GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ML vs. Non-ML radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 06:38 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML vs. Non-ML radio

I have the ML in my 2008 GS 350. I am completely underwhelmed by this expensive stereo. I have the JBL upgrade in my 4 Runner. The ML is better but not 2X better. I am not impressed with the ML. Those who skipped this feature are probably not missing a whole lot.

Anyone directly compare a ML and non ML GS? Is there much difference in sound quality? I was expecting a true "experience" in my car with ML. Perhaps, I should have expected a nice radio system like the Bose upgrade in my old AMG E. I am not sure the ML is any better than that stereo.

Would most of you order the ML if it came separately? I imagine the LS really gets the "true" ML stereo treatment.
Old 12-31-07, 07:45 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Yes, the ML in the LS is a great stereo. I also had the ML in my ES350. The ML in the ES350 wasn't great like the LS....however the ML in the ES350 is much better than the standard stereo. I have no regrets in getting the ML in both the LS and ES.
Old 12-31-07, 07:51 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Originally Posted by Valueguy
I have the ML in my 2008 GS 350. I am completely underwhelmed by this expensive stereo. I have the JBL upgrade in my 4 Runner. The ML is better but not 2X better. I am not impressed with the ML. Those who skipped this feature are probably not missing a whole lot.
I agree. Compared to my 4Runner JBL, I was expecting a "WoW" experience and honestly can't tell much, if any difference. Maybe they are both just nice systems.
Old 12-31-07, 07:57 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it has to do with the source too, if you use a 5.1 source, it will probably sound better. I have the JBL upgrade in my prius and the regular stereo in the wife's RX. Can't really tell if the system sounds better in the ML of my gs350. I figure there's only so much they could do with a car system.
Old 12-31-07, 11:27 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Anyone directly compare a ML and non ML GS? Is there much difference in sound quality? I was expecting a true "experience" in my car with ML. Perhaps, I should have expected a nice radio system like the Bose upgrade in my old AMG E. I am not sure the ML is any better than that stereo.

Would most of you order the ML if it came separately? I imagine the LS really gets the "true" ML stereo treatment.
I once spent an entire hour going back and forth between 2 RXs, we were thinking about buying, one with ML and one without, playing various classical selections and various rock tunes on commerically purchased CDs and some selections on FM. I could tell ABSOLULETY no difference whatsoever on the RX with and the without ML.

Based on my memory, neither RX -- no surprise -- was nearly as good as my home stereo system. And both of the RXs had about the same, based on my memory, audio quality as my 2GS, which has the standard audio in it.

Bottom line: I found no reason to buy ML other than the ability to play DVDs and DVD-As. Even so, I got an ML on my new GS350. Why I did so, I really have no idea. My test data -- albeit on an RX rather than a GS -- did support the purchase.
Old 01-01-08, 12:47 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

For me, its all about the highs and distortion. I'm not too much into mids or bass and if its bass then it has to be a real sub. My last car was a civic and I had MB quarts in it... highs like no tomorrow along with two JL 12s. i still have the system sitting around, but its not going into my car anytime soon or ever. Its a plus that my car comes with a nice system so i dont have to do so much work to mod it and so on to fit my taste.
Old 01-01-08, 01:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by moolman
I think it has to do with the source too, if you use a 5.1 source, it will probably sound better. I have the JBL upgrade in my prius and the regular stereo in the wife's RX. Can't really tell if the system sounds better in the ML of my gs350. I figure there's only so much they could do with a car system.
after reading over forums, first day with my GS with ML, I thought ML is nothing special.

Then I got some decent sources, cranked it up and woa, it sounds freakin awesome.

It sounds 100000x better than JBL in my Prius (which is good but nowehere as great).
Old 01-01-08, 04:32 AM
spiralynth
Rookie

It's very simple -- the ML's advantage is DVD-A/V source and 7.1 surround reproduction. You would need a dog's ear, or at least a trained or audiophile ear, to readily decipher the nuances from standard CD, radio, and especially lossy/highly compressed MP3 sources, but with enough comparitive study, you could theorically do so because in the final analysis the specs are different.

I have a large collection of music on DVD-A/V that would make the ML a no-brainer option. Listen to Porcupine Tree's highly-regarded, award winning, 5.1 mix of their release "In Absentia" on the ML and tell me your ears don't gasm.
Old 01-01-08, 07:40 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I agree. I compared the ML directly with the standard GS stereo. The difference was almost zero. I am an audiophile also. I went with the ML because of the package it was combined with at the dealership that I ended up buying the car at.

With all of that said, the main reason to get the ML is because of Video not the audio. Music DVDs can be completely controlled (once you've done the hack) and having a picture is very, very cool!
Old 01-01-08, 09:03 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for the "clean source" I did not get ML in mine for a few reasons. ML always come equipped in a car with NAV, and I was against NAV unit (not the best in the industry, overpriced, and requires DVD upgrade every couple of years which costs more than some portable external NAV unit). Regular GS350 stereo comes with the same NAV touch screen and all the controls for audio, climate, and bluetooth. Its not as powerful and probably doesn't have as high SNR, but my main source of audio is Satellite and CDRs. For the radio its adequate. And, for mp3s on CDR listening on ML brings out all the flaws. I did A/B it on ML system and mp3s sound wasn't that good.
Old 01-01-08, 09:07 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spiralynth
It's very simple -- the ML's advantage is DVD-A/V source and 7.1 surround reproduction. You would need a dog's ear, or at least a trained or audiophile ear, to readily decipher the nuances from standard CD, radio, and especially lossy/highly compressed MP3 sources, but with enough comparitive study, you could theorically do so because in the final analysis the specs are different.

I have a large collection of music on DVD-A/V that would make the ML a no-brainer option. Listen to Porcupine Tree's highly-regarded, award winning, 5.1 mix of their release "In Absentia" on the ML and tell me your ears don't gasm.
I agree. On a stock system, it gets distorted once u get into maybe the 40s or so. With the windows down I crank it up for 50+ and it still sounds great.

Also, you have to play around with the settings. I love highs so my mids are half and lows are all the way down.
Old 01-01-08, 10:40 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Exclamation For Parking Assist, Must Get ML

Actually, the deal clincher for me came when my salesman told me that they never got a GS in with the parking assist unless it had the ML as well. Don't know why and don't know how accurate he was, but based on what I've seen in various GSs on the lots, I think he is basically right. I *LOVE* the parking assist, especially in our very tight garage space.
Old 01-01-08, 03:21 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Lexus knows how to upsell, I also got the ML just to get the parking assist. It is true, unless you special order the parking assist only gets added to cars after the ML. It could vary by region but put your zip code into the main lexus site and you can see the packages available.
Old 01-01-08, 04:00 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I'm not going to lie... I got the ML because of park assist and the audio system. I only found out about the park assist after looking at a few GSs.
Old 01-01-08, 05:40 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
Actually, the deal clincher for me came when my salesman told me that they never got a GS in with the parking assist unless it had the ML as well. Don't know why and don't know how accurate he was, but based on what I've seen in various GSs on the lots, I think he is basically right. I *LOVE* the parking assist, especially in our very tight garage space.
LOVE parking assist and like the NAV toy. I would buy the ML just for the parking assist which Mercedes charges $1100 for a stand alone option.
For our extra dough we get everything NAV, ML, parking assist for a good price.

Quick Reply: ML vs. Non-ML radio