GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

some men climbed Mt Everest. I installed VAIS with video for ipod SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 12:10 PM
tmv22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some men climbed Mt Everest. I installed VAIS with video for ipod SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi)

GS 2007 350 AWD is my first car ever. I could ask a guy nicely to install it, but graduating as an engineer... i figure i can do this!
i followed vvt-i verbatim from this thread. but still, i was sweating like mad! hahah by the time i ripped the nav unit out, i knew theres no going back!

here are additional pix i took while ripping things apart
[

[

[

[

the ipod is seen as CD changer2. so u can still play your regular cd from CD changer 1. playlists are seen as folders.

PROBLEM!!!!
I was able to watch the videos from the ipod as you can see. but after putting everything back.. no videos can be played! i could hear, but the screen is blank. maybe i clipped a wire while pushing the nav unit back?

also... i almost crashed the car. lol
i forgot to put the handbrake on! DOH. next thing i know, the car was rolling down the hill with my neck burried into the nav unit figuring which wires is which.

Last edited by tmv22; 01-04-08 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 12:14 PM
tmv22
Driver

with the car parked and engine on or off, no videos were seen after i put everything back. really weird. i will try to see whats going on and will do the nav hack with the switch at another time. if you have any tips, that would be greatly appreciated!!!

UPDATE!
i got the video to work. handbrake has to be applied!

here is the video of the unit in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiMmBdC7CvI

Last edited by tmv22; 01-05-08 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-04-08, 01:00 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

So with this unit, you are able to play videos through the nav screen with your iPod?
Old 01-04-08, 01:04 PM
tmv22
Driver

Originally Posted by bozer
So with this unit, you are able to play videos through the nav screen with your iPod?
yep!
video was working fine. but after i reassembled everything, no more videos.
Old 01-04-08, 01:47 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

not sure if this unit can override the video/navi lockout, but that might be the problem.

try...
putting it in park and play the video via ipod. if that works then try to do it while driving. if it doesnt then the hack as to be done to watch ipod vids.
Old 01-04-08, 02:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Haha nice IBM Thinkpad, I use the same one for work.

Nice write up. Congrats.
Old 01-04-08, 07:15 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Do you have full access to all playlists, genres, artists, albums, etc. with this iPod solution?
Old 01-04-08, 08:41 PM
tmv22
Driver

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Do you have full access to all playlists, genres, artists, albums, etc. with this iPod solution?
i havent played with it fully. but yes, i was able to see all my playlist. within each playlist, i could see all my files. one of my folder has 1200 songs...randomly, it accessed sandra- in the heat of the night.mp3. so im gonna assume theres no 99 songs per playlist limitation.
i've never play songs by any other methods except via playlists. i will try to see if i can access songs via genre, artists, etc....

in CD changer mode, the ipod cannot be controlled. only via the nav menu.
in DVD mode, you can control your ipod so you can select the videos you want to play.

edit
i was wrong, i could not see all 1000 songs within a playlist. the manual said you should only have 99 songs per playlist. and theres no way you can access songs EXCEPT via playlists.

Last edited by tmv22; 01-05-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-04-08, 11:24 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you have the ML package to watch the video? Or do you only have Navi and installing the VAIS w/ video allows you to play ipod video on a NON ML package? Am very interested in getting this if it allows video on NON ML package.

EDIT: Just look on vaistech website and it does indeed allows video on NON ML package, but wow.. for 350 I could've gotten the ML package. Also a question would be does this work with the Iphone? as an ipod and video?

Last edited by sush1a; 01-04-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 12:07 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for the write up! Get back to us about watching vids while the car is in motion and if you fixed your problem. I've been debating this mod for the longest time.
Old 01-05-08, 05:42 AM
tmv22
Driver

Originally Posted by sush1a
I assume you have the ML package to watch the video? Or do you only have Navi and installing the VAIS w/ video allows you to play ipod video on a NON ML package? Am very interested in getting this if it allows video on NON ML package.

EDIT: Just look on vaistech website and it does indeed allows video on NON ML package, but wow.. for 350 I could've gotten the ML package. Also a question would be does this work with the Iphone? as an ipod and video?
yeah, my setup is in my sig... i dont have ML. all i have is the nav unit.
i dont have an iphone. but the manual does say it will not work with iphone nor with ipod 6G
Old 01-05-08, 08:18 AM
tmv22
Driver

Originally Posted by kaotiq
Many thanks for the write up! Get back to us about watching vids while the car is in motion and if you fixed your problem. I've been debating this mod for the longest time.
i updated the post with a video. it is on youtube now. hope this helps everyone link here

apparently, you should not have more than 99 songs per playlist (mentioned in the manual). there is no way to access the songs except via playlists. so you cant select songs via genre...etc.
videos DO NOT PLAY unless the handbrake is on! DOHHH. i dont know if the nav hack will work to enable videos in motion... can someone verify this?
Old 01-05-08, 08:19 AM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I was on the Vaistech forum and thinking about this and the moderator there stated the unit does NOT overide the motion lockout. He stated you can ONLY watch video while the car is parked and for motion video you have 2 do the hack.
Old 01-05-08, 08:37 AM
tmv22
Driver

Originally Posted by BmoreGS4
I was on the Vaistech forum and thinking about this and the moderator there stated the unit does NOT overide the motion lockout. He stated you can ONLY watch video while the car is parked and for motion video you have 2 do the hack.
what is this hack you are talking about?
even when the vehicle is in park, no videos can be played. when i applied the HANDBRAKE ON, then the videos can be seen. so im thinking i can drive with the handbrake on and maybe the videos will play....
Old 02-02-08, 08:07 PM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

See the top sticky thread to view the whole Nav/DVD hack with instructions. This allows you to watch video whenever the vehicle is on, parking brake lock-out is disabled.

Quick Reply: some men climbed Mt Everest. I installed VAIS with video for ipod SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi)