GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Will miss the GS ... (defecting yet again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 02:59 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
depends on what you are comparing i guess. looking at the lease prices and the e63 is one hell of a deal
rominl, once again you are EXACTLY right!

i negotiated almost $11k off the E63 which has a sticker of just over $95k. it came out to be like $2,xxx under invoice. with the high residual and nice money factor for the Winter Event, it came out to be within $100/mo compared to the GS450h if you can believe it which is insane if you consider the 450h is $30k+ less in MSRP!!

that was motivation enough for us. i didn't think we'd even consider an AMG (we were initially looking at CLS550), but after seeing the kinds of discounts we could get in So Cal, we were thinking this could be a once in a lifetime thing for us. plus, when you hear the E63 roar at start, it makes you want to drool it's intoxicating

they are indeed two very diff cars. i mean for goodness sake the E is going to get 1/2 the mpg of the 450h but we had a fortunate 2007 so we decided to splurge a little i guess

p.s. we got it at House of Imports in Buena Park. they are great to work with, plus they had the white/black w/ black pano roof which was not as easy to find.
Old 01-04-08, 03:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a trade off I would do but the E63 is a marvelous car. You're right, they are tank-like and smooth but sporty when pushed. With the right wheels it goes to a whole nother level.
If you get one that is reliable, and I've heard that happens sometimes....then you have a winner. Problem is, I know a few people with E's and they all have numerous trips to service for electrical problems, brake problems....just problems.
Congrats and good luck.
Old 01-04-08, 03:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
rominl, once again you are EXACTLY right!

i negotiated almost $11k off the E63 which has a sticker of just over $95k. it came out to be like $2,xxx under invoice. with the high residual and nice money factor for the Winter Event, it came out to be within $100/mo compared to the GS450h if you can believe it which is insane if you consider the 450h is $30k+ less in MSRP!!

that was motivation enough for us. i didn't think we'd even consider an AMG (we were initially looking at CLS550), but after seeing the kinds of discounts we could get in So Cal, we were thinking this could be a once in a lifetime thing for us. plus, when you hear the E63 roar at start, it makes you want to drool it's intoxicating

they are indeed two very diff cars. i mean for goodness sake the E is going to get 1/2 the mpg of the 450h but we had a fortunate 2007 so we decided to splurge a little i guess

p.s. we got it at House of Imports in Buena Park. they are great to work with, plus they had the white/black w/ black pano roof which was not as easy to find.
lol, believe me, i did my share of homework when i thought about the s550 instead of the ls460l, so i know how mb works. they have "scary" msrp, but if you are to sit down and start working on numbers, you realize they want you to have the car more than anything. i am talking about lease though, buy still doesn't make much sense.

gosh, you guys came all the way from SD to beuna park to buy the car? you were right by my neighborhood

seriously, once of these days when i have the luxury (in case a car has to be at the shop), leasing a amg car is a pretty nice idea (for the price)
Old 01-04-08, 03:40 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, i know the feeling! luckily we lease our daily drivers so i tend not to think of MSRP as much as residuals.

when i first saw the sticker, i was like

then i actually went home and started crunching the numbers at it was like

shopping for AMGs in san diego sucks, they don't have enough to want to work with you. they were pulling the "oh, AMGs are hand built and so rare, not discounted off MSRP" bit. then you call around in OC and LA and some have like 17 in stock. all in all from MB SD's monthly lease price to what we got at House of Imports was a diff of about $450-$500/mo. i love car shopping in OC/LA; it's the best!
Old 01-04-08, 03:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hope you get to spend enough time with it on the road rather than the dealership service garage.
Old 01-04-08, 03:52 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ People, she got the AMG E63, not the E550. For those that know, AMGs are practically hand built (major drivetrain components), and have a more bullet proof reputation than the average MB . . .
Old 01-04-08, 04:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ People, she got the AMG E63, not the E550. For those that know, AMGs are practically hand built (major drivetrain components), and have a more bullet proof reputation than the average MB . . .
yup, i agree. the amg are usually of better quality. that's why i said if i lease one, i will tend towards the amg
Old 01-04-08, 04:32 PM
allklr
Pole Position

wow white on black with the panorama roof, That is a very rare combo from what I have seen. I checked out a few S550's with the panorama roof and that is a great option. Perfect Deal!
Old 01-12-08, 11:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

You made a good choice. I love my lexus but its not going to give that kind of performance.
Old 01-13-08, 02:19 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the white beast!
Old 01-13-08, 08:35 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

please explain how hand built means quality. Hand built usually means LOWER quality. Machines can do things much more precise than a human... oh yeah and they don't forget things. Think about it.
Old 01-13-08, 08:37 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow truly an amazing car.

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know how "fun" it is
Old 01-13-08, 11:26 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new car. I think you will have a blast.

From what I can tell, the 07+ 211s are pretty solid. Most of the issues that arise from this model came from the early 03s, the first year of production. It has gotten progressively better each year. The 07s seem to be the turning point, although the 05 and 06 are pretty good too.

With that being said, like others said, the AMGs are a different animal and you should have plenty of time to enjoy it.
Old 01-14-08, 05:04 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
That's great..........but the electrical components aren't handbuilt.
Look, no one is ragging on the car. I congradulate the purchase. It's a super nice car. But it is a crapshoot on the reliability aspect. Luck of the draw. That's all.
Old 01-14-08, 05:14 AM
silver2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlBoston
please explain how hand built means quality. Hand built usually means LOWER quality. Machines can do things much more precise than a human... oh yeah and they don't forget things. Think about it.
One way it helps is that machines dont/cant do quality control - no matter how bad the next part in the bin is they mount it

Quick Reply: Will miss the GS ... (defecting yet again)