GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What do you like/don't like about your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 01:42 PM
2010GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you like/don't like about your GS?

After browsing through the roll call thread (what happened to it?), I think I'm in love with the GS. I won't buy another new car until next year, but already have been looking into it. I have come down to GS and the new 5. I think they both look gorgeous. I see that lexus.com has a comparison on their site, but I want to get some opinions from the owners. My question for you is that can you list what you like most about your GS and what you think not so good about it? Many thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-08, 02:11 PM
GatorWPB
Driver

Welcome to CL!

As a previous owner of an '05 530i, I test drove the 08 535i and decided to go with the 08 GS350.

Here's a quick comparison of both:

535i - Pros
I preferred the BMW handling and suspension, especially with the sport package. I had the active steering on mine as well, and it was simply amazing the feel of it. Valet drivers would comment on the steering of my car every time. I also had the 6-speed manual which I prefer. But even without the sport and steering, the car seemed more attached to the road. Also, maintenance is included, although its all factored in the cost of the car.
Cons
The interior was much more basic, without all the fun gadgets that the GS has. The bluetooth didnt work as well and the interface with i-drive wasnt as nice as the touch screen in the GS. Same with the navigation. My 530 did have some smart options, such as the turn signal blinker would blink 3 times if you slightly presses it, rather than just once with the GS. Not sure why that sticks in my head, but it was a nice little thing when changing lanes.

GS350 - Pros
The automatic transmission is amazingly smooth. Also, the pickup for a v-6 is incredible, much more than I thought. the interior is very luxurious, the leather too. the steering wheel feels great to my hand and fingers. Navigation, bluetooth, and touch screen all very nice, and one of the main reasons I chose the GS.
Con
Softer ride, more side to side sway, softer steering (as in more steering wheel turn to make turns with car).
Also, the head room is an issue with me. I always feel like my head is going to hit the roof, I wish the seat could be lowered just a couple more inches.

All in all, I am VERY pleased with my GS350 and glad I chose it over the 535. One thing with me though was the fact that I had a new model 530i and I didnt feel like I was getting that "wow a new car" feeling if I went with the BMW. I certainly have that now.

I also test drove the M35sport and didnt care for the interior at all. Felt cheap to me.
Old 01-03-08, 02:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

- the power vs gas mileage. a v6 engine with over 300hp and reasonable about of tq, but yes having this kind of gas mileage? what else can i ask for, it's great!
- nav is easy to use and clear
- ML audio is very good, much better than most stock i have seen out there

don't like:
- the trunk. it's pretty small, especially when compared to other cars in the same league
- the shoulder and head room are not as much imho
Old 01-03-08, 03:55 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Like/Love
* Power and Gas Mileage
* ML/NAV
* Folding Mirrors
* Big Brakes

Dislike/Hate
* Small trunk
* Less headroom comparing to my previous 2GS
* Excessive chrome trim on the grill
* Small size DONUT spare tire

OVERALL I love my 3GS, and enjoy driving it every damm second of it.
Old 01-03-08, 09:15 PM
2010GS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the GS is more balanced inside out. But the look of the new 5 really gets me. I guess I still have a lot of time to make this decision. Hope there will be some more changes next year. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-08, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

love the power and the smoothness of the tranny and the motor. Absolutely horrible on head room and trunk space. I love it more than any car I have had before. isnt the % series alot more exspensive. I got my gs at the same cost I would have got a bmw 335 4 door.The 3 series coupe they want 51k for. I am 6'5" and 295 lbs and in the beamer I can touch the back of the rear seat from the drivers chair, and I felt that I could open the passenger door without leaning over. TOO small and too exspensive. They handle perfectly and I find they are unmatched in that department, but I figured save the 11k and lower my GS and have better reliability. Plus I stick with the japanese brands. Personal prference

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-03-08 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 12:46 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Like/Love
* Power and Gas Mileage
* ML/NAV
* Folding Mirrors
* Big Brakes

Dislike/Hate
* Small trunk
* Less headroom comparing to my previous 2GS
* Excessive chrome trim on the grill
* Small size DONUT spare tire

OVERALL I love my 3GS, and enjoy driving it every damm second of it.
I'll do my list later, but it's interesting how different people value and see things differently, e.g.:

YOUR Like/Love
* Power and Gas Mileage -> Good but nothing special in power and only OK at best (17.5) MPG around town.

* ML/NAV -> Amen!! I agree completely. I love 'em both

* Folding Mirrors -> w/o autofold, these are completely useless to me, especially since the switch is hidden in something I have push out and can't see anyway since the steering wheel is in the way

* Big Brakes -> They are fine I guess. Rarely have occasion to use them since I don't do panic stops other than every year or so.

