inflatable balloon could go in/out and up/down so it could support me where I needed it. Plus, I had them shave the padding inside the seat so that the padding was more straight up and down. Everything was done very clean and the supplier installed 2 buttons on the side of the seat - one for in/out and one for up/down. It was perfect.

I hope this helps. Just an idea. Go to your dealer and ask if there are any shops they know who could do this.

Oh, and I complained to my dealer and got them to give me a $400 service credit (what it cost me to have this all done) so it was as if they paid for it.

Good luck!

This may work in your area but here I am lucky if they can change the oil without messing up my car. I doubt any shop in my area could do your alteration.
Old 12-31-07, 01:52 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am sure it was not the dealer but an upholstry shop who did the upgrade. This is a great idea.

I found that lowering the back portion of the seat bottom and completely deflating the lumbar support and making the back of the seat more upright made it more comfortable. Now it feels great. Good luck with your car.
Old 12-31-07, 04:40 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I am sure it was not the dealer but an upholstry shop who did the upgrade. This is a great idea.

I found that lowering the back portion of the seat bottom and completely deflating the lumbar support and making the back of the seat more upright made it more comfortable. Now it feels great. Good luck with your car.

Thank you. I just drove the car and made some changes plus added a pillow until my memory foam arrives. I like the pillow, max. lumbar support, max. heat setting, lowered seat max., and MINIMAL decline. This REALLY helped my back. The memory foam should be much better than the pillow and I will let you know after I get it in place.
Old 12-31-07, 05:13 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I know about the Es seats and they are worst, LS I don't know, it's toyoyta, even my 98 camery had the steel strap feeling in the back maybe it time for a GM buick not being sercastic here but the Gm seats are better (thicker). twester is right it took me about 3 weeks with my GS 07 to find that magic spot were the seats feel good, so far I like it. Wish you the best.
Old 12-31-07, 06:29 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by osokuko
I know about the Es seats and they are worst, LS I don't know, it's toyoyta, even my 98 camery had the steel strap feeling in the back maybe it time for a GM buick not being sercastic here but the Gm seats are better (thicker). twester is right it took me about 3 weeks with my GS 07 to find that magic spot were the seats feel good, so far I like it. Wish you the best.
So, what seat position works for you? I need more back cushion so seat position alone won't cut it. But, add more foam AND work with the seat adjustment results in a tolerable driver's seat.
Old 01-01-08, 02:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by osokuko
Agree 100%. There is a huge difference in quality and comfort in the entry level ES/RX seats and the GS seat. Its night and day. I doubt you would like the ES seat.

How about letting the dealer let you borrow a loaner for a night or weekend?
Old 01-01-08, 03:52 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have pictures to share of these superior 4Runner seats so we can see for comparison? I agree that the seats are not the greatest, but they are far superior to the majority of seats in automobiles today.

I like the idea of taking the drivers seat to an upholstery shop and having them add more foam cushioning in the areas that you request. it may cost you $200-$300 (which is better than selling and buying a new car)

Quick Reply: Lumbar Support/Seats