GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08 | 09:02 AM
Stealth.GS
Rookie

Default GS Steering wheel

Hey,
I'm looking at getting an 08 GS and I was wondering if it is possible to change the steering wheel on it or at least change the wood. It won't be a deal breaker for me if I can't but I think I would like the look of it better with a regular leather steering wheel. I kinda find the shiny wood a little much, I would much rather perfer it in a matte finish or none at all.

p.s. This forum is great and it has really helped me sway my decision towards the GS. Just wanted to say THANKS!
Old 01-06-08 | 09:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

well, first question though, how are you going to find a all leather steering wheel? it has to be from another 08 gs so the airbag matches.

maybe it's better to just custom order the car?
Old 01-06-08 | 09:58 AM
Stealth.GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
well, first question though, how are you going to find a all leather steering wheel? it has to be from another 08 gs so the airbag matches.

maybe it's better to just custom order the car?
I really don't know....even if I did custom order the car I thought all GS's come with some sort of wood on the steering wheel

I was hoping someone had already done this some how but I guess not.....maybe I would have to bring it to some car shops and see if they can find a solution....maybe some sort of wheel cover?
Old 01-06-08 | 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Stealth.GS
I really don't know....even if I did custom order the car I thought all GS's come with some sort of wood on the steering wheel

I was hoping someone had already done this some how but I guess not.....maybe I would have to bring it to some car shops and see if they can find a solution....maybe some sort of wheel cover?
really? all gs has wood wheel standard now huh? i didn't follow up on that along the way

wheel cover is always an option i guess
Old 01-06-08 | 10:17 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

I could have sworn this was different in canada...the lexus.ca site states base GS has leather wheel

TRIM
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Leather Wrapped Shift ****

Last edited by EyeKutr; 01-06-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-06-08 | 10:27 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I wonder if the ISX50 steering wheel will fit on a GS. The button set up is almost identical...
Old 01-06-08 | 10:31 AM
Stealth.GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I could have sworn this was different in canada...the lexus.ca site states base GS has leather wheel

TRIM
Ya I see that also but it still has the wood.....
Old 01-06-08 | 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
I wonder if the ISX50 steering wheel will fit on a GS. The button set up is almost identical...
the 08 is totally different though, even the airbag is different. i suppose if you change the airbag as well that might work
Old 01-06-08 | 11:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

It's a smaller diameter steering wheel.
Old 01-06-08 | 12:56 PM
spider_55
Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr

TRIM

You are correct, the base GS has the leather steering wheel in Canada. It looks and feels great. I went with the ML package, so I have the wood. I also wish I had the leather steering wheel, or at least black wood. It's not bad, but it is my first steering wheel with wood, and will probably take some time to get used to it.
Old 01-06-08 | 02:39 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
the 08 is totally different though, even the airbag is different. i suppose if you change the airbag as well that might work
Originally Posted by flipside909
It's a smaller diameter steering wheel.
Yeah, I was thinking if you change out the steering wheel, might as well do the airbag. Now the 2nd question would be, are the contact points for the steering wheel controls the same as each other??

Originally Posted by spider_55
You are correct, the base GS has the leather steering wheel in Canada. It looks and feels great. I went with the ML package, so I have the wood. I also wish I had the leather steering wheel, or at least black wood. It's not bad, but it is my first steering wheel with wood, and will probably take some time to get used to it.
Really? I love the wood steering wheel. The wood adds a bit of richness to the car as well for me.
Old 01-06-08 | 02:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yeah, I was thinking if you change out the steering wheel, might as well do the airbag. Now the 2nd question would be, are the contact points for the steering wheel controls the same as each other??

Really? I love the wood steering wheel. The wood adds a bit of richness to the car as well for me.
The diameter of the wheel is smaller so you may have a problem with the wheel blocking your guages at different angles. Toyota/Lexus for the most part has the same airbag connectors, but they are serviced differently for every model. So there is that chance it may connect but not function.
Old 01-06-08 | 03:20 PM
Stealth.GS
Rookie

I would like the wood if it wasn't so glossy I wish it had a matte finish..the glossy look makes it look cheap IMO.....It would be cool if you can change all the wood in the car for piano black.
Old 01-06-08 | 05:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

I would like the wood if it wasn't so glossy I wish it had a matte finish..the glossy look makes it look cheap IMO.....It would be cool if you can change all the wood in the car for piano black.
hehehe, 2000 grid sand paper?

piano black is just as glossy though
Old 01-06-08 | 10:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Hey,
I'm looking at getting an 08 GS and I was wondering if it is possible to change the steering wheel on it or at least change the wood. It won't be a deal breaker for me if I can't but I think I would like the look of it better with a regular leather steering wheel. I kinda find the shiny wood a little much, I would much rather perfer it in a matte finish or none at all.

p.s. This forum is great and it has really helped me sway my decision towards the GS. Just wanted to say THANKS!
What interior color do you have BTW?

Quick Reply: GS Steering wheel