GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 10:03 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Care

I know there's a care and detailing forum, but this forum is more active, and you guys are never lacking for opinions

I've had my 07 GS350 since very late October. A few questions about cosmetic care. The interior is Cashmere.

1. In light of the thread the other day about scratches on the steering wheel (of which I have none -- we don't wear rings) - what should I use to care for the wood portion of the wheel, and should I use it regularly, even if there's no problem (sun protection?)

2. Leather cleaning - what should I use to spot clean scuffs on the leather, just small spots of dirt?

3. Leather care - how often should I clean and/or condition the rest of the leather, particularly the seats, and what should I use to do that?

Thanks, and everyone have a Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-08, 05:17 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sf7307
I know there's a care and detailing forum, but this forum is more active, and you guys are never lacking for opinions

I've had my 07 GS350 since very late October. A few questions about cosmetic care. The interior is Cashmere.

1. In light of the thread the other day about scratches on the steering wheel (of which I have none -- we don't wear rings) - what should I use to care for the wood portion of the wheel, and should I use it regularly, even if there's no problem (sun protection?)

2. Leather cleaning - what should I use to spot clean scuffs on the leather, just small spots of dirt?

3. Leather care - how often should I clean and/or condition the rest of the leather, particularly the seats, and what should I use to do that?

Thanks, and everyone have a Happy New Year!
Happy New Year!

I use Zymol Leather Cleaner...and Zymol Leather Conditioner. It's GREAT, sells for $6.99 each at Target... and keeps that 'new leather' smell going. I've read before that you should vacuum thoroghly first (the abrasive nature of dust/dirt ruins the leather)... then clean and condition every 6wks. I know it's the middle of winter...but they also say you should leave your car in the sun for an hour or so, to warm the leather first. I followed this routine with my 94 Lexus GS300...and the leather was still in fairly good shape when I sold it in 2004. (The passanger and rear seats looked like new)
Old 01-02-08, 08:52 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, regardless of the leather cleaner or conditioner you use, the main thing is consistency in using those products. You should clean and condition at least twice a year for the lazy. That being said, stay away from Zymol "retail" and other leather treatments, I've used Zymol "retail" leather, the orange/brown liquid cleaner and white cream, they are average. The best retail I've used is the classic Lexol, can be found at Walmart, Target, local Lexus dealer etc. My favorite leather treatment I've used is the Zaino leather treatment. The main thing is clean and condition often.
Old 01-02-08, 03:34 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend dilute Woolite solution( as per owners manual) for light cleaning, and Zaino Leather Cleaner followed with Zaino Leather In A Bottle for treatment 3 or 4 times a year.
Old 01-03-08, 02:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Meguiars Gold Class Cleaner/Conditioner is a favorite that I have been using for years. It keeps the leather nice and soft and it doesn't leave a residue. It's best to clean with Meguiars Gold Class Interior Detailer spray and you can condition with either the Gold Class Leather Cleaner Conditioner or what i've been using as of recent, the Gold Class Rich Leather Spray.
Old 01-03-08, 08:08 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find using a paste with damp sponge is better than using those wipes from the jar. Nothing beats tender care and some detail. I agree to vacuum down first to get any small particles and dirt off, or you could get scratching during the rubbing process.

I like to rub down about three times per year. Late spring to cover through the early summer. Late summer to go through fall and then mid winter to carry me to spring again.

Another thing is any liquids that get on seats, clean up immediately, don't give anything time to sit and permiate into the leather.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 01-03-08 at 08:09 PM. Reason: fall to spring in final season