GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ML vs. Non-ML radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 07:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i listened to GS with and without the ML. the ML is better, but i agree it's not significantly better. however, i never touch audio stuff on my car. with the ability to play dvd and other features, i figure the money is worth it. that's why it was on our "must" list. still, i think the ML system on the GS is far better than most systems available on other cars out there.

the LS is a completely different story, it's on a league of its own. the GS doesn't even come close. the ML system on the LS is the ML reference system, only the system on LS and the new LX570 get this rating, which is the top within ML. the system on my ls460l completely blow away the GS, so much crispier, clearer, and solid. the base is fantastic.
Old 01-01-08, 07:54 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i listened to GS with and without the ML. the ML is better, but i agree it's not significantly better. however, i never touch audio stuff on my car. with the ability to play dvd and other features, i figure the money is worth it. that's why it was on our "must" list. still, i think the ML system on the GS is far better than most systems available on other cars out there.

the LS is a completely different story, it's on a league of its own. the GS doesn't even come close. the ML system on the LS is the ML reference system, only the system on LS and the new LX570 get this rating, which is the top within ML. the system on my ls460l completely blow away the GS, so much crispier, clearer, and solid. the base is fantastic.
So, why didn't the GS "qualify" for the top system? I must tell you the combination of a GS with an LS is a really nice way to go. While I love the looks of the GS my bet is my back would be calling for that LS as the daily driver.
Old 01-01-08, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Valueguy
So, why didn't the GS "qualify" for the top system? I must tell you the combination of a GS with an LS is a really nice way to go. While I love the looks of the GS my bet is my back would be calling for that LS as the daily driver.
maybe it's a budget thing? maybe it's a status thing (that lexus wants the best system in their top of the lineup cars)? it's a good question and i don't have a good answer. maybe the cost of putting the 19 speakers system on the rest of the lexus lineup cost too much? after all it's not just putting everything in the car randomly. ML goes through all the acoustic and testing, that's why every lexus car is different
Old 01-01-08, 09:29 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it is unfortunate to have a base "lexus premium sound" system and a ML system and then have a different caliber of ML reference system ....ML should be the upgraded and best PERIOD, there should not be a better ML reference system
Old 01-01-08, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, i think it depends on how you see it. it's the case for all companies. bose has upgrades for a lot of companies. their upgrades on the TL (back in my TL days) was hurtful on the ears. but hey, they were bose. however, if you pay the money, some bose system sounds pretty sick.

everything comes in a price tag, and a lot of times money buys you quite some stuff. i think it doesn't make sense to say upgrade and it has to be the best. heck, to be honest, if it has to be the "best" ML system, the car will probably be not affordable to most of us.

imho there is a "limit" or "sweet spot" for things. the ls460 is an expensive car, lexus has more "margin" to play with. it just so happened that the margin was enough for ML to put a system that "qualifies" as the reference system. on the gs, the margin can't be as much, and ML has to do the "best" they can. it's not like they do a crappy job on the 3gs ML system

same thing on the pretty gs300/430 and ls430 ML system. they were both ML, but the system on the ls430 sounds a bit better than the gs system. the only thing was the ls430 system wasn't good enough to be classified as "reference" system. but you didn't see people complain in that way
Old 01-01-08, 09:41 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

I have put together sound systems myself and it is amazing how much better even a simple infiniti components speaker set and a decent sub can make a car sound sooooo amazing. I think the ML audio system in the GS is great but not exceptional or something I would have buddies come in and "hear". honestly I dont know what it costs as an option and what all is added (like park sensors), if it is just the stereo system, it is not worth it unless you really want the DVD playback option (which I have to admit is pretty cool)
Old 01-01-08, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I have put together sound systems myself and it is amazing how much better even a simple infiniti components speaker set and a decent sub can make a car sound sooooo amazing. I think the ML audio system in the GS is great but not exceptional or something I would have buddies come in and "hear". honestly I dont know what it costs as an option and what all is added (like park sensors), if it is just the stereo system, it is not worth it unless you really want the DVD playback option (which I have to admit is pretty cool)
i guess i missed your point? you wasted your money on ML?

i think when it comes to system, let's throw out aftermarket. as simple as the mod can be, bottom line is from factory didn't have that setup, that's the cut-off. sometimes changing speaker wires already help noticeably, so? they are not longer factory. i know how crazy good aftermarket setup could be, i have friends who won countless national trophies with their cars.

and people who i know are hardcore, they probably won't spend the money on ML in the first place. but they do say for stock, ML in general is fantastic
Old 01-01-08, 10:06 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

My point was (As in many previous threads on ML and base as concerning to the 06+ gs), it is probably not an option that is worthwhile unless you use audio DVDs which utilize the full potential of the system.....
Old 01-02-08, 12:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Obviously, car that is 75k has better components than car that costs 45k :-).

But for those who cant notice the difference between stock and ML, I wonder did you try at 50 volume? Because ML has no distortion all the way to the top, which I find hard than stock system will replicate.
Old 01-02-08, 01:10 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Obviously, car that is 75k has better components than car that costs 45k :-).

But for those who cant notice the difference between stock and ML, I wonder did you try at 50 volume? Because ML has no distortion all the way to the top, which I find hard than stock system will replicate.
My ears are pretty expensive components of my body's. I don't think I'll be listening to much music at a 50 volume level. And I don't really care a whole a lot about how the GS handles over a 100 since I won't driving it that fast. There are certain limits at which the GS may shine nut I'll just never know it, nor care.

Last edited by steverhode; 01-02-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-02-08, 01:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steverhode
My ears are pretty expensive components of body's. I don't think I'll be listening to much music at a 50 volume level. And I don't really care a whole a lot about how the GS handles over a 100 since I won't driving it that fast. There are certain limits at which the GS may shine nut I'll just never know it, nor care.
you may not, but some of us will... GS handles great over 100 and ML sounds really nice at 50

:-)
Old 01-02-08, 01:45 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I listen to non-ML on 50 all the time and it doesn't seem to distort. Sure, it doesn't sound as good or as loud as an Accord I had previously, but that had midrange aftermarket components in it. I try not to go beyond 50 though cause I'm not sure how much the stock system can handle. Which leaves me the question. How high does the number actually go?
Old 01-02-08, 03:58 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 94 Lexus GS300 with the Nakamichi Sound System...and I can honestly say that it sounded MUCH better than the ML system I have in my 06. In fact I traded an 06 Acura RL in ...and the Bose system on that had better highs and a more 'balanced' surround sound. BUT... the BASS on the ML is much better than both prior systems. (although the Nakamichi came close) The 8" sub on the RL just didn't cut it...and when you would turn it up.. the headliner would vibrate and make way too much noise.
Old 01-02-08, 05:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mysteryan
I listen to non-ML on 50 all the time and it doesn't seem to distort. Sure, it doesn't sound as good or as loud as an Accord I had previously, but that had midrange aftermarket components in it. I try not to go beyond 50 though cause I'm not sure how much the stock system can handle. Which leaves me the question. How high does the number actually go?
i think its 65... and distortion free.
Old 01-02-08, 11:26 AM
Dallas777
Driver School Candidate

My 07 had the standard system and my 08 has the ML system.. I can tell just a little about the differences, but for day to day driving, listening to the radio... no noticeable differences... However, put a CD in and the audio system is great... The truth is i wanted the DVD audio and video options that are only available with the ML system...

I really want all the NAV, phone, and CD safety blocks taken off...If I can afford to pay for this vehicle I should be responsible enough to put on my own security controls...Not being able to see the track names of songs being played is annoying as hell sometimes.

Quick Reply: ML vs. Non-ML radio