GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Returning a New Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 10:21 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the LS, you can get the Touring option (which is the sport package). And yes, the seats are very comfortable with plenty of padding. Although I find the LS460 seats to be firmer than the prior LS430 seats. But in my opinion, the LS460 seats are more comfortable because they are supportive. There are plenty of adjustments too (thigh adjustment and height adjustable lumbar support).

I hope you find relief in your GS seats with the memory foam.
Old 12-31-07, 10:34 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2007es350
It sounds like this seat issue is a deal killer for you...it would be for me. Instead of being stuck with a car that you are scrambling to find a speculative solution to fix your seat problem, I would just take the deal and take the $3K hit and be rid of your GS.

When my prior ES was in the shop, I drove loaner GS vehicles. I personally didn't care for the GS seats...the padding made the seat cramped and unconfortable for me even though I'm in good shape and 5'11" tall weighing 160 pounds. When Lexus bought back my ES, I went for the LS because I wanted comfortable seats.

If you like the seats on another Lexus model better, you might as well take the $3K hit NOW and start driving a car you like NOW. If you stick it out for another year with your GS and still want to trade the GS, you will take a much larger hit than $3K and you will have spent a lot of time and energy. Just my 2 cents.

I am thin -- 140 pounds -- without much built-in padding on my butt. My 2GS seats were very comfortable with plenty of padding and support. I loved them.

Eventually, I learned how, in order to make my 3GS seats tolerable, to sit in a completely different way than I've ever sat before when driving. Now, also with lots of playing around with the various settings, I've been able to make the 3GS seats acceptable to me. Lexus could and should have made them better, so that they could more easily be adjusted to different body shapes and desires.

Still, although I'm happily keeping my 2-week old 3GS, I'd recommend you sell yours based on what you've told us thus far. At any rate, good luck.
Old 01-01-08, 01:28 AM
AlterZgo
Driver

Originally Posted by Valueguy

Do you mind me asking what you paid for this service? Is it worth it to ask the dealer for any help? I imagine the dealer would charge me for this added foam.
I paid about $100 here in Los Angeles. However, I think this may have been cheaper than normal as I was referred to the place by the owner's brother. In another forum, I've seen prices around $200 for removing the seat from the car, taking the leather cover off and making modifications.

Initially, the upholstery shop didn't have memory foam and, after having them do the work, my seat still wasn't as comfortable as I wanted. So I bought one of those expensive memory foam lumbar supports which worked well, but I didn't like it flopping around on the seat.

So, eventually, I just bought a bag of upholstery hooks and an upholstery plier, took the seat out myself, cut up my expensive memory foam lumbar support and custom fitted it to the seat. It was a PITA and took about 3 or 4 tries before I had the seat exactly how I liked.

I think I'm going to get a BMW for my next car because their sport seats have virtually infinite adjustments for everything including raising and lowering the lumbar support as well as inflating and deflating.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-08, 03:07 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with steverhode. My 2GS seats were more comfortable than the 3GS.

Back to the topic though, if the stealership is offering $3k less what you paid, see if you can get another for $3k less than sticker. You would break even.

Just curious, what would happen if you DON'T sign the new papers? Would they "threaten" to return your money and take back the car if you don't sign it?
Old 01-01-08, 03:47 AM
spiralynth
Rookie

I think you're on the right track with the memory foam/modification path.

Since you seem to like the rest of the car, take that $1k (or up to) that you were willing to forfeit on the return and get the seat completely restructured and customized to your EXACT specifications by an experienced professional. Theoritically, you could spend up to $3k on this endeavor and still break even given your current, realistic options. If you work at it, I think you could end up with something better than you might have imagined or gotten from any stock seat. Look into prospects who restore high value/rare cars, or talk to various dealers on a referral. I'm sure you could find many reputable options who've provided solutions to those in similar situations. I would be surprised if there wasn't a niche market that catered to large, professional athletes who have very expensive cars modified to accommodate their size.
Old 01-01-08, 10:43 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Here's a Way to a Partial Victory

Originally Posted by tod071
I agree with steverhode. My 2GS seats were more comfortable than the 3GS.

Back to the topic though, if the stealership is offering $3k less what you paid, see if you can get another for $3k less than sticker. You would break even.

Just curious, what would happen if you DON'T sign the new papers? Would they "threaten" to return your money and take back the car if you don't sign it?
It's easy to get a partial victory out of this for you. Agree to eat the $3k and ask them to sell you the car you want at invoice. They'll probably go for the deal to keep you happy. Try it. It'll probably work.
Old 01-01-08, 07:50 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
It's easy to get a partial victory out of this for you. Agree to eat the $3k and ask them to sell you the car you want at invoice. They'll probably go for the deal to keep you happy. Try it. It'll probably work.

