GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front Brake Service Done 06 gs300

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 01:45 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Front Brake Service Done 06 gs300

I was backing out of the garage and heard a sqeal from the front left tire, and looked in and noticed the pads are finally getting thin. So I called my service advisor and he had me bring it in and sure enough pads are down to the warning clip...Had the service done, rotors turned and was told there is at least one more turn for the rotors, if not 2 more. So new pads and turned rotors cost $320 ouch. The car went 43K miles on pads, and I am sure I could have waited a bit since they just started to sqeal but why bother, it will need to be done anyways. Have many others needed a brake service?? I know the gs350 430 have more aggressive pads they may last a shorter duration of time....

This is an old post...what are the 350 people experiencing??

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181397

is this right for the gs350 as well?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=47

Last edited by EyeKutr; 12-31-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 04:44 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I was backing out of the garage and heard a sqeal from the front left tire, and looked in and noticed the pads are finally getting thin. So I called my service advisor and he had me bring it in and sure enough pads are down to the warning clip...Had the service done, rotors turned and was told there is at least one more turn for the rotors, if not 2 more. So new pads and turned rotors cost $320 ouch. The car went 43K miles on pads, and I am sure I could have waited a bit since they just started to sqeal but why bother, it will need to be done anyways. Have many others needed a brake service?? I know the gs350 430 have more aggressive pads they may last a shorter duration of time....

This is an old post...what are the 350 people experiencing??

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181397

is this right for the gs350 as well?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=47

I posted once before on my brake debacle. I bought a Pre-Ownded Certified 06 with 30Kmi's. I bought it online without a test drive, figuring that if Lexus 'certified' it...it must be good-to-go. I took it for a quick run around the block before signing the paperwork, just to make sure the tires didn't fall off. On my way home, I noticed that any application of the brakes above 50mph would result in a noticible vibration in the car. I took it into my local Lexus dealer and they said it needed all 4 rotors machined, and pads all around. I called Lexus Customer Support and complained, and they pretty much said, "Take it up with the dealer". I called the dealer I bought it from and they said, they would get back to me... a month later I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau... long story short... I got my brake job done at the local lexus dealer PAID FOR by the dealer I bought it from.

That was a really long story to say, "I needed a brake job done too...at 30Kmi". It cost $295 per axle. They didn't say anything about needing the rotors replaced, but I'm sure by my next brake job I will
Old 04-18-08, 08:02 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I posted once before on my brake debacle. I bought a Pre-Ownded Certified 06 with 30Kmi's. I bought it online without a test drive, figuring that if Lexus 'certified' it...it must be good-to-go. I took it for a quick run around the block before signing the paperwork, just to make sure the tires didn't fall off. On my way home, I noticed that any application of the brakes above 50mph would result in a noticible vibration in the car. I took it into my local Lexus dealer and they said it needed all 4 rotors machined, and pads all around. I called Lexus Customer Support and complained, and they pretty much said, "Take it up with the dealer". I called the dealer I bought it from and they said, they would get back to me... a month later I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau... long story short... I got my brake job done at the local lexus dealer PAID FOR by the dealer I bought it from.

That was a really long story to say, "I needed a brake job done too...at 30Kmi". It cost $295 per axle. They didn't say anything about needing the rotors replaced, but I'm sure by my next brake job I will
I hope I'm not going to have to get into a fight with my dealer.

I just bought a CPO 06 430 (42k Miles) on Monday. On Wednesday morning, I was braking from low speed into a channelized turn just after leaving my street and I got a couple of squeals.

I bought from a local dealer and test drove the car. Like you though, I put full stock in the reputation and explicit promise of Lexus certification. A car that is supposed to have gone through the process as described by Lexus cannot immediately need brakes. They say "In order to meet the rigorous standards of the CPO program, specially-trained Lexus technicians put each vehicle through an exhaustive series of examinations, assuring reliability, quality and customer confidence." (Including that) "The safety and security of airbags, seatbelts, brake pads and rotors, plus tire tread depth is assessed." Anything that does not meet or exceed "the highest standards" is supposed to be reconditioned, replaced or cause the car to fail certification.
Old 04-18-08, 08:21 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

My '06 GS300 has near 41K miles and I haven't heard brake squeeling yet, but I'm pretty easy on the car. It will probably be due for front pads soon.

Regarding CPO, I bought our RX330 CPO. The SUV's great, but there were many minor things wrong with the car that I found after I bought the car. The dealer took care of everthing I asked without hesitation. But I was disappointed with the CPO program and how this car was supposedly certified. My service advisor told me later that our RX shouldn't have been on the lot and somehow it got rushed through. To this day I don't think the brakes were in as good a condition as I was told and the front pads will likely need replacement soon.

I would buy CPO again, but I would be more thorough about inspection rather than trusting the dealer's inspection checklist.
Old 04-18-08, 08:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I know the gs350 430 have more aggressive pads they may last a shorter duration of time....

Thats a good question, anybody that have the high friction brake pads had to replace them yet? Does it really only 20K miles like Lexus stated?
Old 04-18-08, 11:54 AM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the way you drive because I am at 38K and no sqeeling yet.........
Old 04-18-08, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, it highly depends on your driving. if you are driving freeways all day long and you brake very mildly, the pads will last longer. it's a disclaimer by lexus, but not a "must". just like the summer tires, they might go out after 15k miles if you drive like a mad man, but not like everyone gets 15k miles out of them
Old 04-18-08, 02:58 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveJ
My '06 GS300 has near 41K miles and I haven't heard brake squeeling yet, but I'm pretty easy on the car. It will probably be due for front pads soon.

Regarding CPO, I bought our RX330 CPO. The SUV's great, but there were many minor things wrong with the car that I found after I bought the car. The dealer took care of everthing I asked without hesitation. But I was disappointed with the CPO program and how this car was supposedly certified.
I talked to the sales manager, and it doesn't sound like there will be a problem. He looked over the certification and said the rear pads were replaced.

He said their goal is 100% satisfaction and anything less is failure, so I expect if it left the lot actually needing front pads too, it will be taken care of. If there is another squeal, he's expecting to hear from me.
Old 04-19-08, 05:33 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drpepper
I talked to the sales manager, and it doesn't sound like there will be a problem. He looked over the certification and said the rear pads were replaced.

He said their goal is 100% satisfaction and anything less is failure, so I expect if it left the lot actually needing front pads too, it will be taken care of. If there is another squeal, he's expecting to hear from me.
Good deal. I will say, Lexus does seem to take it's 'service' serious. (At least most of the dealers)