GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lumbar Support/Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 08:06 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumbar Support/Seats

My only complaint so far is the seat; in particular, the lumbar area seems to bother me. I have a history of low back surgery in the past but most of the time and in most cars I have no problem. In the GS seat my low back seems to bother me more than my 4 Runner or Odyssey. I have just started playing with the lumbar support button so that may help. Anyone else have a comment about the back support? I wish the lumbar support also was adjustable up and down (so you could get that exact spot where you want it most).

Do most people like a lot of lumbar support? I have the seat adjusted nicely but can't decide whether a lot of lumbar support in this car is helpful or not.
Old 12-29-07, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hehee, get the ls460, you can adjust the height of the lumbar support j/k

i think the lumbar support on the gs350 is ok, not too bad. it's much better than that on my 2gs already. i also have lower back problems and driving long distance on the 2gs and my back hurt
Old 12-29-07, 10:04 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know exactly what you are talking about, going from a bmw 330 to a 3GS, that was my small complaint as well

on the 330, you can adjust it to anywhere you like it, up and down, left and right.

i do a lot of long drive and that was really nice for my back.

regardless, GS has some nice seats tho
Old 12-29-07, 01:38 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Same here. I have back issues and there are times I want to sell my car just because I cant sit in it for more than 15mins. You can do a search here about that complaint.
The Maxima I had before this worked out a bit better because the lower seat would raise/lower from the rear (so I could adjust it to my height), not raise and lower the whole chair like the gs350 does.
Old 12-29-07, 03:03 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

The seat issue for me is significant enough that I may be forced to sell the car. Is there any adjustments to make the lower back more comfortable?
Perhaps, I need to adjust the incline so I sit more upright? I am suprised by this issue because I have no problems in my 4 Runner, Honda cars, Mercedes Benz or BMW.

I didn't have any discomfort during the test drive but that GS was a demo and had 10,000 miles. Perhaps, the seats just need to get "broken-in" like a new pair of shoes? Comments?

Also, do you like the lumbar support on max or min setting? I notice the difference but my back hurts the same whether inflated full or not at all.
I can't figure out the reason as the seats seem nice. Any help/input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-07, 03:15 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

perhaps you need to buy one of this?

Old 12-29-07, 03:36 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

I was hoping to avoid the ugly lumbar support pillow. But, if I need to go that route I will do so. Any particular brand? I suspect that the incline of the seat is playing a role in my back pain. I plan on playing with the incline level and lumar support over the next few months. The actual area of discomfort varies depending on the lumbar support level and the incline.

Anyone else notice a problem with the thoracic/lumbar area? Does this improve over time as the leather wears in?
Old 12-29-07, 03:36 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

i use mine on the highest setting. It helps, but still isn't the exact feel I prefer.
Old 12-29-07, 04:18 PM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Yes, lumbar sucks on our cars. It's one of the few things that are inferior in our cars over others, i.e., BMW, Audi, etc.
Old 12-29-07, 04:19 PM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

BTW, it's not just the lumbar, but the whole seat. Our seats are not nearly as comfortable.
Old 12-29-07, 05:19 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

It amazes me that my 2005 4 Runner has a better seat than my 2008 GS 350.
I am in totally bummed over this issue. I never would have believed a Lexus luxury/sport sedan would have an inferior seat to a truck based SUV-unbelievable.

At this point my options are limited. I can take the car back, buy a seat support or live with it. Option 3 is not a viable one as my back is killing me.
I really like this car in every other aspect but I don't know whether I can survive the seat.
Old 12-29-07, 06:05 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Anyone know if a LS seat would fit in the GS 350? I am curious if this is an option. What about the ES seat? Is the ES a better seat?

As crazy as it soounds I would consider spending $2,000 more for the BEST avail. seat on this car. Any ideas? Back in the 80's we had Recaro. Since my leather is brand new I imagine any Cashmere Lexus leather would be a real close match.

I will purchase a seat support cushion and go from there. But, if the LS seat does fit then I would consider talking to the dealer about a possible seat exchange for additional money.
Old 12-29-07, 07:02 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

How is this for a solution. I buy one-three different supports/cushions. Once I find one that works I get a very nice sheepskin cover for both front seats. www.superlambauto.com This would run me about $600-$700 for both seats in a quality sheepskin. Then, I wouldn't see the ugly seat support/cushion every time I got in the car because the sheepskin would cover it. I would need to send the support cushion to the sheepskin manufacturer because these covers are custom made for each seat.
Old 12-30-07, 02:08 AM
BKruptcyJD
Rookie

Originally Posted by Valueguy
How is this for a solution. I buy one-three different supports/cushions. Once I find one that works I get a very nice sheepskin cover for both front seats. www.superlambauto.com This would run me about $600-$700 for both seats in a quality sheepskin. Then, I wouldn't see the ugly seat support/cushion every time I got in the car because the sheepskin would cover it. I would need to send the support cushion to the sheepskin manufacturer because these covers are custom made for each seat.
That's hilarious.
Old 12-30-07, 05:03 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

I figured out why the GS seats are so uncomfortable for me. I sat in my 4 Runner and examined the seat (by no means an upscale seat). Then, I examined the GS seat. The GS is not as well padded on the bottom and in the back area. In addition, the back curves away from you unlike most seats which are flat or curve slightly towards your back. This combination of poor padding and the "wrong" curve with poor thoracic/lumbar support is the reason for my pain.

I doubt I will be able to keep the car. My wife wants me to send $200 on various back supports but I am not as optimistic about the outcome. I may call the dealer today and discuss this totally unexpected situation.

I doubt the dealer will take the car back without me suffering a huge loss.
Are the ES or LS seats better padded? How is the curvature of the back area?

Quick Reply: Lumbar Support/Seats