Here is the deal: I like my GS 350 and want to try to fix the seat issue with memory foam. After all, with proper foam in the back support the seat should be fine for me. I like the GS for its "youthful" looks. I have time (I hope) for many LS sedans in my future. My last two decades will be spent in nothing else other than an LS sedan. I prefer to stick the GS/E/5 for now.
Old 01-03-08, 02:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh boy. No cooling off period.
Old 01-03-08, 03:09 PM
brianvan1
Rookie

Default Same Proble

wow, i have the same problem with my 07 gs, i thought i was the only one but i guess not
Old 01-03-08, 04:11 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Well,

I have decided to bite the bullet on the GS 350. My back hurts too much.
I was wondering whether to sell it privately or trade it in? Should I put the stock wheels back on the car? Or, offer the car with both sets on club lexus and autotrader.com?

How does $44,000 sound for a GS RWD, NAV, ML and XM with 500 miles?
Or, should I just trade it in at a Mercedes dealer or BMW dealer for $41,000?
Old 01-03-08, 04:29 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. It seems to me you could probably get the seat's upholstery/padding custom fitted to your exact specifications for less than you are going to lose by selling the car now....but it is your money...
Old 01-03-08, 04:45 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Well,

I was wondering whether to sell it privately or trade it in? Should I put the stock wheels back on the car? Or, offer the car with both sets on club lexus and autotrader.com?

dude, no way. sorry to hear about the back issues. you've taken a lot of time doing research for this car. my wife had similar problem on a new 2004 Acura TL we got and then dumped it after a year for the new is250 b/c it was killing her back too. If you are going to sell it, I would do it with the stock wheels and use the 20's on your next ride or just sell them. I sold my 2000 GS400 with 135K on craigslist.com within 8 days of posting it...bought sight unseen. hell, i would park the car near the dealership with a sign that saids brand new gs350...lol.

Also, keep in mind that when you trade a car in for another, you only pay tax on the difference between the purchase price and the value of the trade in. i believe i paid 6% in tax in florida so you would save almost $2500 on trading the car in so understand that in comparing to selling by private seller for what you really need out of it. Using the above numbers you provided, it doesn't make sense to sell privately your car for say $44K when you can get $41K + $2500 tax credit and avoid the hassle of even trying to sell it. What did you pay for the car anyway? (maybe I missed that if you already posted it). EITHER WAY, negotiate everything..unless money comes easier to you.

i agree with the above postings, research to find an auto custom upholster guy and have him make you one...could be well worth it if everything else is kosher. Hell, i've seen real burberry seats and headliners so anything can be done.
well the pics looked good with the new rims. definetly don't trade in the new rims as you will not get credit for it and the MB dealer may look at it as a negative to sell considering their primary demographic.

Last edited by bobbyt01nc; 01-03-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 05:23 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

If I recall correctly, doesn't the car have to stay under a 100 miles in order for a dealer to still sell the car as new?

Well, just called up a buddy of mine (he works in a Law Office). He explained to me that "when a contract is signed for a set amount and afterwards, one party determines an incorrect verbage or amount that would be considered unreasonable, then a new contract can be made to correct these mistakes. However, the contract cannot be void on just this basis alone unless it is mutually agreed upon by both parties involved."

Curtis
Old 01-03-08, 06:02 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Make a deal with the dealer

Well,

Take the dealer's original offer to lose $3(or so)k and take the car back, assuming you can still get them to honor it, and ask them to sell you the car you really want -- how about an LS? -- at invoice. They'll probably go for the deal to keep you happy. Try it. It'll probably work.
Old 01-03-08, 07:42 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Now that Christmas is over the stealer is trying to rob me again. My "deal" with them fell apart. I now have a brand new Lexus GS Starfire/cashmere with 500 miles and the stealer offered me $41,500 on a TRADE with the new RX 350 at $1,200 invoice. Ouch! Of course, I said no. My plan is to sell the car privately, all stock, with 500 miles for $44,000 firm. The car has NAV, ML and XM. It is perfect and has never been driven hard. Does this sound fair? The only "catch" is that the buyer needs to meet at a dealership so I can get my tax credit on a new vehicle.

Now, I need to decide what to get next. I guarantee I won't be buying at that dealership again. I figure that I have 90-120 days to sell my car at that price. Since it is below invoice because of the XM I doubt the number can be beat. What do you all think? My next move is ClubLexus classified and then autotrader.com

Quick Reply: Returning a New Car