YOUR Dislike/Hate
* Small trunk -> holds everything I need with plenty of room to spare. We take my wife's van when we need more carrying space

* Less headroom comparing to my previous 2GS -> I agree but I see it as more of a visibility issue

* Excessive chrome trim on the grill -> I ABSOLUTELY ADORE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE EXTERIOR LOOKS

* Small size DONUT spare tire -> Don't care

MISSING FROM YOUR LIST

Most of all, I would have lack of a decent seat and lack overall driver comfort as by far the number 1 disappointment from the view of a long-time 2GS owner (1998 GS300).
Old 01-04-08, 04:54 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you're already in love with the 3GS, I'll just point out my dislikes:
--headroom: I'm 5'11" and I've hit my head twice although my seat is at the lowest setting. I also feel bad for anyone over 6 feet tall to be sitting in the back seat...

--trunk: it's not that big to begin with and the small opening just takes away even more functionality. The pathetic light is, well, pathetic.

--folding mirror: no auto-folding

--wheel gap: especially larger on my AWD.
Old 01-04-08, 06:02 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Pros:
Lots of power
Aesthetically perfect inside and out.
Very nice fit and finish.
Heated seats work better then the last car

Cons:
Can’t find a comfortable seating position.
Unhappy with the premium sounds system.
Can’t stand the AWD stance.
Hate the stiff run flats.
Old 01-04-08, 08:17 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on top of everyone's likes, i will add mine

8sp tranny is smooth as butter, going 100mph runs the engine at 2.2k rpm, awesome mileage
amazing engine
LED EVERYWHERE, I LOVE IT!
low engine growl, was afraid this car would be dead silence, i am so glad i can hear the exhaust and engine
navigation is perfect
love the runflats despite what everyone says, don't care about spare, saves weights on my car

dislikes:
no LED in trunk, completely worthless light on the right side
interior gets so dusty fast for some reason
annoying parking sensor light on dash when it's activated! it should light up when it's OFF, not the other way around
turning AFS off turns on another light in the dash! annoying! i don't want my headlight to turn years after years, i can only sense bad thing from all these moving parts
everything locks out while car is in motion
*can't stop driving the car because it's so awesome that miles add up so fast
Old 01-04-08, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whlkev
on top of everyone's likes, i will add mine

8sp tranny is smooth as butter, going 100mph runs the engine at 2.2k rpm, awesome mileage
really? that sounds low. on my ls460l, at 80mph, it's right at 2k rpm. only another 200 rpm to 100?
Old 01-04-08, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by steverhode
I'll do my list later, but it's interesting how different people value and see things differently, e.g.:

YOUR Like/Love
* Power and Gas Mileage -> Good but nothing special in power and only OK at best (17.5) MPG around town.
17.5mpg?! either you have super heavy foot or you do tons of local driving. i have yet to go any lower than 22mpg and i do mixed drivings. for this engine size, the gas mileage is pretty darn good
Old 01-04-08, 09:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
17.5mpg?! either you have super heavy foot or you do tons of local driving. i have yet to go any lower than 22mpg and i do mixed drivings. for this engine size, the gas mileage is pretty darn good
you dont want to hear my european, small city mpg numbers

:-)
Old 01-04-08, 09:41 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

Default Here's Mine

Most of the people on this board are car nuts (which is a good thing -- lots to learn). I'm not, I just like a nice car. So, as background: I drive my cars until they die; My favorite cars in the past have been my Volkswagen Dasher, Mazda 626 hatchback and Acura Legend; I'm in the upper end of the age group here; I'm female.

Love Love Love:

*Smooth transmission and ride
*Nav (never had one before so maybe I'd like this in any car, but I know I wouldn't want a portable device; I don't like a lot of clutter/wires)
*Steering wheel - I love the feel of the wood in my hands. FWIW, my son doesn't like it - he thinks it's too slippery.
*Seats are very comfortable for me personally - my husband thinks the lumbar support could be better (we're both small people).
*Look and Feel, both interior and exterior

Like:

*Standard sound system
*Highway mileage (I'm getting around 22 combined; probably 19.5 in city driving)

Could be better:

*Would prefer to have the gas and trunk buttons outside the little drop-down door (mine's an '07; this has been fixed on the '08)
*Head room - it's fine for me; as I said, I'm a small person. But even I can sometimes feel my hair touching the ceiling.
*Trunk size - I don't really have a need for a bigger trunk (yet), but I can see that it is small - much much smaller than my Acura Legend
* I don't think the auto headlights come on soon enough -- I see lots of people with their lights on when I think mine should be and they aren't (FWIW, it's the law in California that you must have your headlights on when your windshield wipers are in use)

Hate:

*The Nav/audio motion lockout
*Trunk light
*interior reading lights

Regarding the other items people mentioned in their love/hate lists:

*Folding mirrors - I use it for one purpose only, and that's when I drive through the ATM, so auto-fold is a non-issue for me

*Small spare - don't care

*Big brakes - I don't even know what that means
Old 01-04-08, 09:43 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl

I do not have a heavy foot, but I do do "tons of local driving."

Quick Reply: What do you like/don't like about your GS?